Help I am a newby trying to get out of Microsoft's clutches

bootneck02

bootneck02
:ermm: Hi everyone, I am a new member wishing to get out of bank rolling Microsoft and other software publishers and looking for advice. I want to use a Linux Distro but as there are so many I realy do not know where to start. The other thing is like many Windows users I would like to be able to have something that works out of the box and not have to buy any aps. At the moment I have Zorin 9 64bit Ultimate dual booted but what are the alternatives as people like me get bambozaled with all the different Linux distro's. All help would be greatfully recieved :wacko: :clap:
  • Like 1

ReleaseRoderick

Hi bootneck02,

I'm one of the 'I wish I'd found out about Linux long ago' users. But I'm afraid I'm no great authority on computers.

I started with Linux Ubuntu 12.04 quite a while back and now have Ub 14.04 LTS (Long Term Support) on 10 machines. The odd one of the bunch is running Linux Mint 17 and I'm getting happier with it as each day passes. The enjoyable pastime for me is to buy the Op Sys disc's and sample the ware, I can do this because I have spare machines to use and a few cents to spend being happy to know I'm not funding Bill and Melinda.

( I have just received Uber Student 32bit and 64bit discs and will spend a while getting to know them )

I realise I'm not really answering your question.....I just want to welcome you to Linux, Bruno's, the helpfull heads that will soon be talking to you.

You'll hear of a lot...Archlinux..Slackware...Bodhi, it's all in here. You will surely have fun!

Right you guys........he's all yours.

• Like 5

:ermm: Hi everyone, I am a new member wishing to get out of bank rolling Microsoft and other software publishers and looking for advice. I want to use a Linux Distro but as there are so many I realy do not know where to start. The other thing is like many Windows users I would like to be able to have something that works out of the box and not have to buy any aps. At the moment I have Zorin 9 64bit Ultimate dual booted but what are the alternatives as people like me get bambozaled with all the different Linux distro's. All help would be greatfully recieved :wacko: :clap:

My recommendation to people trying to escape MS is Linux Mint. I'm a 75 year old ex computer consultant living in a 500 unit complex for the elderly. I have set up many of my elderly neighbors with Linux Mint and it works out great. Unlike Window, even 7 & 8, once it's set up it just works. No going back every few month to disinfect the box of malware invasions. And it is simple enough that even the old folks can use it "out of the box". The Libre Office suite that comes with it is free and handles 99% of MS Office documents.

There are several flavors of Mint and which is best for you depends on your hardware and your personal preferences. What I advise all those who still have a Windows sytem to do is install VirtualBox on that system and use that to test different Linux distros to find out which they like the best. You can download LiveCD isos and run them directly in VBox without having to burn them to CD/DVD and without having to do any HDD partitioning. You can even create a virtual HDD and use it over and over again to test install the distros.

Hope this helps.

Edited by lewmur
  • Like 5

bootneck02

My recommendation to people trying to escape MS is Linux Mint. I'm a 75 year old ex computer consultant living in a 500 unit complex for the elderly. I have set up many of my elderly neighbors with Linux Mint and it works out great. Unlike Window, even 7 & 8, once it's set up it just works. No going back every few month to disinfect the box of malware invasions. And it is simple enough that even the old folks can use it "out of the box". The Libre Office suite that comes with it is free and handles 99% of MS Office documents.

There are several flavors of Mint and which is best for you depends on your hardware and your personal preferences. What I advise all those who still have a Windows sytem to do is install VirtualBox on that system and use that to test different Linux distros to find out which they like the best. You can download LiveCD isos and run them directly in VBox without having to burn them to CD/DVD and without having to do any HDD partitioning. You can even create a virtual HDD and use it over and over again to test install the distros.

Hope this helps.

Thanks lewmur for your reply and also ReleaseRoderick for your welcome. The first problem lewmer is what is a VM box how do I achieve that?

• Like 1

Hope this helps.

Thanks lewmur for your reply and also ReleaseRoderick for your welcome. The first problem lewmer is what is a VM box how do I achieve that?

