MeTV thread

Webb

Woo hoo! Mission: Impossible has premiered.

The Impossible Missions Force was a secret agency that performed well, impossible, intelligence missions in always unnamed eastern European or Central/South American countries.

"As always, should you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions."

I've been watching Perry Mason lately (11:30 pm Eastern). What's going on with the opening credits?

The judge hands Perry a folder of documents. Perry looks inside and smiles wryly. He then hands the folder to Paul and Della, who look at the cover and smile. He then hands it to Burger and Tragg, who also look at the cover.

No one but Perry ever looks inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVry0LPyKRo

Edited by Webb
  • Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

HAHA! I laugh every time I see that. Plus, I love Lt. Tragg's big effin' deal look that he gives Perry after seeing the cover of the file.

"The Rogues" ?

Never heard of it but IMDB makes it look like "Leverage"

"The cousins St. Clair and Fleming are con-men so successful they no longer need to con. They can be persuaded, however, to use their skills: in a just cause, where a mark deserves it very, very much."

Charles Boyer

David Niven

Gig Young

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't remember that show from my youth, either.

By the way, Webb... sorry if I copied you if that was a Perry Mason intro vid in your post above. I can't see vids at all in my Chromium browser here at Scot's. It ONLY happens here. I've given up on trying to figure out why.

Guest LilBambi

I love that Perry Mason intro! There were more than half a dozen of them over the years of the show according to the Perry Mason TV Show Book:

Remember That Music?

The show had many trademarksem_dash_wh.gifa sure sign of a winning TV series. The theme music was just one. That stirring, ultradramatic opening is unmistakable. (The sequence: Rise to holding note, two-punch trumpet. Extra-long pause. Rise to holding note, three-punch trumpet.) Then the song slips into a sexy, saxophone-to-full-brass glove, covered with whirlwind strings. The high chopping jazz piano adds just the right touch. It was like fifties, manem_dash_wh.gifreal cool. Credit Fred Steiner for composing one of TV's most recognizable theme songs.

So too, the show's opening sequences more than a half dozen in all were little classics of their own, although critic Cleveland Amory, never a friend of the show, once wrote that Burr appeared to do his best acting in these openings. (He apologized to Burr via a favorable review of "Ironside" several years later.)

However, the best known signature of the show is Perry's supposedly spotless record. Over and over people wondered, How could he possibly win every case?

Once when a fan asked Raymond Burr the big question, he replied: "But madam, you only see the cases I try on Saturday." When TV Guide asked Burr the same question, he said: "Perry is rather judicious in picking his clients and happens to believe correctly. What would you want us to do? Send an innocent man to the chair?" For his part, Erle Stanley Gardner was dead set against having Mason ever lose, simply because he didn't want his alter ego working sixty hard TV minutes for a guilty party.

Webmaster's Note: A message from Edward Opack suggests that "Park Avenue Beat" was the original title of the theme music. A note on the Perry Mason page at the Classic Themes website says that this title has been "verified in correspondence with the composer."

I loved Perry Mason! I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion and the guy did come back when Raymond Burr did Ironside which was another fantastic show and gave a favorable review.

I love that part above about winning every court case and Perry Mason's response. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying Naked City but it's on so late that I can rarely catch it.

Last week featured Peter Fonda and Martin Sheen.

If I can stay awake tonight's episode features Rip Torn and Tuesday Weld.

V.T. Eric Layton

HA! I saw the one last week with Fonda and Sheen. Yup. I was up pretty late to catch it, though.

They moved my fav Sunday night Peter Gunn episode to 0400 from 0200. I have to stay up two hours later to see it now. :(

That's not a problem for FAT DRACULA, though.

fatdrac.jpg

Guest LilBambi

I'm really enjoying Naked City but it's on so late that I can rarely catch it.

Last week featured Peter Fonda and Martin Sheen.

If I can stay awake tonight's episode features Rip Torn and Tuesday Weld.

Webb, there are currently 71 episodes available on free Hulu for Naked City so you can watch at your leisure. ;)

Eric, there are also 114 episodes available on free Hulu for Peter Gunn as well.

Sadly, I can't watch either one on Hulu due to our bandwidth limitations, though. :(

• 4 months later...

MeTV has been showing the 1952-1958 series The Adventures of Superman.

Sometime last week they ran the pilot and it looks like they are running them in order.

In the first season Lois Lane was played by Phyllis Coates, not the more familiar Noel Neill.

Both actresses are alive and kicking. Coates is 88 and Neill is 94.

When the series was picked up by Kellogg's, the breakfast cereal manufacturer, some of the cast members were able to make extra money by appearing in Kellogg's commercials. This did not include Phyllis Coates or Noel Neill. It was felt that Lois Lane having breakfast with Clark Kent was too suggestive.

Edited by Webb

Wow Webb , When I saw the name Phyllis coates I thought she might be a relation . So did a google and found a major family tree on my mothers side .

Absolutely wonderful coincidence . Thank you Webb

V.T. Eric Layton

MeTV usually broadcasts those retro shows in the order that they originally aired. That's one of the cool things I like about that channel. :)

Lucy (Lucille Ball) was never pregnant. She was "expecting".

Which was also confusing since Lucy and Ricky slept in separate twin beds.

No wonder we needed sex education in schools.