Windows-Linux

DarkSerge

Hey all.

I recently had some problems with an old XP machine. I've got it working, but I'm thinking of putting Linux (probably Kubuntu or Xubuntu since I am most familiar with that family of Linux) onto an empty partition on one of the system's secondary hard drives and primarily use it when I don't need my Windows applications; like when I'm just doing online work or listening to podcasts or online radio.

One of the reasons I'm reluctant to use Linux as the primary OS on that computer is because I feel like adapting hardware to Linux isn't as easy in Windows where I just download a driver and run an installer. Seems it usually takes lots of searching for a driver for a particular piece of hardware, then the installation usually involves terminal windows and sudo commands where nothing ever goes as all the online tutorials say they should. So I ask, are there any versions of Linux that do have easy installing of drivers (or software) without the terminals and sudo commands? I know there are software repositories and managers depending on the version I install, but if I want something not in those databases, it becomes quite difficult.

Secondly, any versions that are good at sharing hard drives as network drives that would be accessed by a Windows 7 system?

Just researching for now for future reference, I probably won't install anything other than what I'm already familiar with right now. I'm more concerned about the whole ease of installation for software and drivers not readily available through a native software/package manager. Not being able to use some of my devices (like my colorimeter or printer/scanner) holds me back from getting rid of my old XP install completely.

securitybreach

That is mostly a thing of the past. The Linux kernel pretty much supports any piece of hardware you throw at it. Even if you had to install a driver, it would be just as easy as on windows.

Run the *buntu as a live CD/USB. Usually if you hardware works live it will be ok when installed (no guarantees though.)

Give us a rundown of your hardware also. Maybe we can spot possible difficult hardware.

If you're considering Xbuntu, I would suggest trying MX-14 from the brilliant Mepis family.

• Like 2

I would suggest trying MX-14 from the brilliant Mepis family.

Excellent choice.

Makulu Mate has an easy install and seems pretty stable.Based on Debian with what looks like some Mint flavouring.

Unless you have some exotic hardware linux driver issues are mainly a thing of the past. most of the distros I have tried these days seem pretty much plug and play.

If you have a usb drive 8GB and up then this thread may be of help.

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=68683&hl=

Using the E2Boot system allows you to very easily try out a number of live distros to see if they suit. :fish:

While I would agree with pretty much everything already stated in this thread, I would also add that the original poster likely has XP-era hardware; printers & scanners of that era are still notoriously "hit & miss" and if you've got a "miss" device, it isn't likely to be added anytime soon. For instance, Lexmark printers (nearly ALL of them!) and Xerox scanners almost never work in Linux. And furthermore, this is a MANUFACTURER problem, not a Linux problem!!! Unfortunately, if you've owned that device for longer than 30 days, you prolly can't return it and you won't be happy about it! Going forward, you're gonna have to learn which manufacturers are "linux-friendly" and purchase their stuff. For instance, HP is very linux-friendly and offers linux drivers for nearly all their devices. I have also found Brother and Epson to be very linux-friendly, although maybe I've just been lucky with AIO devices? And when I purchase new hardware, I ALWAYS make it a point to send an e-mail to the manufacturer to let them know that I recently bought their hardware; I had a tough time making the decision, as many manufacturers offer similar features; but ultimately, the fact they support Linux OSes was the feature that tipped the purchase decision in their favor; and that I'll continue to be a "vendor X" customer as long as they continue to be a Linux vendor.

If you already own it, you've got a tough decision...do I allow this older hardware to dictate my current options (sometimes you do!), or is it time to replace this older hardware?! Sunrat's advice is good regarding spotting difficult hardware. To the OP:

- what printer/scanner are you using?

- what is a colorimeter? and what is the make/model?

- does your machine have wifi? if so, please provide details...such as laptop internal wifi versus usb dongle...again, make/model...

IMO, the printer, scanner, and/or wifi are the 3 most common culprits of driver difficulties. And if this hardware is 5 years old, or less, the chances of it working "out of the box" with no effort whatsoever on your part are extremely good!!!