VirtualBox is Oracle's virtual machine software and it is a free download from here. You will want to download the version for Windows host and, after it is installed, download the "extension pack" from the same site. Setting up a new "machine session" is pretty straight forward following the "wizard" but if you have problems, just post them here.
  • Like 2

Slackware,,, Take it slow and easy . and you can use one of your other machines to read the manuals make iso;s etc.

Then for a serious input for the insoluble there is Always our master slacker .. ERIC.

i'm netting with Debian Squeeze.Not for a first off as it has it's own set of problems and needs a bit of compiling . The wikis are not great .

Mint is cool if you can get an un-corrupted iso to download.

You will get more informed and intelligent advice from the others .

• Like 2

Mint is cool if you can get an un-corrupted iso to download.

Why the scare tactics? I've have download more iso's from Mint than I'd care to count and I've never had one corrupted. If you are getting corrupted downloads you should check your hardware and internet connection. I'm not trying to be critical but I think people should be careful about "scaring" new Linux explorers away.

• Like 1

Ask around I'm not the only one this is happening to ..

Please try to little less hasty with innuendo's

Scare tactics my foot . I'm Irish and tell it in a diplomatic and sensitive way .Absolutely no need for you to censure my opinions :alien: :alien: :alien:

Hedon James

WELCOME to the fold! I switched cold turkey in 2009 and haven't looked back at all. My only regret is that I had discovered and learned about linux SOONER!

With all that said, we can't really answer your question. It's like asking "what's the best color?" Everyone has a favorite, but there is no best. It all depends on your personal tastes, perspective, and how you use your computer. FWIW, Zorin is an EXCELLENT distro for windows migrators. It's designed to resemble Windows and to ease the transition from Windows appearances & conventions. If you like Zorin, I'd suggest you're already using the best distro for you AT THIS TIME. As you become more acclimated to linux and learn about other software packages, features, and desktop environments, you may decide to switch to something you like better. But we can't predict that today.

My advice would be to stick with your Zorin dual-boot arrangement for now. Maybe you'll keep it, maybe you'll move on to something else you like better once you've discovered it. Unlike switching from Windows to Linux, switching from one Linux distro to another distro is really no big deal. Nearly all software packages and programs are available on nearly every distro, so don't let software availability be a criteria. The main difference between distros, as I see it, is their package management. Nearly every distro can be classified as Debian, RPM, or Source packages. Again, though, nearly every software package is available in each format. My only caveat is that a beginner probably shouldn't be messing with "source distros", such as Arch, Slackware, Gentoo. Great distros that offer the highest degree of customization, but not for beginners IMO. I'd start with a Debian or RPM distro, and again, it just doesn't matter. While I personally prefer the Debian family, and the Ubuntu flavors, it is just a personal preference. IMO, if you're looking for a place to start, you should probably be focusing on desktop environments (DE), as Linux has several. But once again, there is no "best" DE...there are just many options to accommodate your personal tastes, computing style, and productivity. I'd start with the DE because it is the primary place that a user interacts with the software, and it will likely be the only thing that a beginner will be able to notice.

For starters KDE is the most customizable...while the default configuration tends to resemble a Windows paradigm with a bottom task bar, menu launcher in lower left, and system icons in bottom right, nearly EVERYTHING is customizable. The downside is that it's TOO customizable, IMO, and is probably the most resource intensive.

Gnome & Unity DE are somewhat Mac-like in their default configuration and slightly less resource intensive. Gnome is probably the most popular and Zorin uses a heavily customized Gnome DE. Unity is probably the most polarizing...users either LOVE it or HATE it...with very little reaction in between. I use Unity; while I hated Unity at first, I have grown to love it!

Cinnamon & Mate are both forks of Gnome, developed by Mint distro. While Cinnamon resembles Windows paradigms, it uses the more modern GTK3 toolkit. Mate uses the older GTK2 toolkit and is designed to resemble the OLD Gnome, or the current XFCE.

XFCE is the next lightest DE and has grown in popularity recently, especially since Gnome mutated into a more Mac-like interface. Many former Gnome fans are now XFCE fans. XFCE is considered lightweight in terms of resource usage and has a top bar like Mac, and a bottom bar for program management.

LXDE is the lightest of the major DE interfaces. LXDE is a sort of "bare minimum" DE and often resembles the Windows paradigm. However, the LXDE DE is also highly customizable in appearance..perhaps 2nd only to KDE?! If you like customizability, but prefer lighter resource usage, perhaps LXDE is a good DE for you.

