Thanks Bruno

Stryder

After reviewing all your posts, I am once again gonna take another serious look at Linux. Mandrake in particular.....which has always been my personal favorite anyway. At least it has always recognized all my hardware. I bought the 8.0, 7 CD set when it was originally released. And have played with it and other distros since, but I always end up frustrated and run back home to mama (Windows). If I think I will stick with it I will go buy the 9.1 set as well. Hopefully with the knowledge and good attitude in this group I can get over the hump this time. The last linux help forums I used, people were very.....lets just say they only wanted to help people that were already well on their way. They had no time for a newb. Some help forum. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration to take another hard look at Linux. Be talking to you soon.....you can count on it!!! :) :)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Stryder

• Peachy

• Prelude76

Stryder:I´m deeply honored by all of the compliments you make to all of us here on the All Things Linux forumThe fact that our attitude here could make you consider to make the jump in the deep again in a tribute to all ¨posters¨ on this forum.You will be receiving a very warm welcome among these fine people here. We all will see to it that every new Linuxer and every old school Linuxer will find a home amongst us ! Stryder, all of us wish you a smooth install, ( make some coffee and have a nice bottle ready to celebrate a successful install :) ) sure you will like 9.1, we all do, but you might have noticed that already ! :) Bruno

Stryder:A small suplementary tip before install: in the Bios say NO where it says PnP aware OS ! :) Bruno

volunteer

Stryder, I'm going to take the plunge, too. My Mandrake 9.1 is on the way and I'm going to learn linux this time and stick with it.Bruno, Thanks for all the work you did getting all those linux tips together! This is a great group of girls and guys. B)

Welcome Volunteer !I see this is your first post, thanks and welcome to ¨All Things Linux¨, look forward hearing about your experiences installing Linux ! B) Bruno

Hey Bruno,I was just wondering if you have had any XPerience with the newer ATI video cards (All-In-Wonder 8500DV to be exact)? I seen on the Mandrake site that it says "Known" to work, but was just wondering about you personally. I want to install 9.1 on my main PC in a dual boot config with XP, so I will be more apt to use it. I have a dedicated linux box already, but it is in my workshop. I'm only in there when I am working or got a house full of 8 and 9 year olds......sometimes they even let me out.

Stryder, I'm going to take the plunge, too.  My Mandrake 9.1 is on the way and I'm going to learn linux this time and stick with it.Bruno, Thanks for all the work you did getting all those linux tips together! This is a great group of girls and guys.  B)
Good luck to you, volunteer. I feel more than ever that it is time to take this "Switch" seriously. And I honestly think that with the support of the great people in this group that I will be able to become proficient enough in Linux that if I ever decide to, I will be able to completely walk away from Windows. I have never felt that way before. The environment here definately helps the confidence.....just knowing you have some place to turn when you feel like pounding your head on the desk. It is a major boost.

Just to wish you luck guys, Stryder and Volunteer.I am in the same waters like you and I've been helped immensively.Sometimes you can't find everything in the book so you have to ask. But be sure that if there is answer, someone will come with one, if not Bruno then LilBambi or nlinecomputers or Peachy, or ...We got some great bunch here.Good luck!

Ok Bruno...all the images (ISO's) are downloaded and burnt. Got to do some actual work, run some errands, due some lessons with the youngin' and the take her roller skating with a bunch of other home schooled kids and then sometime around 5 o'clock my time, we will be getting started on the installation. So the next time you see me today, I should be posting with my brand new Mandrake 9.1 install. I have not been this "geeked" up for a while. Thanks again for the inspiration and the confidence of knowing I will be able to find help when needed. You the man, Bruno!!!!

Stryder:I´m crossing my fingers for you !5 PM your time will be midnight my time, if your install goes smooth you should be online 30 – 45 minutes later, well before I go to sleep at 2 AM ( your time 7 PM ) So I¨ll be waiting for you to post, in order to get your first few burning questions out of the way immediately B) !From what I understand out of the ¨How do you connect to the internet?¨ thread you´re on cable and will not have the ¨winmodem¨ troubles most dial-up users have.Last advice: Don´t rush yourself, think clear, concentrate and all will be easy as cake !;) Bruno

Installing now. This is the easy part. I know since version 8, install is as easy as any Windows install. Where I get frustrated is installing drivers and programs. I am always missing something and can never figure out what or how. I read instructions, but I always mess something up. But we will cross that bridge when we get to it. Anyway, thanks for the help. Be back soon.

No it was not 5 my time, lol. Got work and errands out of the way and grandma came by and picked up the youngin' this morning. So I got some free time.Back to the issue at hand.....Houston, we have a problem. Mandrake does not configure my NIC card. It sees it, but will not connect to the internet. When I try and auto configure drakconnect just feezes, sits there with a blank screen.Tried this multiple times. The odd part is, I have this same Linksys NIC in all my PC's and Mandrake or any other distro has never had a problem with it before.....I am behind a Linksys router, but that has never been a issue before. Any ideas?

