Attempting to connect with DSL

longgone

Yes ... I finally went to DSL (maybe) ... here's my problem ... the DSL service has been activated ... (Earthlink ugghh) .. had them before so I still had the DSL modems from them, the sales person said that they would work ..... one of them I am not sure about (don't have the proper readout on the lights) the other one (which is the newest one) has all the lights on and according to the destructions the four lights show a solid green which indicates ..good-to-go ... hooked up ,, connected up ,,, so therefore I should be able to pull up a browser and start surfing (?????) ... no such luck .... so what I would like to check out is .. do I have it configured right (using Debian) .. is it good ... or what ....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• ross549

• FuzzButt

• striker

That's part of the problem .... no matter what I do I can't seem to get a connect ... one thing I did notice in Debian during the POST is when it gets to the DHCP section ... there are six/seven entries of DHCPDISCOVER each one list port 67 and the intervals vary in numeric value ... I have a hunch that I am going to have to do something from the CL to get this working ... maybe in DHCP or in PPPoE ... not sure and not sure how to get to there either ....

The modem is likely going to be using PPPoE, which is why I'd asked about whether you'd configured for it or not. Have you set this modem up in Windows yet? I would like to make sure that the modem is good before attempting to get it working in linux.A very easy way to use DSL is with a broadband router. If you can afford one, I would recommend using one, since you can continue to use DCHP with each computer, and be online with both simultaneously. You are connected to it with ethernet, right?Adam

Adam is right: a router makes life easier with PPPoE. Much easier. And PPPoE it is (most likely) if you have received a user name and password "to go" with your DSL connection. If you get yourself a router, make sure to buy one that is configured via net browser. Just hook it up between your computer(s) and DSL adapter, point your Firefox (or whatever your browser of choice is) to router's "configuration page" (as per router's instructions)... it is easy. And the best part: once configured, the connection is "open" for all your distros/computers without any further hassles.However, if you want to connect without a router, there is a PPPoE setup tool (for Debian based distros) called "pppoeconf". I don't know if it's included in a "basic" debian install (sure is in Ubuntu). Here is a "Debian HOWTO" with screenshots:http://users.pandora.be/Asterisk-PBX/PPPoE.htmStart reading from where it says:

Execute the 'pppoeconf' (in /usr/sbin)# cd /usr/sbin# pppoeconf
But... once again: go and buy a router. $50 well spent. Edited by Urmas

B) :( :hmm: .....First off .... can't check it in Windows 'cause I don't have Windows installed on anything .... but one thing I can say is that several years back when I had DSL the first time and from Earthlink these DSL (got 2) modems both worked fine ... since then they have just been tucked away in their respective boxes ... AND .... I must be in luck then since I do have a brand new never been used still in the box 4 port DSL router ... so I'll try all this out and see what happens .... if I put this thread in the wrong place .. feel free to relocate it too ......also I am not connected to the internet with the DSL as of yet .... Edited by longgone

Configuring a router is not usually hard at all.1. Log into router's admin page either at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.12. Run the setup "wizard" for DSL connections3. Set "keep alive" (if you've not done thise before, let us know the router brand/model)You should be set! :)Adam

Configuring a router is not usually hard at all.1. Log into router's admin page either at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.12. Run the setup "wizard" for DSL connections3. Set "keep alive" (if you've not done thise before, let us know the router brand/model)You should be set! :)Adam
If he had new equipment from Earthlink, he would have a combination modem/router. But because it is old equipment, it is probably only a modem and he would need to set up a PPoE connection furnishing his user name and password. Some distros have a GUI Setup App to do this while others use a text script.But if he has a router sitting around, he could plug the modem into the WAN port on the router and use the router's connection wizard to connect to the modem. That would give the added advantage of being able to connect multiple computers to the router. Edited by lewmur

This port 67 thing while starting : it looks to me it has something to do with setting up the network, it probably tries to do so through DHCP and fails. Under normal conditions you would only see one line of this and then it probably waits for a sec or even not at all.DSL : this also means a Direct Connection to the internet. Firefox (for ex.) needs to be reconfigured for this, don't forget this.The DHCP discovery : see that the modem or modem/router combo is actually using DHCP.Get in there and set it to DHCP, then save the configuration.Then the distros network configuration can either be set up with a static IP for your PC or DHCP, to start I would recommend DHCP. When you get it going this way you can always consider to switch using a static IP at a later date.HTH