Enlightenment is another lightweight DE, but is basically a UI shell...you have to add your own preferred software packages.

There are a whole slew of other lesser known DE interfaces, which are actually more like window managers. If you want to learn more about the various distros, here is a good place for screenshots and brief write-ups:

http://distrowatch.com/

If you want to know more about the various DE, their resource usages, default core programs, and screenshots, check this out:

https://renewablepcs...-gnome-or-xfce/

I hope all this extra info doesn't further blow your mind. I remember being in your shoes and experiencing "paralysis by analysis" with SO MANY choices. But here's what I didn't know...IT DOESN'T MATTER! You're not locked in! You're allowed to change your mind and switch, in fact it's encouraged! So while I presented all that info regarding DE above, I did it because it's probably the ONLY thing you will notice for awhile and is probably the single biggest thing to affect your experience (and yet the single easiest thing to change).

So with all that said, here's my advice:

- you're already dual-booting Zorin9 and it's a fine distro, especially for new users; it's based on Ubuntu (my favorite), but designed to accommodate former Windows users; Keep using stock Zorin for as long as you want!

- otherwise, IF you don't like the stock default appearance of Zorin, simply download one of the other DE environments above, log out, choose the newly downloaded DE at login screen, and login to new appearance!

- download VirtualBox to your machine; it's available online and it's free! as a user above pointed out, it really is the easiest way to try/learn about new systems without messing up your current one. Here's how: http://zoringroup.co....php?f=6&t=2380

- download any distro ISO files that are of interest to you (from the distrowatch.com link above); if you make a mistake in VB, or just don't like the VM you installed, simply delete and try again, or try another

- have fun learning about linux; it's a process, not an event, and your tastes will change as you learn more

Congratulations on making it this far (I couldn't figure out dual-boot on my own) and welcome to the fold! You will get LOTS of good advice here! This is one of the few places on this planet where I feel like everyone knows more than I do...I LOVE it here! :bounce:

Edited by Hedon James
  • Like 5

burninbush

I strongly recommend Porteus for new users. Couldn't be any easier. Go to www.porteus.org and [given you already have a running windows] get the zip file -- just go for the standard build at first. About a 200mb download. Follow the simple instructions to install it to a usbstick, and then boot from that.

1) use win explorer to format the usbstick, fat32. Any size over about 2gb will work.

2) extract the zip file onto the usbstick

3) open a cmd window, cd to the usbstick \boot, and run the windows install-boot routine. Gotta do it with admin privilege, I'm pretty sure

4) reboot, and direct your bios to boot from the usbstick first. Will not touch your existing Windows.

If offered a choice of gui, I suggest KDE -- most like windows, easy transition.

Other great choices, but a bit more work: PCLinuxOS and Mint. Those, and Porteus, come with package managers that will let you easily add extra parts as you like.

Finally, something that took me a couple years to understand, any linux distribution is at least =similar= to all other linux distributions. They all use the same kernel source and the same compiler -- the primary difference between them is in which gui they use, and details of how source code is assembled into executable apps.

Have fun, see you on the other side.

• Like 2

Welcome bootneck02! Great to hear from a new linux explorer. Hopefully we can help you through any rough patches on your journey.

• Like 4

V.T. Eric Layton

Seriously, though...

Some links to help you on your journey:

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=19775

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=503 (some of this info is a bit date/obsolete)

https://noctslackv1.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/the-gnulinux-adventurers-backpack/

Try all that on for size and let us know what's what. :)

• Like 2

securitybreach

First off, nice to meet you and welcome to the Forums!!! Sorry I was at work earlier or I would of responded faster.

As far as your questions, I would suggest Linuxmint for a newcomer to Linux but zorin is just fine if your happy with it. That said, I really do not know of any applications on Linux that cost any money. 99% of the tens of thousands of Linux applications are completely free.

I wouldn't worry about using VirtualBox unless you have lots of ram as you have to allocate ram and harddrive space to the virtual machines to run them. For instance, I have 24gb of ram so I usually set up my virtual machines to have 4gb a piece so they run snappy. Your basically creating virtual computers that can run any Linux distro. windows or osx. It is advised to have a cpu that supports virtualization and you need lots of spare ram.

