Asunder

raymac46

As a long time Gnomie I have been accustomed to using Sound Juicer to rip and encode my CDs into MP3 files. However I have been bothered recently by the fact that SJ does not retrieve CD info from the Internet all that well.

You put in a CD and instead of getting a track list all the titles are blank. If you try to extract a track without manually typing in the name of the song, Sound Juicer crashes.

So I looked for an alternate ripper and I found a pretty good one called Asunder. It doesn't have a pretty interface and it requires you to install lame if you want MP3 files but otherwise it works very well and the CD info it retrieves is pretty accurate - even on older CDs.

Asunder is in the Ubuntu repos at least, also available for Linux Mint.

V.T. Eric Layton

Asunder does work very well, by the way. It's a bit complicated to install in Slackware (nothing a Slacker isn't used to already, though), but a breeze to get running in Arch. :)

securitybreach

Heh-heh! Actually, YOU were the one who recommended Asunder to me a while back. I've been using it ever since. Works like a champ! :)

All that techie stuff is making you lose your mind. ;)

Yeah, sorry I forgot B)

I use cdparanoia so I do not deal with a gui ripper hence why I forgot that I mentioned to ya. I usually deal with encoded mp3s so it has been a long time since I had an actual bought cd to play with.

I used Asunder for a while and it works well.

In KDE I now use SoundKonverter; it rips CDs, collects CD info for tags and converts formats as well. For any stray files that don't have tags I use Easytag and it can even search for tags online for unnamed, untagged albums.