python3-mpltoolkits.basemap - Debian Stable

Dr. J

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I'm back to good ol' reliable Jessie, and need the package above for a bit of a project I've been working on. The trouble is, It's only available for the 'testing' and 'unstable' distributions. I've tried installing with pip, but apparently no download links are listed for basemap (on the site pip uses for downloads).

My question is, is there a safe way to pull in the package from 'testing' without the risk of compromising an otherwise rock-solid system? I haven't added any apt repositories yet, but I've changed synaptic to 'prefer versions from stable'... Is this specific to synaptic, or does it affect all of apt?

A bit of advice would be appreciated, thank you

J.

securitybreach

You could try manually installing it with dpkg. First go here, scroll down and click on your Architecture. Then the next page will give a list of servers to download the file from. When it is done, open a terminal and navigate to where it is downloaded to and run this as root:

dpkg -i python3-mpltoolkits.basemap_1.0.7+dfsg-3+b3_amd64.deb

Change the arch from amd64 to whatever version you use.

• Like 1

As it turns out, that version of basemap depends on python 3.5, whereas Jessie is still on 3.4. Upgrading to testing for the one package is a little extreme... I'll try and get to the bottom of why there's no link for pip. Ma bey I can find a .whl somewhere.

You can also temporarily enable the testing repos in your package management tool. Update the repo lists, install the package you need (with all dependencies), then disable the testing repos.

• Like 2

securitybreach

You can also temporarily enable the testing repos in your package management tool. Update the repo lists, install the package you need (with all dependencies), then disable the testing repos.

I think I would try that one if I were you

Just gave that a try. It either failed to install because of the python3 version, or tried to upgrade python and everything dependent on it (libreoffice and a bunch of other, important-looking stuff), depending on the preference I gave testing in /etc/apt/preference.d.

I tried compiling from source as well, but had no luck there, It needs GEOS libraries, which don't seem to be a part of either C or C++ libgeos packages that Debian offers.

Anyhow, this isn't really a pressing matter, I have other projects to work on, and everything else on my system works perfectly at the minute.

Speaking long-term, once Jessie reaches the end of LTS, I'll try a full upgrade to testing (If it's physically possible for me to be running the same OS for that long... ;) )

Thank you for the advice.

I wouldn't install packages from testing on stable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it destroys your system. If stable's python is not compatible with that package best to be especially wary.

Better to install testing or unstable or siduction in VirtualBox and do your stuff there.

depending on the preference I gave testing in /etc/apt/preference.d.

Why did you not make the change in /etc/apt/sources.list ??

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

If you add a repo to sources, you must set a low preference if you don't want all available updateable packages to be installed when you do an update/upgrade. https://wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences .

We call it FrankenDebian.

https://wiki.debian....DontBreakDebian

There is a long thread of users ignoring this and suffering the consequences -

Repo mix-and-match hit parade

I wouldn't install packages from testing on stable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it destroys your system. If stable's python is not compatible with that package best to be especially wary.

Better to install testing or unstable or siduction in VirtualBox and do your stuff there.

depending on the preference I gave testing in /etc/apt/preference.d.

Why did you not make the change in /etc/apt/sources.list ??

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

Virtualbox is probably a good call. I'll give pure testing a shot, see how that runs, perhaps try a dist-upgrade from a minimal installation of stable.

We may have a misunderstanding here, I added the repos in sources.list, and set preferences in preferences.d according to this.

Is there a more effective way of doing this?

Anyhow, I tried manually installing the .deb again, this time with gdebi. I found out what version of libgeos it needed, but that of course had it's own dependencies, which landed me in a case of Dependency H :devil: ll, so I ruled that out after about four layers.

Virtualbox is probably a good call. I'll give pure testing a shot, see how that runs, perhaps try a dist-upgrade from a minimal installation of stable.

I'd say VBox is your best option unless you want to multiboot. Debian testing is a bit unstable currently. siduction is great, based on unstable, but they are heading to a new release soon so I'd wait for that if you use KDE as they are ironing out bugs from the new Plasma 5.6 atm. siduction with other desktops should be fine but it does need regular updates, at least weekly. It would be the first thing I would recommend to try if you wanted to go the VM way.

We may have a misunderstanding here, I added the repos in sources.list, and set preferences in preferences.d according to this.

Is there a more effective way of doing this?

Anyhow, I tried manually installing the .deb again, this time with gdebi. I found out what version of libgeos it needed, but that of course had it's own dependencies, which landed me in a case of Dependency H :devil: ll, so I ruled that out after about four layers.

Yes that is the way to use preferences, as described in the Debian wiki link I posted. It still won't resolve all dependency problems as you discovered.

The best way for stable would be to backport your own packages. Stevo and other devs at MX-15 love the challenge of doing this so post at MX forums and they may be able to help and may even build a suitable package for you! :thumbsup: B)

I think I'll go for the VBox option and give siduction a try. I'll use LXQT though, I've been meaning to try it out for a while and might as well. I've never actually looked at backporting, so I'll poke around the Debian wiki for that too.

• Like 1

I like LXQt, tried siduction version in VBox a while back. It's still a work in progress so not feature complete enough for a daily driver for me, but it's certainly on the list for future consideration.

It should be great for your purpose, Dr.J. Please keep us in the loop about your experiences with it.

I've just installed the paintitblack LXQt release. Guest additions worked out of the box, which is always nice, but LXQt panel seems a bit glitchy at the moment (window list and sys-tray keep going invisable). I'll run an update and possibly switch the panel to tint2.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

EDIT: Updating fixed the panel issue.

Edited by Dr. J
  • Like 2