Like others have mentioned, all Linux distros(versions) are basically the same besides their default set of applications, the default theme and the package manager(how you install applications). Unlike windows, you install applications from a built in package manager. You can find versions to download from websites but you do not need to as your package manager can be used to fetch the package from the distro's mirrors and install it without ever going to a website to download the package. This way, the distro can update the packages and basically track them.

One thing you have to remember is to forget everything you learned about Windows as Linux does everything different. That is the one caveat that people coming from windows have a hard time grasping. This is an older article but it will explain how Linux is different from windows: Linux is Not Windows

One of the nice things about Linux is that you can find alternative applications that do the same exact thing as the window's application but it works a lot better and has many more feature plus they are all free. On top of that, most all Linux applications are open source which basically means that the code is open for anyone to look at and modify but if they modify anything, they are required to document their changes and give the source code back to the community. Here is a nice website that will list Linux alternatives for Windows applications: http://www.linuxalt.com/

instead of a few programmers at microsoft fixing problems and such, you literally have thousands of people all over the world looking at the code and providing fixes and updates hence the improved security of Linux. Plus you do not have to worry about spyware, viruses or malware. That said, there are some of those but nothing in the wild and they are mostly only proof of concept stuff in labs. If there is ever an exploit or problem found, fixes are push out almost immediately due to the openness of Linux and open source.

I started using Linux about 12 years ago and I never once missed running that other OS. Do not feel bad about being a beginner as we were all once a newcomer to Linux. Here is a nice quote from our dear friend Bruno (RIP):

We try to avoid the word "newbie", it does no justice to the efforts we, also the beginners, put in to learn a new operating system. I think the wish to learn Linux shows a brave attitude and deserves a better qualification. --Bruno

Once again, welcome to our forum and enjoy your stay. You will not find another Linux forum out there with the willingness to help and you will never have anyone tell you to RTFM (read the fine manual). We are all courteous and love to help out each other. I am glad to have you as part of out "family". :)

B)

• Like 3

Ask around I'm not the only one this is happening to ..

Please try to little less hasty with innuendo's

Scare tactics my foot . I'm Irish and tell it in a diplomatic and sensitive way .Absolutely no need for you to censure my opinions :alien: :alien: :alien:

Alright, I'm "asking around". Has anyone else found Mint downloads to be less reliable than other distros? I certainly haven't. And what has being Irish have to do with it?

Hedon James

Once again, welcome to our forum and enjoy your stay. You will not find another Linux forum out there with the willingness to help and you will never have anyone tell you to RTFM (read the fine manual). We are all courteous and love to help out each other. I am glad to have you as part of out "family". :)

B)

I don't think that's what RTFM stands for?! :whistling:

• Like 2

securitybreach

B)

I don't think that's what RTFM stands for?! :whistling:

Yeah I know....

Alright, I'm "asking around". Has anyone else found Mint downloads to be less reliable than other distros? I certainly haven't. And what has being Irish have to do with it?

I have never once had an issue downloading LinuxMint. Actually just for testing, I just downloaded it three times from three mirrors around the world and all the md5sums checked out so I dunno.

• Like 2

Fellas, if you start arguing, you'll scare the new recruit away! As a former teacher, let me say, "Knock it off!" No I don't wear a bun and have a ruler in my hand but I was able to give "the look" to my teenaged students and they knew I meant business. :teehee:

bootneck02, welcome to Scot's!

First download an ISO and then "burn" it to a USB stick, 8GB should be fine.

I always tell new recruits to try Linux live on a computer to see if the hardware likes the particular distro they've decided on.

If you don't know how to do this, yell and I will post step by step instructions.

Next, think about what you do in Windows and post what you absolutely need to do to be comfortable in day to day operations. Someone will post something that is a good fit for your computing style.

I travel with a netbook with linux on it. All that I require on that is to be able to surf safely, get email and watch movies. For my simple travel needs, I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. But if I worked at home in linux, I'd need a lot more functionality.