Guest LilBambi

Good point but I think Darkserge said she would be mostly using her laptop but needed access to the files in his other thread about this Windows XP issue she was dealing with.

Darkserge what hardware is in this Desktop? Some XP machines were actually pretty hefty (at least regarding Linux).

Edited by LilBambi
gender correction

securitybreach

I beg to differ on the Lexmark support as I have owned a few of them. From the Archwiki:

Lexmark does provide drivers for Linux systems with all their hardware and can be installed in two differing ways. The preferable is to create an Arch-based PKGBUILD so you can keep track, maintain... of what is installed; the other method is to use the automated script installer created by Lexmark.

https://wiki.archlin...dex.php/Lexmark

And from Lexmark's driver page

lkYZ9hx.png

They offer driver downloads for only about 30 distros and some are old versions but it should still work.

Just a comment--I use openSuSE 13.1 on a 2009-era Lenovo laptop that originally came with XP installed. I've had no hardware issues, although I don't use wi-fi so can't comment on that.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

The only thing that I do with older hardware is to do the install with a wired ethernet and setup the wireless after getting updates.

The wireless is generally the only none starter and generally only till you get updates.

THANKS for that info SB! I've always had issues with Lexmark stuff, and googling for solutions usually leaves me empty-handed. I almost bought a Lexmark laserjet a few years back, as I actually saw a Penguin Logo with the words "Linux compatible" on the box!!! But I went with another manufacturer based on the perceived risk of continued support from what I considered to be a lower-tier linux provider. I'm gonna have to check out that site a little better and perhaps reformulate my opinon?

Do you know if the Lexmark AIO drivers will work with Dell AIO devices they manufacture for Dell? I've had issues in the past with ink cartridges etc... being incompatible, even though the devices were identical except for the badge. Apparently Dell does something with the chip to force supply purchases from Dell, or so I've read. Is it the same with drivers? Will a Lexmark driver work on an identical device, but with a Dell badge on it?

I beg to differ on the Lexmark support as I have owned a few of them. From the Archwiki:

[/size][/font][/color]

https://wiki.archlin...dex.php/Lexmark

And from Lexmark's driver page

lkYZ9hx.png

They offer driver downloads for only about 30 distros and some are old versions but it should still work.

securitybreach

Do you know if the Lexmark AIO drivers will work with Dell AIO devices they manufacture for Dell? I've had issues in the past with ink cartridges etc... being incompatible, even though the devices were identical except for the badge. Apparently Dell does something with the chip to force supply purchases from Dell, or so I've read. Is it the same with drivers? Will a Lexmark driver work on an identical device, but with a Dell badge on it?

If the models are the same, it should work the same.

If the models are the same, it should work the same.

I would think so too. No matter, though, foiled again. I steered 3 folks to Dell AIO 966 printers back when I was a MS user. All 3 users are very happy with that machine; all 3 machines are still going strong; and all 3 would like to give Linux a try, but don't want to replace that Dell AIO 966, which is the same device as a Lexmark X9350, but made for Dell. Unfortunately, the X9350 isn't on your linked list. Still paperweights in Linux land...sigh...

securitybreach

Well the Lexmark X9350 is over 8 years old so it is probably not supported on Linux and probably not supported on Windows 8 either unfortunately.

The XP machine. Pentium 4 @ 3 GHz, 2 GB RAM. Multiple hard drives. ATI video card, 64 MB, with DVI and VGA output (currently using two monitors as well.)

A colorimeter is used to colour calibrate my monitor. I do a lot of photo editing on that computer so I calibrate my monitor. The specific make is a Pantone Huey. The machine does not have wifi, It's just wired directly into the router. I have an HP D110 Printer/Scanner combo. Now that I think about it, when I made the original post, it was referring to an older computer (even older than the XP machine) that I had refurbished because it was going to the thrown out, so it's setup is different than the computer I plan to use.

