Optimizing Linux for Slow Computers

securitybreach

securitybreach
I've been researching a lot about Linux on the Desktop these days as you may see from my posts about Fedora 25 and Arch Linux (recommended!).

There are some things you must have in mind when migrating to Linux systems. Even if you have a top of the line Intel Core i7 Kaby Lake, 32GB of RAM, 2TB M.2 SSDs, you may still benefit from the optimizations I will talk about. One of the best resources is Arch Linux's Wiki page on "Improving Performance". You don't need everything there but it's a comprehensive resource that any enthusiast must read.

Screenshot_from_2017-01-17_16-55-46.png

It's about Responsiveness, not performance!

Most people's concerns are first about performance, and this is a mistake. Linux is plenty fast, but for many people it doesn't feel like so in the Desktop. When tuning a server, you'll really want to tweak for performance and high throughput. That's where most Linux configurations really shine over the competition: they come better tuned to get the most out of server configurations. But in a Desktop you don't want that. For example, you're copying a 20GB file to your old USB thumb drive, or you're unzipping a large file, or you're compiling that large package from source, or you leave Dropbox in the background syncing gigabytes of files from their servers. Or you're doing "nothing" (in the foreground at least, but Gnome Tracker is heavily indexing your files in the background) and your environment stutters, hangs for a few seconds, and keeps doing that every so often.

And you're left wondering why Linux is so bad compared to Windows or macOS where you don't see the same behavior on similar hardware.

There is a term that is still misunderstood: real-time...............

http://www.akitaonra...-slow-computers

• Like 2