#26 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

Now wouldn't that be neat. You'd have to come along too. :pirate:

We would really need a third hand for a sensible watch rotation . It's a very long way to Florida.

Or we could ship the boat to Cuba and then sail across
That way we could just about get by with just a crew of two
Linux counter no . 393441

#27 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:27 PM

I don't do boats/ships. Actually, I don't like to fly either, but in a case like this, I'd deal with it. All this is going to take is $$$. Once I hit that BIG lottery jackpot, we'll get it together. ;)

Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:24 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 04 September 2016 - 06:27 PM, said:

I don't do boats/ships. Actually, I don't like to fly either, but in a case like this, I'd deal with it. All this is going to take is $$$. Once I hit that BIG lottery jackpot, we'll get it together. ;)

Posted Image

Yup I keep buying the lottery tickets too.  One day :clap:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#29 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:08 PM

Oh, and short on semolians this month (as always). If you can hold onto that RAM, I'll try to scrounge up a few bucks for shipping to send to you sometime in the next few weeks. DO NOT ship before I send you the money! :angry2:

#30 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:28 AM

Hello,

Is that a 747-100?  Nice!

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP (Windows - IT Pro)

Facebook Google+ personal blog personal website Twitter

#31 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:33 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 05 September 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

Oh, and short on semolians this month (as always). If you can hold onto that RAM, I'll try to scrounge up a few bucks for shipping to send to you sometime in the next few weeks. DO NOT ship before I send you the money! :angry2:

:hug:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:05 PM

Ah... as with much of my 2016, everything turned to poop today when I bench-topped (assembled without a case on the bench for testing) this hex-core mobo and processor. NO POWER UP. :(

My friend told me it powered up before he removed it from the case it was in. Unfortunately, between then and now, something went amiss. It's either a processor or mobo issue, but I don't have another processor that I can test the mobo with, except the one on my current main system... and I don't want two toasted cpus. :(

I thought about grabbing a cheap used cpu on eBay, but the cheapest AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition is about $200. :th_run-around-smiley: So, the creation of my monster is going to have to wait a while, I guess. :wacko:

#33 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

The RAM made the scram from across the pond in just one week. Ain't that something? Got a stamp on it with the image of the Queen, too. Pretty COOL!

Thanks, Erik! I owe you for a few pints, I believe. :)

Oh, and nice packing job. ;)

#34 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 29 September 2016 - 04:42 PM, said:

The RAM made the scram from across the pond in just one week. Ain't that something? Got a stamp on it with the image of the Queen, too. Pretty COOL!

Thanks, Erik! I owe you for a few pints, I believe. :)

Oh, and nice packing job. ;)

Awesome! :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#35 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

@Eric been offline a bit and just saw this. Did you get it booting yet? It wouldn't be something silly like an old CMOS battery?
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#36 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:39 PM

I don't think so (about the battery), but who knows. It was still too hot to work out there, Ray, so I've put it off till around December, maybe. I'll go out there and tinker around with it then. I'll keep you posted...

~Eric

#37 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:59 AM

Far as I know, Fluke doesn't make much junk. Nice score, Eric!
Hope you get that mobo running. That it worked before is a
very good omen. I bet you figure out what is preventing it
from starting...
Special Limited Edition Cluttermaster 2007 with direct air cooling system.
"ClutterLabs" --open hardware for open software" .......... Registered Linux User 446867

("It takes an entire village to raise a child...")
"It takes only one bulldozer to raze an entire village..."
"Hey, Mel- isn't that your kid driving that bulldozer?"

In loving memory of Bruno Knaapen of Amsterdam, who shared
his love of Linux, and thereby made the world a better place...

#38 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:44 PM

Well, looks like my new Frankenputer project is a NO-GO. I was able to get a known good PSU to benchtop this thing and see if I could at least boot it to BIOS, but no joy. I'm getting one long beep at boot w/ no vid signal out from the vid card. This is a known vid card that came out of my main system, so I know it works. My guess is bad CPU or mobo.

Poop happens. :(

I guess I'll maybe do some updating (new drives, more RAM, new PSU, etc.) on my old system later this winter, maybe. Or, I'll just keep going as-is till I can run across a mobo/CPU combo worth building on.

And them's the updates fer today. :wacko:

#39 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

Ugh, that sux. Hopefully you run across some good hardware. :)

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#40 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

But wait! There may yet be life here.

I was bored this morning, so went out to the shop to piddle around. I got the great idea of inspecting (under magnifying glass and very bright penlight) the PCIe vid socket on the Gigabyte mobo that I've been trying to bring to life in this thread. Well, whaddya' know... there was an overheated spot on one of the contacts (actually turned the blue socket a stained brown color). I could actually see corrosion/crud on this one tiny little contact. So, I got me a pipe cleaner like this one...

Posted Image

... and soaked it in alcohol and commenced to scrubbing out the socket.

Afterwards, I bench-topped this mobo along with psu, RAM, keyboard, vid card, and monitor and fired it up once again. I got stuff to show up on the screen. YAY! It did a normal boot (one short beep tone on system speaker), but could not find a bootable disk. Of course not; I didn't have one hooked up. ;) I hooked up a SATA DVD player/burner and was able to boot into Porteus from a CD. Using Porteus' system utilities, I could see that all was working fine.

Oh, goody! I can build my new system now. Well, no... I can't. For some screwed up reason, I cannot access the BIOS settings using the DEL <delete> key. When I press it at start up, the post message says "Entering setup now," then in goes to a blank screen with a flashing cursor... no keyboard action, no nothing... just blink, blink, BLINK, FSCKING BLINK! :smashcomp:

So, I go online and ask my pal Google why I "cannot access BIOS with DEL key on GA-890FXA-UD5 mobo?" There are hundreds of answers with no real solutions. Seems this is a common Gigabyte BIOS issue, judging by everyone having this issue on posts from 2010-12 or so (when this mobo first came out). A flash of the BIOS may fix, but cannot access the BIOS to use the Q-flash tool.