Did the rest of the install go allright ? Did you say NO to PnP in the BIOS ?Does it fail to confurere during install too ? Well, dumb question, give me a few minutes, I¨ll do a bit of research . . ;) Bruno

Acording to Mandrake the following Linksys are supported: EG 1032, EG 1064, LNE 100TX, LNE 2000, LNE 2000T,PCI, PCI2, PCI2T !If any of those is what you have I would try a re-install. In the mean time I´ll keep searching for answers. ;) Bruno

When I try and auto configure drakconnect just feezes, sits there with a blank screen.Tried this multiple times.
Drakconnect has a bug before doing the updates !The config during install should work without bugs though. ;) Bruno

Did the rest of the install go allright ? Did you say NO to PnP in the BIOS ?Does it fail to confurere during install too ? Well, dumb question, give me a few minutes, I¨ll do a bit of research . . ;) Bruno
Sorry about that.....I need to go to the water cooler now and do a thread on 87 ways to torture a cat. Mine was just behind my computer desk and stepped on the surge protector power button.Anyway, yes pnp is set to no. The rest of the install went off without a hitch. kde 3.1 is beautiful. My NIC card is the LNE 100TX. Gonna re-install I think.

Anyway, yes pnp is set to no. The rest of the install went off without a hitch. kde 3.1 is beautiful. My NIC card is the LNE 100TX. Gonna re-install I think.
I think that´s your best bet ! If your connection does not configure during install do the ¨expert¨ mode for that part !I only found problems for the ¨linksys WPC11 wireless¨, no problems reported at all about the LNE100TX, nowhere on the net.;) Bruno

Anyway, yes pnp is set to no. The rest of the install went off without a hitch. kde 3.1 is beautiful. My NIC card is the LNE 100TX. Gonna re-install I think.
I think that´s your best bet ! If your connection does not configure during install do the ¨expert¨ mode for that part !I only found problems for the ¨linksys WPC11 wireless¨, no problems reported at all about the LNE100TX, nowhere on the net.;) Bruno
That is why I found it odd. Never, ever had an issue with this NIC before. And it has been tested with Mandrake 8.0, Suse 8.0, Lycoris, and 2 or 3 other ones. Oh well. Be back soon. Hopefully with better results.

Stryder:Found something:http://www.vmlinuz.ca/archives/cooker/2003...1/msg01367.htmlYou will have to do the expert install for that part because in normal install it detects it as a Tulip !Just point it to the right NIC in the list and most likely the problem will be solved !Strange because this bug was already there in 91. RC2 !! AND REPORTED !;) Bruno

Styrder,Your Linksys NIC uses the tulip.o drivers. Try these steps to get it manually installed:Check to see if tulip.o is in the following directory: /lib/modules/'uname -r'/kernel/drivers/net where 'uname -r' puts your kernel version into the path.If it is, type "insmod tulip.o" to install the driver. Issue the depmod command like so, depmod -a.Initialize the eth0 adapter by typing "ifup eth0". Configure the network card driver by typing "netconfig". Run ifconfig to make sure that the eth0 interface is loaded. You should see the loopback adapter (lo), and the Ethernet adapter (eth0).Edit etc/conf.modules by typing vi etc/conf.modules and add the following to the begining of the file: alias eth0 tulipReboot.Test the network card by pinging out

Thanks Peachy for jumping in !Stryder your kernelverion is 2.4.21-0.13Full path: /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o.gz ( so the driver is there );) Bruno

Stryder, I'm going to take the plunge, too.  My Mandrake 9.1 is on the way and I'm going to learn linux this time and stick with it.Bruno, Thanks for all the work you did getting all those linux tips together! This is a great group of girls and guys.  :)
Hi Bruno (and the rest of you Linux folks here), you can add me to the list of soon-to-be Linux users. problem is time: Daughter is 2 years old, partner and me both work full time with VERY little baby-sitting involved. one of us comes off shift (we're both shift workers) and takes over the domestic scene, the one coming off shift gets the girl and the dog. my computer is mostly collecting dust. I've got major studying to do (mandrake?, red hat?? suse???), the whereswhenshows....... I can study at work, except that that water cooler is sure distracting, and then there is the actual work that needs done occasionaly. At least we're near the same time zone. OOPS, work was finished 5 minutes ago. gotta run.

bee Tee,You´ll be more then welcome !I saw you´re from Germany, Bayern, I´d sugest if your german is any good :) to go with SuSe you´ll get the best support for that in Germany. But then, SuSe cost´s money and Mandrake 9.1 you can download for free . . . So for a trial run . . perhaps go for Mandrake !See you soon back on this side of the forumWiedersehen !:) Bruno

I found the directory and tulip is there, but where do I type the stuff you are saying to type.....all of this is grrek to me.

I found the directory and tulip is there, but where do I type the stuff you are saying to type.....all of this is grrek to me.
In a terminal window if you are running X. Just right-click on the desktop and choose New Terminal or equivalent. Or, press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to log into a new console as 'root' user.

In a terminal window if you are running X. Just right-click on the desktop and choose New Terminal or equivalent. Or, press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to log into a new console as 'root' user.
What is X? I know Windows lingo inside and out.....but when it comes to Linux, in the words of Sgt. Shultz...."I know NOTHING!!!" :)