#1 OFFLINE   zillah

zillah

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:09 AM

Dear folk

My desktop windows 7 64 bit was working fine til I walked up yesterday and there was a red cross on the network icon!!!

Ethernet cable working fine as when i hooked it to my laptop everything is working fine , means problem lies within the desktop and nothing wrong with cable or router port.

Troubleshoot that I had done so far :

Restarted desktop 3 times, uninstalled LAN driver, connected new Ethernet cable

What else I need to check to find out what is going on ?

Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,420 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:14 AM

Well, I hate to say it but it could be a hardware issue as you have already ruled out the cable and the driver.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   zillah

zillah

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

Well, I hate to say it but it could be a hardware issue as you have already ruled out the cable and the driver.
Thanks admin
What i did I shutdown desktop and unplug power cable and waited for a while and now it is working ,,,,,,,,,,,,,credit to JohnC_21 from bleepingcomputer.com

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,420 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:48 AM

View Postzillah, on 16 April 2018 - 07:27 AM, said:

Thanks admin
What i did I shutdown desktop and unplug power cable and waited for a while and now it is working ,,,,,,,,,,,,,credit to JohnC_21 from bleepingcomputer.com

Well generally that is what you would do with a laptop (unplug battery and hold power button down for 30 seconds) but glad to hear that it is working now.

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   zillah

zillah

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

All good
I did the power-cycle for the desktop not the laptop as I had no problem with the laptop

#6 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,420 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:10 AM

View Postzillah, on 16 April 2018 - 07:50 AM, said:

All good
I did the power-cycle for the desktop not the laptop as I had no problem with the laptop

I understood that but I was just pointing out that that is usually the fix for a laptop, not a desktop.

#7 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,086 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:28 AM

Powering down the router might have worked too.

I usually run this tiny, no install program https://www.nirsoft....rk_watcher.html
because my old print server loses the connection from time to time. I run this to see if it is detected. If not, I power cycle the print server and have my printer in the network again.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Digerati

Digerati

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

Restarted desktop 3 times, uninstalled LAN driver, connected new Ethernet cable
Well, I was going to suggest a "cold" restart, but that's what you did in post #3.

Note when an ATX Form Factor compliant desktop/tower computer (PC) is plugged in (and if equipped, the master power switch on the back of the power supply is set to on) ATX power supplies are required to supply +5Vsb standby voltage to several points on the motherboard, including the network adapter. When you shutdown or reboot the computer, you are really just cycling the computer through a standby state, not "off".

This +5Vsb voltage allows for such features as "Wake on LAN" (as well as "Wake on Mouse" and "Wake on Keyboard"). On newer motherboards with W10, this +5Vsb is even used to keep data "alive" in RAM when the computer goes into sleep mode. This allows for quicker starts.

When you unplug the power supply (or switch the master switch to off) this removes all voltages, including that +5Vsb voltage and releases any settings - including any network connection - that may have become corrupt for some reason.

Then, when you connect power again and boot, those settings (and "handshaking" between the computer and router) are "refreshed".

Note if you simply shutdown your computer, many network adapters and routers will still show an activity light indicating there is still a connection on that port. On my gigabit network, my LEDs change to yellow indicating 100Mbps in standby mode. Then they switch to green (1Gbps) when fully booted.

So this IS a very common fix for desktops too. I always recommend doing a "cold" reboot for such problems (as well as trying another Ethernet cable and a different router/switch port).

Just remember with a notebook you have to remove the battery, not just unplug the supply.
Posted Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Posted Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users