:hmm: :huh: B) ...............GENTLEMEN ................... so far I have accomplished .... zip, nada, nyet, nothing, but I've been giving int 'ell ... the DSL router is from Linksys it is a 4 port router model BEFSR41 ..... Amazingly I read all the destructions ... and it is all connected up ... and correctly I might add .... so far this is what has happened ....In Debian .... nothing at all .. it boots up to the GUI I click on the consol to connect up to wvdial .... does that then try to bring up scots ..... I get no page,, I get the top an the bottom of the web page the innards are not there ,,, I tried going on to the forums and nothing there either ...... so at the moment .... down an out in debian ...in Mandriva2007.1 .... (?????) it boots all the way up to the GUI and it all says that I am connected on ETH0 but I cannot get mail .. cannot connect to the Firefox home page .. nada ...... so no go there ....Now here is my guess on this ... according to the destructions I need to have one of these items ... Dynamic IP Address (DHCP), Static IP Address, PPPoE, or RAS / PPTP ... after I:hmm: :huh: :( ...............GENTLEMEN ................... so far I have accomplished .... zip, nada, nyet, nothing, but I've been giving int 'ell ... the DSL router is from Linksys it is a 4 port router model BEFSR41 ..... Amazingly I read all the destructions ... and it is all connected up ... and correctly I might add .... so far this is what has happened ....In Debian .... nothing at all .. it boots up to the GUI I click on the consol to connect up to wvdial .... does that then try to bring up scots ..... I get no page,, I get the top an the bottom of the web page the innards are not there ,,, I tried going on to the forums and nothing there either ...... so at the moment .... down an out in debian ...in Mandriva2007.1 .... (?????) it boots all the way up to the GUI and it all says that I am connected on ETH0 but I cannot get mail .. cannot connect to the Firefox home page .. nada ...... so no go there ....Now here is my guess on this ... according to the destructions I need to have one of these items ... Dynamic IP Address (DHCP), Static IP Address, PPPoE, or RAS / PPTP ... after I have this info I should be able to connect to the web .. then I am supposed to use the URL that Adam gave me .. (192.168.1.1) ... I tried that in MD2007.1 when it said my network was connected using ETH0 ,,, it doesn't work .. I can enter the URL from now until the cows come in and it does not go any further ... I cancel it and get this error on a bright red page ... that either my username is wrong or the password is wrong or that the browser does not know how to handle the URL ... so basically until I get the router all set up I am still using dial up to do the web ...

OK. Back to page one.You are using a DSL modem with and ethernet connection to your router. The DSL ethernet cable should be plugged into the "internet" port. You then have an ethernet cable to the computer(s), on port 1, 2, 3, or 4.Verify this first.The second step is to initialize the modem and router. With all the computers turned off, unplug the router and the modem. Then plug the modem in. Wait until the lights stabilize and indicate the modem is online.Secondly, plug the router in. Wait a few seconds. You will likely see activity on the front lightsFinally, turn the computer on. Do not attempt to connect to the internet. Simply pull up your browser, and see if you can pull up the forum page. If so, you are good to go, and nothing else needs to be set. If not, then dial up and let us know. I'll be around all day, so we can work through this.Adam

When that's DSL I'm the next president of the US :) Dale ... using DSL, be it aDSL,xDSL or whatever, you don't have to dial in anywhere.The basics after everything is set up correctly:Setting it up means reconfiguring how the computer connects to the net, you'll have to do so in every installed distro Dale, one after one. They now are probably configured to use a dial up network, what you need is an ethernet connection. Once set up you can do as posted below:Just open Firefox, type your destination into the address bar, hit enter and off you go. That's how it works in Europe. ;) And that's why I said in my previous post to check the settings for the connection in Firefox, Direct Connection is the right one. :whistling:

;) :angry: :) :whistling: ........................Okay ... the @#%&$@# dummy is back ... AND .... these are the results of following the instructions I was given .... and this is also my non-expert conclusion .... did everything you told me to do ... the results are this and make no mistake this is what happened in the order it happened ...after ... de-energizing the modem, the router and the computer ... the following events occurred in the order listed .... re-energized the modem, 3 lights illuminated on the front, re-energized the router, pwr light illuminated on router and 4th light illuminated on front of modem ... re-energized computer (power on) goes through POST, comes into GUI ,, all lights lit on front of modem, router has the 3 lights lit that correspond to port #1 and the link light for the WAN, (forgot to mention selected Debian in the boot loader), now with out connecting to the web (at least not by any manual intervention on my part) I select the browser icon (ice weasel) it opens a partial page, partial in that since I am using mozilla.org as the home page all I get is as if I had selected blank page for my home page ..... no graphics .... next I click on bookmarks and that is revealed, next I click on Scots, wow I get Scots home page, woohooo,,, next I click on forums, booohooo, unable to find server Scots forums ... #$@$# , next I (just for the heck of it) click on the back arrow for the browser,,, :hmm: :hmm: now I get the mozilla.org page in full .. BUT I still cannot connect to the web .... NOW rpt NOW ,, I am at stress level 99 ... I unplug the router, reboot and now I can connect using dial-up ... I couldn't get using dial-up with the router plugged in .... and that is the situation at this time ....any other suggestions other than call earthlink and tell them forget it that their tech is as dumb as a box of rocks ......

