10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjf123

bjf123

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

According to iMore.com, Apple will release the iPhone 5, a new iPad Mini, and a new iPod Nano on September 12.  My iPhone 4 is starting to act up a bit and I've still got the original iPad, so I'm ready for both.  I'm thinking the new iPhone will be called just that, the new iPhone, and not the iPhone 5, like the new iPad is not called the iPad 3.
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

#2 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

I hope they will do a iPhone with the v5 smaller but still there, or something like that. Like they do with Routers with the same names but different versions.

I hope they do the new iPod Touch then too! The iPod Touch gets no love at all the last couple times out. And it's really annoying! ;) I would love to get a new one that will comfortably run iOS 6 and subsequent updates so it lasts longer than my last one. Many of the new versions of my apps will no longer run on my iPod Touch (2nd Generation). I love it but I am stuck in pre - iOS 5 mode in perpetuity sadly.

And what of this possible iPad Mini. They really need another size factor IMHO. Not everyone wants or needs a large 10" tablet like iPad, but the iPhone/iPod Touch is too small for some things.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#3 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

That will add another app layout requirement for apps to be coded for. Scaling iPad apps down will not work because UI elements will be too small to interact with.

I don't think developers would complain too much, but I know some will.

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

If they have converted to vector images, it will be much less work in the long run to go to another template size I would think.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,255 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

I'm still waiting on the iCranial_Implant. :whistling:

#6 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 04 August 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

I'm still waiting on the iCranial_Implant. :whistling:

This is as close as you will get. :D

http://passionemobil...v6-tooth-phone/

#7 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

View PostLilBambi, on 04 August 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

If they have converted to vector images, it will be much less work in the long run to go to another template size I would think.

It is not just vector images. Text needs to be scaled, and if the aspect ratio changes, then the developer may want to change the layout entirely. Some apps may go through some serious changes. If the "taller" iPhone 5 comes out this September, than the landscape view is going to be an issue for many. Otherwise, the aps may end up looking like garbage, and that is something Apple does not want to happen.

Adam

#8 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,255 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

View Postross549, on 05 August 2012 - 07:12 AM, said:

This is as close as you will get. :D

http://passionemobil...v6-tooth-phone/

Gives a whole new meaning to "Chew your food!" ;)

#9 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

View Postross549, on 05 August 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

It is not just vector images. Text needs to be scaled, and if the aspect ratio changes, then the developer may want to change the layout entirely. Some apps may go through some serious changes. If the "taller" iPhone 5 comes out this September, than the landscape view is going to be an issue for many. Otherwise, the aps may end up looking like garbage, and that is something Apple does not want to happen.

Adam

Like websites, they use templates for these types of things these days. Takes time, but not as hard as starting from scratch.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

That is true. :)

Just a bit more hassle for the developers.

Adam

#11 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

Yep :yes:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users