Apple May Ditch Intel?

Peachy

This report suggests Apple may be close to migrating it's PC platform away from Intel and towards its own silicon. One reason this seems plausible is that it would unify all their hardware to a single architecture and make software development simpler.

I suppose it makes sense, especially considering that the next wave of laptops will be little more than tablets with attached keyboards (I'm particularly thinking of devices like the Chromebook) and a beefed-up mobile processor should perform adequately. The downside is that those of us with Intel based Macs won't be seeing any improved OSs for our computers. Could Mountain Lion be the last OS for Intel based Macs?

Temmu, pretty much everything has been update to Ivy Bridge this year. the Only Mac that has not been updated is the Mac Pro, which rumors indicate may be updated early next year.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Sure. Apple can continue its policy of utilizing really, really cheap Chinese slave labor to produce its own processors. Excellent idea! Then they can really corner the market with cheaply made iJunk and and Walmart-like bullying.

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, this is nothing new. They have been working toward this for the last, what? Two years?

I think most of us saw this coming. Apple like to control how their products are made, and used, and how they look. We all know that. The only saving grace is that they make great products. I love their products.

Edited by LilBambi
rewrote the inflammatory words, that was uncalled for

Guest LilBambi

This does not mean I don't use Windows and especially Linux still. I use Windows to keep abreast of what my the majority of my clients need. I use Linux for fun and freedom. But Apple makes life easier in many respects and their integration between devices and their computers/laptops can't be beat, IMHO.

Android comes a close second, but I still like my Apple products in general for that integration.

Oh, and btw, Apple is not the only, or the worst when it comes to so called slave labor.

If one wants to complain about that, complain about all electronics companies that do that.

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, and btw, Apple is not the only, or the worst when it comes to so called slave labor.

Of course they aren't. GREED is a blight on mankind. Everyone's in for a penny and a pound and the last drop of blood these days. It's not just electronics companies, either.

P. S. I shouldn't even be in this area making inflammatory comments. Please accept my apologies. I'm going back to BATL where I can stay out of trouble, for the most part. :yes:

Uhmmm ... re 'last OS' -- but can't you boot several varieties of linux on Mac laptops?

I had to finally give up my beloved win2k on recent motherboard upgrades -- can't get drivers. But linux saved the day.