Replaced my battery...

SueD

...not even a Live CD.According to amibios, my BIOS version is a GE PRO-M2 BIOS P2.50. And except for setting up my boot order, nothing's been touched.Forget trying to boot into Mandriva, it just hangs. Slackware stops at...

ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14hda: lost interrupt
What have I done?

Do you use Lilo? Is so, try passing the boot option:acpi=offJust type that in after you make your boot selectionI've never used grub, so I don't know how to pass boot parameters in grub.From what I have read, there may be a bug in 2.6.24 kernels causing this. There should be some successful boots.

Hi SueAs you replace the battery you loose ALL your BIOS settings ( also the BIOS password in case you did set up any ) . . . and should walk through them one by one to make sure they are okay.B) Bruno

GE%20PRO-M2.jpgAsrock desktop motherboard, not laptop.Changing the CMOS battery resets all BIOS settings to factory defaults. You need to get to the BIOS (press f2 at startup) and change some settings. Edited by b2cm

I knew all my settings would revert to the default so that's not the problem. Everything looks as it did before the battery change, I'm almost sure of it (98% sure, anyways). I even enabled or disabled some stuff, one at a time, to see if that would work. It didn't.But even if they aren't, shouldn't I at least be able to boot up with a Live CD? None of them are working.Oh, and I did change one thing at the beginning...the date and time. But that should be a good thing, non?ETA...the other desktop I have here has the exact same BIOS and both are almost identical.

Edited by SueD

Hello,Did you check to make sure none of the expansion cards or cables inside the computer chassis are still firmly seated? One can sometimes nudge a cable just enough when changing a battery so that some device no longer powers up or is seen by the BIOS.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

I did check but I will check again.
I agree with Andrew. Just opening the case can cause trouble. I'd reopen it and while I had it open I'd vacuum all the accumulated dirt and dust and take the time to clean the memory stick's connectors and reseat all of the cables.There should be an option in the BIOS for setting everything to default "failsafe" condition. I'd try that first and once it's working, reset things for faster operation one at a time. Edited by lewmur

Thanks all. Most is fine now without any help from me, it seems. I was able to boot into Slackware a few minutes ago without touching a thing. Stupid computer.

Typical <sigh> Computers do that and we have no idea why! I still think all computers have gremlins inside that play tricks every so often just to confuse us. :hysterical:I tell my husband the electrons need to be shussled properly. (Shussled is a PA-Dutch actually PA-German word that means reorganized but in a messy way). So the elctrons finally got properly shussled! :)

Typical <sigh> Computers do that and we have no idea why! I still think all computers have gremlins inside that play tricks every so often just to confuse us. :hysterical:I tell my husband the electrons need to be shussled properly. (Shussled is a PA-Dutch actually PA-German word that means reorganized but in a messy way). So the elctrons finally got properly shussled! :)
I agree with that Zlim. By the way, I wonder if that Shussled has the same origins as our english word "shuffled". Or perhaps our shuffled is a derivative of the German word.