PCLos PV5 Packages

Owyn

Tex has done a great job so far in producing a top notch selection and configuration of packages.But, things could always be better.He is committed to making the best packages around available to PCLos.Some guidelines.- The Livecd has a limited size. Any packaging changes should be focused on improving the quality of PCLos as a desktop.- The PCLos apt repository has a relatively large capacity and now has some good mirrors. Packages can be added which add specific function to a Hard Disc install of PCLos.- Packages which are allready Mandrake 9.2 compatible are the easiest to add to the distro.and finallyQuality, not quantity, is the primary goal.No promises, but, lets see what we would put on the wish list.

Great, I already posted it in PCLOS forum but here it is:-Mozilla Thunderbird, he's got everything from Mozilla except this gem (it is my default mail client)-eye candy apps (Gdesklets and karamba for starters.)-Passepartout (similar to Scribus but built with GTK)I'll come back for more when I remember :)

Hi OwynI still am speechless of all the packages included on the CD . . . . and in the apt-get source . . . . have not got any additional wishes, yet !!But will let you know when I start missing something :):o Bruno

Well, I did ask for support to be able to use outboard hard drives drives connected to a usb or firewire port. Is that possible? :lol: Does this distro support Creative Labs[sbLive! Value] cards? Is is part of the kernel? Sure would like to hear systems/DVD movies sounds out of this machine! :unsure: ONEderer

Well, I did ask for support to be able to use outboard hard drives drives connected to a usb or firewire port.  Is that possible?  :lol:
Should work.From release notes:"USBView - usbview should now work as well. This may solve some problems with usb plug in devices."
Does this distro support Creative Labs[sbLive! Value] cards?  Is is part of the kernel?  Sure would like to hear systems/DVD movies sounds out of this machine!  :unsure:
No promises. You have had so many problems that I would not have expected that I would be foolish to promise anything.However, the 2.4.23 tmb kernel does include alsa 1.0.0rc2 and updated alsa drivers.The apt repository also includes awesfx.

Hi OwynI find the ibiblio mirror a bit slow and quircky . . . is there any way to change that to nluug and does nluug have all those packages too ?:url: Bruno

Hi OwynI find the ibiblio mirror a bit slow and quircky . . . is there any way to change that to nluug and does nluug have all those packages too ?:url: Bruno
Yep.Give me a bit to test it and I will add the procedure to tips.I have been monitoring nluug and it has been syncing in < 24 hours. More than good enough.

Linux Mediacheck . . . . . . small script, but lifesaving ;)B) Bruno
I looked into this.See http://www.linuxworks.com.au/redhat-instal...ller-howto.html and search for "mediacheck"The change will be required upstream in mklivecd.Request forwarded to livecd-devel.
Update:Jaco got the basic pieces working. Some procedural issues now to get it integrated, but, should be available for PV6 (assuming that Tex also approves the change).

Great Owyn !With all the attention ( hype ? ) this great new distro gets, it will attract many new users. The checkmedia will, I hope, prevent that some of them will be disappointed because of a corrupt download or a badly burned CD.Checksumming and ISO burning in Windows is for many of the MS users a big hurdle, so if they can simply skip that part and check for integrity the moment the CD is booting . . . that will make a huge leap to user friendly.And not only Windows users have problems with 'check and burn' . . . . I think 10 - 20 % of Linux users are not really sure if their CD is correct as they slide it in the CD-ROM player. ;)Just handing you a few lines to help you convince Tex B) :DB) Bruno

Just handing you a few lines to help you convince Tex B) B)
Took some convincing with Jaco.Expect less with Tex other than the cost of adding component to the CD.PS: There is a "livecd md5" option available now, but, it checks as used during the boot. And not as completely.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,I've been using PCLos as my main OS for a couple of weeks now and here're a few things I'm missing that I thing would be worth including:- Transcode & various other utils that allow ripping of dvds (I couldn't find them under Synaptic - the utils I'm looking for are the ones that k3b scans for - transcode is the main one I need I think).- An easy to use backup utility like Konserve (see www.kde-apps.org). Maybe one's available in apt but I don't know what to look for?- KSambaPlugin (http://ksambakdeplugin.sourceforge.net/). This is hands-down the best Samba configuration utility I have ever used. Why it isn't part of KDE is beyond me. It should be part of PCLos though IMHO. Whilst SWAT works fine, it's far from ideal from an ease of use and integration point of view.Chris.

I will pass it on Chris . . . hope Tex will find time to put it with the many packages that are already available on the mirrors.Glad you like PCLos . . we all do, it is a great distro !:w00t: Bruno

Edited by Bruno