Mandriva install without ISOs

Bruno

There are 2 different ways posted on how to do a Mandriva install without ISO's and before the official public release:1). The FTP install2). The HD to HD installBecause the instructions did get a bit lost in the middle of a thread I am going to post them here again.Both installs need the same 14586 KB boot.iso to get started.The FTP install ( post No 2 ) is the quickest and easiest way, but for those who for whatever reason prefer the HD to HD install ( download all the files first ) see post No 3.B) Bruno

Mandriva FTP InstallHere is what you do for the FTP-Install:1). Get the "boot.iso" and burn it to CD: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...images/boot.iso 2). Boot from the CD and press Enter at the first screen3). Select "FTP-Server" from the next screen4). Next screen: Select DHCP ( or whatever suitable for your connection )5). Next screen: Fill in anything you want :)6). You get a message "Bringing up the network" . . this might take a minute 7). Next screen: Proxy . . . leave blank8). Next screen: The Address . . . . watch out here . . . on the first line you put: ftp.nluug.nlon the 2nd line: /pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/2005/i586/ ( !! Case Sensitive !! ) 9). The "normal" install procedure will start . . if you need a lead see HereHave FUN !!B) Bruno

Mandriva HD to HD installThe HD to HD instal . . . . here is what you do:Make a directory on the partition you what to download the files to and "cd" to it: ( The space needed is about 3.7 GB )

# mkdir /mnt/hdaXX/MDV# cd /mnt/hdaXX/MDV

( I assumed hdaXX was empty or had enough space and was already mounted ;) )Then download the tree with:

wget  -nH  --cut-dirs=6  -r --exclude-directories=/pub/os/Linux\/distr/Mandrake/official/2005/i586/media/contrib,/pub/os/Linux\/distr/Mandrake/official/2005/i586/media/jpackage \ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/2005/i586/

( This is ONE command . . copy and paste the full code !! )NOTE: I left out the Contrib and Jpackage directories because you do not need them during the install and it would require about 10 GB diskspace !1). Boot from boot.iso CD ( ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...images/boot.iso )2). Select HD where packages are ( hda or hdb )3). Select partition where packages are ( hdbX )5). Select directory . . type "MDV/2005/i586/"6). The normal install starts . . :DNOTE: During the install you select "existing partitions" . . . and when at the "mount points" you will see that the hdbX that has the packages is marked "/mnt/hd" . . . better leave it that way B) . . . . and choose your / partition ( + /home and others if applicable ). Next choose the default packages because we did not download Contrib, so "individual package selection" might fail.The install took 15 minutes on my test system :DAfter the install and once connected to the net you can add the FTP sources . . also for Contrib and Jpackage ;) . . here is how:

# urpmi.removemedia -a# urpmi.addmedia --distrib nluug- ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/2005/i586/

B) Bruno