now I get the mozilla.org page in full .. BUT I still cannot connect to the web ....
that means you're on the net ...In Firefox : when doing that (what you did, the bookmark ticking, pushing the back button), do you see in the right hand corner of Firefox a progression bar or something like that, even if it's only for a short period ? If so, does it indeed have a progression bar in it or does it just show the frame and that stays empty ?It's the network connection in debian which should be reconfigured : it's probably configured for dial up and what you need right now to be able to use DSL is a new connection, ethernet connection. :)

Dale, it sounds like the browser may be loading pages from cache.Try going to a site you've never been to before, and see if you can pull up a page that way on the DSL.Try this site: http://www.speedtest.net/If you can get to it when not connected with dialup, then that proves your connection is ok.If not, we have a bit of troubleshooting to do. It is not too hard, but will require some patience. There may be configuration changes to be done on the router to make the DSL work properly.Adam

Here is my opinion .... first off since I cannot get a web page other than the one I just mentioned to save my life .... I am 99.9% sure it is not connected to the web,,,, using the bookmarks I tried several other web sites and the general response from them is that "unable to connect to server at xxxxx web site" .. THAT says you are not connected .... at least to me ...I am in firm agreement that some configuration needs to be done in each of my OS's to get this DSL to work ....... but where at is unknown to me but I will bet that it has to be done in a consol and that puts me at a loss since I don't know where to do it .... using me Debian as an example I had to configure .. wvdial in order to get dial up to work ..... (my wish list is still pending) so how, when, remain to be seen ...

Yep, in that case you' re right " you' re not connected" , probably the cache there.KDE>System>NetworkingWhat does that reveal to you Dale ? (using debian etch)

Urmas ..... no I have been with them for several years on dial-up and their sales rep said that username and password would remain the same ......striker .... I am using the GNOME side of Debian ... I will set what I can accomplish with KDE

username and password would remain the same ......
So you HAVE user name and password. I smell PPPoE. OK...Question #2: What is the make & model of that ROUTER of yours?

Striker ............... KDE > SYSTEM > NETWORKING > shows both the modem (dial-up) and he ethernet are active ......Urmas ... it is a Linksys BEFSR41 Etherfast Cable/DSL Router ..... and yes I have a username and a password ... and I guess a lot of patience and maybe even tolerance ...

Guest LilBambi

Dale,If it has been longer than a couple years since you were on Earthlink's DSL, I would strongly recommend getting a new DSL modem from them.There have been some serious changes to DSL service over the last year and many folks have been having to get a new DLS modem or deal with problems, or slower connections than their neighbors who get a 'new' DSL modem.Removed this area ... Adam had already covered that part.Sounds like you are just missing a small piece of it ... or the old hardware from Earthlink is not working right with their current firmware for DSL at the CO and main complex?

Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi
OK. Back to page one.You are using a DSL modem with and ethernet connection to your router. The DSL ethernet cable should be plugged into the "internet" port. You then have an ethernet cable to the computer(s), on port 1, 2, 3, or 4.Verify this first.The second step is to initialize the modem and router. With all the computers turned off, unplug the router and the modem. Then plug the modem in. Wait until the lights stabilize and indicate the modem is online.Secondly, plug the router in. Wait a few seconds. You will likely see activity on the front lightsFinally, turn the computer on. Do not attempt to connect to the internet. Simply pull up your browser, and see if you can pull up the forum page. If so, you are good to go, and nothing else needs to be set. If not, then dial up and let us know. I'll be around all day, so we can work through this.Adam
Ha! Forget mine .. Adam had already given these instructions earlier, and much more succinctly :thumbsup:No way striker! Your thoughts are very important! Each person's input is.I think I will remove mine though since Adam had already given that information and I somehow missed it when reading through.

Well .... I printed them out .... I wondered about the dial-up if I should disconnect it completely ... but .. who knows .....ALL I can say at the moment ... other than a considerable amount of unprintable vocalizations (family web site here) if I don't come back it did not work and I will be X-tremely frustrated ...