Edited by zlim
  • Like 8

bootneck02

Well what a welcome thanks for the advice and the welcome, one of the issues I have is Facebook as my grown up children and grand child live away one is Oxfordshire and the other in Shepton Mallet, Somerset, it is my main of comunication with them, is Facebook compatable with Linux? :whistling:

Edited by bootneck02

securitybreach

Huh? Facebook is simply a website so if you have a browser, it is available. If you mean a facebook application for linux, they exist but you really only need the website:

https://www.facebook...200236345979960

http://itsfoss.com/f...essenger-linux/

http://www.webupd8.o...e-facebook.html

Personally I have never and will never use Facebook but that is a personal choice. I do use Google+, twitter and others but never Facebook

• Like 1

bootneck02

Thanks securitybreach for the swift reply, the other issue is my email address will I have to change that, I am using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, which comes through the email server of my internet provider (my name @vfast.co.uk) :whistling:

Edited by bootneck02

bootneck02

Another thought is will I be able to run WCG (World Comunity Grid) as I crunch 24/7 for them and would not wish to stop doing that. Here is the speck of my PC if that is of any help:- Home built PC:- Microsoft 8.1 64bit OS, CPU Asus A88X-Plus, Hard drive Seagate SSHD 200 GB, Ram 16 GB, Sound Card XONAR DS 5.1, Speakers Microlab FC360 2.1, Video Card GeForce GT640. :shifty:

• Like 1

Thanks securitybreach for the swift reply, the other issue is my email address will I have to change that, I am using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, which comes through the email server of my internet provider (my name @vfast.co.uk) :whistling:

There are applications such as Thunderbird (from Mozilla) that can take the place of Outlook on your linux box. Thunderbird is probably available through most distros' repositories and will probably set up your email account automatically when supplied with your email address and password during initial setup. If that doesn't work for some reason, several people here could help you set up manually if you research your ISP's port settings for email.
  • Like 3

securitybreach

Another thought is will I be able to run WCG (World Comunity Grid) as I crunch 24/7 for them and would not wish to stop doing that. Here is the speck of my PC if that is of any help:- Home built PC:- Microsoft 8.1 64bit OS, CPU Asus A88X-Plus, Hard drive Seagate SSHD 200 GB, Ram 16 GB, Sound Card XONAR DS 5.1, Speakers Microlab FC360 2.1, Video Card GeForce GT640. :shifty:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldCommunityGridTeamUbuntu

• Like 2

bootneck02

Right I have just decided how I am going to accumplish this I have about 6 spare hard drives from 1000gig to 2000gig and anything betewn so I am going to disconectthe existing C drive and reconect with the new 2tb drive install the new 2tb and install Zorin on that if I do that it will be harder when I get frustrated to re boot into windows. So will see you all again when I am back up and running. On the insallation of Zorin it asks if you want to have the zorin encripted should I have encription. Oh by the way I keep my music collection on my drive about 1 Tb worth so need a big drive.

bootneck02
:shifty: Well Zorin downloaded all went well but there were a lot of updates took about an hour to upload and install, just trying to set up Firefox as do not like BIG BROTHER Google. Might take a little time to get used to this OS but fine so far. Thank you all for all your help and advice without you I don't think I would have had the courage in diping my toe into the pond. Once thanks all. :clap: :bounce:
  • Like 4

:shifty: Well Zorin downloaded all went well but there were a lot of updates took about an hour to upload and install, just trying to set up Firefox as do not like BIG BROTHER Google. Might take a little time to get used to this OS but fine so far. Thank you all for all your help and advice without you I don't think I would have had the courage in diping my toe into the pond. Once thanks all. :clap: :bounce:

It takes all day to install Windows 7 even if you install it with SP1 already included. Consider yourself lucky that Zorin only took an hour. :clap:

• Like 4

bootneck02
:clap: Well I have done it Zorin is installed on my PC, The first thing I have found that the PC is running a lot cooler than when running Windows, The sound card XONAR DS is not working so am having to use the mother board onboard sound card, audio is not as good as the XONAR one. I do not use Google but do not seem to be able to get the Firefox page up only Google :'( so have installed Ixquick toolbar and use that, I have been able to get on to Facebook so that is ok. The main thing is now to download my music about 1GB worth and pictures. :whistling:
  • Like 1