As I said, I'm most familiar with the Ubuntu family of Linux, particularly the install process and the UI it runs to help install alongside Windows. I have used Linux Mint XFCE once before. Networking is probably my biggest concern (Including sharing the printer) since I want to be able to access the hard drives from my Windows 7 laptop. I was thinking if I use Linux alongside Windows, in the long run I'd get it working how I want it to with hardware and all, so in the next event of failure, I might be more willing to just stick to the Linux (even if it meant starting over, at least I'd have a better idea what to do.)

(Also, I noticed this earlier.. I'm a "he" not a "she")

DarkSerge, I am an Ubuntu user (12.04.4 LTS) and I feel confident your stated hardware will be fully functional in Linux, right out of the box! As long as everything is connected to your machine at time of installation, the installer will detect the hardware and will automatically install drivers for detected devices, no effort on your part. Even if you add a device post-installation, linux will often automatically detect the new hardware and automatically install a driver for it! How's that for ease of driver installation?!

In the interest of full disclosure though, I am a little hesitant to be as confident with your Pantone Huey colorimeter? When googling the Pantone Huey and Ubuntu, I see numerous posts about folks having trouble getting it setup properly, although many of those posts are circa 2007-2009ish. But I also see this post, indicating it isn't a problem: http://www.tuqix.org/wordpress/?p=232 (I note this post is December 2010, but references an installation on 2012 version of Ubuntu; therefore, this post HAS to be at least 2012; perhaps a 2010 post was updated to reflect the 2012 version?)

FWIW, this mixed-bag of results isn't unusual in Linux, as certain combinations of hardware and/or technical abilities will allow User A to achieve immediate success, while User B encounters challenges. Bottom line, if 1 person gets it working in Linux, it works with Linux! (IMO, this is no different than the MS Windows arena.) My conclusion is that your Huey will work; although we don't know how much effort it will require on your part. And this is why there are LiveCDs/LiveUSBs to try these things out before you commit and install!

Also, please forgive my ignorance as I am NOT a photographer, so I know very little about Photography hardware, photo processing, photo software, etc..., but FYI, there is a "Color" calibration setting in my Ubuntu 12.04 OS. Located by clicking on the top right gear setting, choosing "System Settings", then "Color"; this will provide a menu for color calibration of hardware devices connected to your machine. On my desktop, the monitor and 3 printers are automatically located and waiting for me to click "calibrate." Would this perform the same function as your Huey?

And while we're on the Photography software subject, perhaps this software will be of interest as a replacement for Adobe Photoshop-type software?

- Darktable, specifically for linux users: http://www.darktable.org/

- Lightzone, a cross-platform application for Linux, Windows & Mac users: http://lightzoneproject.org/

Finally, I would comment that your hardware is that it is a little light on processing power and, IMO, you should be looking at lighter weight desktop environments, especially considering your intent to process Photography images. While I am an Ubuntu user and a big fan of Ubuntu, I think Ubuntu would be a bad fit for your hardware. By all means, stick with the Ubuntu family you are familiar with, just not Ubuntu itself. IMO, you should be looking at LXDE and/or XFCE desktop environments, such as Lubuntu and Xubuntu. LXDE desktops are the lighter of the lightweights, but XFCE desktops are slightly more polished. While I have familiarity with LXDE environments, I can't offer much in the way of XFCE desktops, as I don't have much experience with them.

With my comments regarding your hardware, Ubuntu family of OS, LXDE and XFCE environments, I would encourage you to check out the following Ubuntu-based distros and see what works for you:

- Xubuntu; an XFCE desktop over Ubuntu OS: http://xubuntu.org/

- Lubuntu; an LXDE based desktop over Ubuntu OS: http://lubuntu.net/

- Zorin Lite; an LXDE respin of Ubuntu, resembling Windows paradigm: http://www.zorin-os.com/ (be sure to choose "Lite" version to get lighter weight LXDE desktop!)

- Mint XFCE; an Ubuntu based distro that you are already familiar with: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php (I would recommend the XFCE version for best performance on your machine!)

And may I "pimp" my own remixed distros as possible solutions for you?