Dr. Slackerstein is stumped. Maybe need to confer with Igor? :hmm:

#41 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:02 PM

Seems like you can't catch a break with this, Eric.
Registered Linux User 344759

#42 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, well... it all comes down to one thing, usually:

Having $$$ makes most things in life ever so much easier to deal with.

#43 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:35 PM

Well it's kind of some good news though. At least you can boot the computer, so there may be light at the end of the tunnel.  :)

#44 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:09 PM

Yeah, I think I can even install an OS on an hdd. Sadly, though... I REALLY need to get into this BIOS settings to flash to the newest BIOS and also to setup my hi-perf tweaks and overclocking. :(

#45 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:56 PM

Made a little progress today. I started installing everything in a case that Amenditman had given me a couple years ago... NICE case, actually. :) Anywho, I have the mobo, cooler, two DVDs (burner and player), three of the four drives (Maxtor 500G, WD 500G, my current Windows drive - a WD 320Gig, and another WD blue 320Gig) that will eventually be in this system, fancy-schmancy card reader/USB port, fans, case speaker, psu (not hooked up yet), etc.

Once I get the newest Slackware installed on the primary 500G drive and rsync'd onto the backup 500G drive, I'll then be able to cannibalize ericsbane06 (my current system); I need the vid card and the Windows drive (320G). Then all the customizing of the OS and tweaking the performance (assuming I manage to access BIOS once this is all done) will get performed.

With a little luck, I'll have ericsbane07 up and running as my main system in a couple more weeks. We'll see. Ericsbane06 is still a good system. I may add some stuff to it and make it ericsshop03-wifi, as my ol' ericsshop02-wifi (previously ericsbane05) is getting a bit long in tooth. Is all this fancy system nomenclature getting you confused? ;)

Well, I'm off to go get my ascii kicked playing a modded version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. called "Call of Chernobyl." FUN! :w00t:

#46 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:32 PM

Alrighty, then...

More progress today.

1) Finished installing PSU

2) Ran all wiring.

3) Was able to access BIOS after letting caps run dry overnight on mobo (reset CMOS). However, once I reinstall the battery and reboot, BIOS will not come up... a minor annoyance. I'll get it tweaked and setup, then I won't have to get into it again barring unforeseen issues down the road.

4) I solved the 3.7Gig out of 12Gig RAM showing up when I booted up Porteus from a CD. DUH! The Porteus version I was using is 32bit... cannot see beyond 3.7Gig. :teehee:

5) I have a bad DVDRAM (the one that came with the case that Amenditman gave me). The door intermittently gets stuck in the closed position. No biggie. I'll salvage the one out of ericsbane06 when the time comes.

6) The used 320Gig drive that I was going to use is bad, evidently. Neither BIOS nor fdisk in Porteus sees the drive at all. Swapped PWR cable and SATA cable... no joy. Oh, well. Turns out that you can't rsync ntfs partitions from within Linux, anyway. It won't do sector by sector sync. You need to use something in Windows cygwin or clone, etc.

7) Using Gparted in Porteus, I partitioned my 500Gig primary and 500Gig rsync drives exactly the same: 50Gig /, 100Gig /home, 320Gig /gen_storage, 6Gig /swap.

8) I installed Slack64 14.2 on /dev/sda (500Gig primary).

9) Using Grsync in Porteus, I sycn'd /dev/sda to /dev/sdb.

10) I turned everything off, fed the kitties, and came in here and turned this system on to post this. Oh, and I took some pics!

It LIVES!!!

Posted Image

Cable management is UGLY just now. It'll get better when I'm finished.

Posted Image

Partitioning with Porteus/Gparted; temps check in terminal... nice and COOL!

Posted Image

Of course, I had to refer to my friend GOOGLE for a couple things while working out there today. Ol' ericshop02-wifi helped out with that. :)

Posted Image

The To-Do List:

1) Grab DVD burns of my important files/directories from ericsbane06.

2) Copy DVD files/directories onto ericsbane07.

3) Set up and customize the new Slack/Xfce installation.

4) Remove DVD burner, vid card, 320Gig Windows/Archives drive from ericsbane06 and install in ericsbane07.

4.1) Clean up that cable mess!

5) Final tweaking of BIOS and OS on ericsbane07.

6) FIN! :w00tx100:

#47 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:39 AM

Hello,

Very nice!

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP (Windows - IT Pro)

Facebook Google+ personal blog personal website Twitter

#48 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

Posted ImageNow thats what I would call a cooler fan . Hope you have a bass woofer under the bench for listening to Pantera.

Bench looks good but waaayyy to tidy :hysterical: :hysterical:
Linux counter no . 393441

#49 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

Yeah, there's a little Logitech sub-woofer under the table. Sound is not too carpy out of that ol' ericsshop02-wifi system; not as good as my Logitech 5.1 in the house, though. ;)

#50 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:52 PM

OK, today's progress...

Cable management MUCH better now...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ericsbane07 has been installed in my computer room/office. It's the one on the left desk. The right desk is my office desk. I decided to trim down ericsbane06 and use it at that desk with my ol' 19" HP monitor. I also re-did wiring/cable management under my desks. It sorely needed it. ;)

Posted Image

Anywho, ericsbane06 is doing fine. I'm posting from that system now. In a few minutes I will begin the fun of setting up ericsbane07. Once I have networking, Nvidia drivers, sound, etc. working, I'll transfer important files/directories from ericsbane06 via SSH/ftp. Then, more customizing, tweaking, and so forth. FUN!

Toodles...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users