KDE3 / Firefox question {SOLVED}

burninbush

I hate to ask a question this dumb, but I'm stumped.

One of my favorite distros, still, is Slax 612, a couple years old by now. It runs KDE 3.5.10 as a gui. It has had various upgrades of Firefox over the times, just yesterday put up 11.0. And I see the same problem that has troubled me all this time with Firefox on that distro:

The font used for the internal dialog boxes, for example the URL text, Bookmarks text, and Edit Preferences menus -- is too small for my eyes, and is in a weak blue color that has very little contrast with the background. Where do I change this?

I'm fairly sure this is a "GTK" issue; on some distros there's a 'GTK Fonts' button in Control Center that does it, but it ain't there in Slax. This text is not related to the text seen in the body of a displayed web page [set in FF Edit/Preferences/Content], nor is it affected by changes to the standard KDE fonts page in Control Center under Appearance.

Any help appreciated.

V.T. Eric Layton

You are correct. The font sizes you are referring to are definitely controlled by the desktop environment, not FF prefs or userchrome.css. In Gnome and Xfce it's relatively easy to change the font sizes and colors (determined by theme selection). If you cannot change the font sizes using the KDE Control Center, then you probably are using a preset theme (installed by SLAX by default). You can try to change themes. If you don't have any other theme choices, you can get some at kde-look.org.

Keep us posted on your progress. :yes:

Ahhhh ... relief at last, that worked. Thanks a bunch for this Extension link. Worked on the new 11.0 and an older 3.6.25 version.

I visited the kde-themes site, but left confused -- didn't see anything there that appeared to address my needs.

As an aside to this issue, I'm in wonderment at the variety of font size specs seen in KDE; my font spec in Control Center/Appearance is a mix of 9pt and 10pt, but in Firefox/Prefs I have to set them all to 16pt to get similar size. For the KDE menus under question I chose 13pt -- they all use different size systems. In each case, X has concluded that my dpi figure is 98, which is pretty close to a calculated value (1680x1050 on a 20" monitor).

Edit: I looked for a way to mark this [solved] but didn't find it -- maybe a mod can fix that.

Edit-2: if anyone else cares, the file that changed after my mods is named "gtkrc-2.0", several levels down under /root/.kde/... I looked at it with a text editor, but would have no idea what values to change.

Edited by burninbush

V.T. Eric Layton

gtkrc is your local gtk configuration file. You shouldn't be messing with the one in the /root directory. You should only be concerned about the one in the user directory... unless you're graphically logging in as root on your system - a big no-no. :(

gtkrc is your local gtk configuration file. You shouldn't be messing with the one in the /root directory. You should only be concerned about the one in the user directory... unless you're graphically logging in as root on your system - a big no-no. :(

LOL, I'm the Crown Prince Of No-No, so it's OK for me. I don't want to argue about it, heard it all before, and reckon if I ever have a problem from running as root I might reconsider. Booting the standard issue Slax distro [same as numerous others] brings you up to the KDE desktop (init 4) already logged in as root. I understand there would be other copies of the file, if this machine even had a user account.

As for the rc file, even knowing the file name, I dunno what any mortal human could do about modifying it. Nothing in it says 'font size' or color.

How does one add the [solved] to the thread title?

I can change it for you if you like :)

Thanks, it's already changed [by someone]. I was just under the impression that a user could edit the thread name somehow, but I couldn't find the way.

V.T. Eric Layton

I already changed the title, J.

BB, it's your system. If you wanna' run as root, no biggie. The standard SLAX logs you in as root, because it's designed as a portable Linux. There is no regular user in that set up. I don't run SLAX as a regular distribution. I only use it as a thumb drive tool. I suppose there is a way to add a regular user, though, should you want to.

From the command line as root:

#adduser

V.T. Eric Layton
Yeah well, I figured I would ask him first.

I looked for a way to mark this [solved] but didn't find it -- maybe a mod can fix that.

He had already requested it in a post prior to the one you quoted.

NA-NA-NA-NA :P