- XPubuntu; a remixed Lubuntu to resemble WinXP: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xpubuntu/

- Pangaea-Lubuntu; a remixed Lubuntu to resemble the heavier Ubuntu Unity desktop: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pangaealubuntu/

I hope all these choices/options aren't overwhelming. Choice is good, and there are NO WRONG choices here. Just go with whatever works best for you, based on YOUR personal criteria of the appropriate mix of performance and aesthetics! Good luck Serge!

• Like 1

Actually, Xubuntu is the version I have the most experience with (I'm currently considering it for this system) as well as Mint XFCE (I've used that once before too) because I have an even older computer I refurbished from a dumpster for the sole purpose of experimenting with Linux (It is currently running Salix OS) and I think I even tried Lubuntu once as well. A few years back, I volunteered for a charity (Computers for Charity) and we took donated parts and built computers for people who couldn't afford them to help them connect online to find jobs or take classes, and we used various versions of the Ubuntu family to install on them depending on how good of hardware we were able to put together.

That's one reason I want to keep my Windows, because of my photo processing. I can't afford to upgrade this system or get a new one with a newer Windows OS, and although I have my laptop, I find the quality is better on a monitor than my laptop screen. I've tried GIMP before (both Windows and Linux) and I honestly still prefer Photoshop. If I can be comfortable enough with Linux counterparts that'd be great. The colorimeter calibrates based on what the monitor is capable of displaying. I know there are a few different visual calibration methods without external hardware, but the colorimeter I find more accurate especially since it measures and compensates for ambient light.

I have Photoshop CS3. The reason I prefer photoshop is because I like the specific tool options better and the RAW file options. It's been a while since I've used GIMP so once I get Linux put in I'll probably tinker with it and see how I like it now.

I downloaded an ISO for Xubuntu so I'll probably be putting that in soon. It's the version of Linux I have the most experience with and am most comfortable with.

• Like 1

I've got Xubuntu running on another patition now and I'm working on browsing the software I want to use.

First issue I'd like to solve is accessing a Windows share. I have a folder on an old computer that I use for file storage or moving files around. When I go to the file manager, under "Browse Network" an icon for Windows Network shows up, and when I open that, it shows a folder with the name of my Windows network, but when I try to open the folder, it tells me "Failed to retrieve list from server: Connetion timed out."

securitybreach

Here you go man:

https://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/03/how-to-fix-failed-to-retrieve-share-list-from-server-in-ubuntu-12-04-11-10-when-file-sharing-with-windows/

To get started, press Ctrl – Alt – T on your keyboard to open Terminal. When it opens, run the commands below to open samba configuration file.

sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

samba_config_precise_thumb.png

Finally, scroll down a bit in the file and find : WORKGROUP = Workgroup_Name. Right below that, type the line shown below and save the file.

name resolve order = bcast host

samba_config_precise_1_thumb.png

Restart your computer and try again. I hope it works for you.

• Like 1

sudo: gedit: command not found

If I go in the file manager to the file itself, I can open it and edit it, but I can't save it.

I've dealt with this before, but I always forget how I do it.

Update: Nevermind. I figured it out.

Edited by DarkSerge
  • Like 1

securitybreach

So your good to go now?

Also you can use nano as root. Nano is a command line editor but it is very easy with controls listed at the bottom and it should be installed by default.

Yes, I'm good to go now. I figured out what was wrong and fixed it. I simply didn't have gedit installed so I just installed it with my Software Manager. Xubuntu came with a different text editor, Mouse Pad. I have been able to access my Windows share from Xubuntu, but I haven't attempted to share anything from Xubuntu to a Windows computer.

So things are working better than I expected. All my hardware (including my Pantone colorimeter and the software I found for it) work just fine. I guess the only thing that'll keep me going back to the Windows install will be my photo processing. I still like Photoshop over GIMP, and I do bulk processing in Canon Digital Photo Professional software, which I haven't looked into any Linux replacements just yet.

However, I've heard of this software called Wine that I can use to run Windows programs. What is that like? What's the ease of use? I did read somewhere that it has issues with Photoshop CS3, which is the version I have.

• Like 1