win7 boot dvd won't -- UDF?

burninbush

So here's a dumb problem; I downloaded a win7 64b home-premium iso file, burned it as an image just like I've done a hundred times, but it won't boot. Eventually, looking at the iso file in a loop mount, I see a text file saying it is in UDF format, must be so because one of the files on the iso is larger than 2gb, i.e., iso 9660 has a 2gb filesize limit.

The file causing the problem is \sources\install.wim, which is 2.95gb size.

Neither of my desktops will even admit the dvd is in the drive, just hangs them until I eject the disk.

How can I install from this disk or file? The newer desktop here is less than a year old -- there must be some way to install win7 onto it. FWIW, I also have a 32b win7 iso from the same source (Digital River) that boots just fine [and install.wim on it is 2.19gb]. I see from googling that other folks have the same problem, but have not yet seen a solution.

TIA for any help.

Hmmmm .... I may be past this now, have two dvd's that will boot to the installer, but have not yet actually done an install from either. That will happen next week when I replace my tired amd64-3000 mobo with a new mobo and AM3 cpu. The windows running on the old board is win2k, which I'd love to keep but I know there won't be mobo drivers for win2k, and I don't really want another XP machine, so I plan to do the no-key win7 install, see if I can convince myself within a month to buy it. Don't think I'll have to do anything to run my linux distros on the new board.

So ... turns out that Microsoft has a tool to burn their iso file to a disk that will be bootable. Why they could not have distributed the iso in bootable form, I have no clue. But I dl'ed their tool, used it to burn the iso to dvd, and lo, it now is bootable. It will also make a bootable usbstick. The app installs and works on XP also.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Before finding this item at Microsoft, I stumbled onto another solution; the growisofs.exe tool that I found on a Slax cd was also able to make a bootable dvd from the MS iso file. From a cmd window, do

growisofs -Z -dvd-compat I:=H:\X17-24209.iso

... I used a dvd+rw that I had at hand. In that syntax, I: is the burner, H: is a data partition where the iso file landed. I use growisofs quite often to burn linux isos, it's quicker than gui burners, and it'll let me make a dvd multisession burn.

Looking at the two disks that work with Mint 13, it mounts the disk as type iso 9660, then insists there this is only one small text file on the disk. Note, this is not a burning error, my first two attempts both verified perfectly, but wouldn't boot.

As you were -- hope this mini-drama is useful to someone with the same problem.

Hello,

I wonder if there was a problem with the ISO you download?

I have never had any trouble using CDBurnerXP, ImgBurn or Microsoft's own Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to create a bootable DVD from the Windows Vista or Windows 7 ISO's downloaded from Microsoft's MSDN or TechNet services.

The ISOs have also worked without problem when used to create virtual machines with VMware Workstation and VirtualBox.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi ... the iso was downloaded from a site named Digital River -- which is apparently where you go to download an official MS product for which you have purchased online an install key?? The iso I got includes SP1, slipstreamed I suppose.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the iso, or with the disk after I burned it, as noted the first two I made verified good, one in k3b [linux] and the other by Nero. It's just that neither of my computers would boot from them. An OS that knows the udf format can read the data on the disk no problem [my XP install for example].

After using the MS tool to burn the dl'ed iso it boots fine, so whatever problem was not with the iso file.

It seems more like a bios issue -- no operating system is involved yet at boot time.

I'm not the only one who has had this problem -- google finds lots of sites complaining about the topic.

I may have a further clue to the problem; used dvd+rw-mediainfo to look at the disk structure on the working / not-working disks, and observe that the two that don't boot are burned as not-closed multisession disks, while one of the good disks has only a single session on it. I did nothing to make that happen/ not happen. So at the moment I'm thinking it may be a burner issue of some sort, but the content must also be involved somehow -- I regularly burn linux distros as multisession and they boot fine on the same puters. I do have a couple older laptops here that won't boot an unclosed multisession disk.

Both bios's are up to date, no help there.

Edit: correction, meant to say it may be a problem with my burner apps, not the drives themselves, which are nearly new Samsung dvd-r/w models. The apps used on the failing burns were 1) k3b and 2) Nero on XP. All the visible files on the good and bad burns are identical. Googling, some of the people who have complained about the problem say that ImgBurn will make a bootable disk from the MS iso. I see no place on either k3b or Nero to effect any changes to the burn layout [?] of an iso file.

Edited by burninbush

Ok, sorry to be so late getting back to you. I downloaded the X17-58997.iso and was able to boot it directly. I didn't burn it to a CD or DVD, so the ISO itself is good.

FWIW I boot ISOs using a bootable USB stick and Grub4DOS menus. This is the menu I used to boot the Win 7 SP1 x64 ISO.

title Windows 7 SP1 - x64\n\n\ When prompted press Enter to boot disc.
find --set-root /ISOs/X17-58997.iso
map /ISOs/X17-58997.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

BTW The ISO you used:

growisofs -Z -dvd-compat I:=H:\X17-24209.iso
is different than the one I used for the
I downloaded a win7 64b home-premium iso file,
which I found on the Digital River website. http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/ Edited by Ed_P

Hello,

Trying different disc burning software or closing those sessions might make make a difference. I'm unfamiliar with K3B and stopped using Ahead's Nero Burning ROM years ago so am afraid I don't have any specific suggestions about reconfiguring them.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky