Hidden Router Backdoor

V.T. Eric Layton

It's all good. Having dealt with my ISP's technical service staff I doubt that anyone over there is smart enough to hack my router. :ph34r:

• Like 1

OK, I had some time to do some research on this.

This exploit will NOT work across the Internet.

In order for the "back door" to be opened, a specially coded Ethernet frame must be sent to the router. Keep in mind that Ethernet frames do NOT survive transiting a router without being modified by the router. Why is this important? Your ISP has a variety of routers delivering data to you.

In order for this to work, a device would need to be on the same local network as your modem/router. That network would not extend to the public Internet without going through another router.

Theres's not a whole lot of information why this "back door" is even present, so speculation will run rampant until someone owns up to it. Based on what's been published so far, it sounds like this might be a remote management tool used by ISPs for tech support purposes.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

I thought it was already know to be local only?

And of course if someone gets local access ... really anything might be possible.

Good job on the research Adam. :yes:

With the previous iteration of the "backdoor" the IP would be open to the world for all to see. port 32764, I think it was.

In this case, you have to feed it that special ethernet packet without jumping over a router for it to open. Essentially it is only open to the ISP LAN.

Adam