Nano Tips for Linux Newbies

jsalpha2

This is to simple to go in the "Tips for Linux Explorers" section.

When you use nano, and are used to mousepad, leafpad, or gedit, you might be very confused.

For help it says to push the up arrow and G, but that is wrong, wrong, wrong. They mean press the Ctrl key.

Quote"In this text, the control key is referred to using ^. For example, ^X means ``hold down the CTRL key and press the x key''.

Do they think you are just supposed to know this? If you don't have another computer handy, to Google for basic Nano usage,

then you can be stumped. There is not even a handy X to close nano.

Save = Ctrl + O

Exit = Ctrl + X

Most of you are probably falling out of your chair laughing at me. Oh well.

• Like 1

It's a good point. Nano makes commands easy by listing them at the bottom of its page, but doesn't explicitly tell you what ^ means.

And it tells you that ^O means WriteOut which most other programs call Save.

Also we try to avoid the N word here, I'll let someone else find Bruno's quote and explanation. That's why we use the term Explorers.

As an almost irrelevant side note, I play Ingress and our faction , Enlightened, has the nickname Frogs, because our team colour is green . We call our new players Tadpoles. :)

securitybreach

The quote you speak of...

We try to avoid the word "newbie", it does no justice to the efforts we, also the beginners, put in to learn a new operating system. I think the wish to learn Linux shows a brave attitude and deserves a better qualification. --Bruno
  • Like 1

securitybreach

Where are you actually referring to? Can you give us a link to the section you are talking about as I simply do not see it?

I will edit it to be clearer but a lot of those tips are no longer valid. That post was originally written by our Friend/mentor/guru Bruno who passed away a little over 6 years ago. I do not mind editing any mistakes you find but just remember that some of those may be outdated. I think I may end up putting a note in the post to further clarify things when I can.

Thanks for letting us know about an error. :)

"Also we try to avoid the N word here" ...I had to go back and read my post a few times. When you said the N word, I thought you meant Nano.

I may have been a little upset when I posted. No offense intended.

Don't see a way to edit the title?

Edited by jsalpha2

Certainly no offense intended here either, and we absolutely welcome your contribution. Bruno was the original mentor for this forum and gave invaluable help to most of us in an encouraging and non-deprecating manner and we try to follow in his footsteps. As posted above, we try to give people learning new things more credit than the term "newbies" implies.

I think you can edit the title by selecting "Edit" in your first post.

Hedon James

I am guilty of also using the term "newbie" on occasion (the "n" word?). There was another thread on this forum in the past month or so where I used that term, and was politely admonished as to why we don't use that term here. I respect the tradition here, and meant nothing derogatory in the use of that word. I also explained in that thread how the "n-word" had a completely different connotation in my world.

I'm not sure if I'm just an abnormal person, or if the connotation of that word has mutated over time. Either way, with all due respect to Bruno (whom I never had the pleasure of knowing, but I'm certain I would've liked immensely!), I'd like to suggest that we mutate the meaning of that word.

For instance, in my family the term "outlaws" is similar to "inlaws" but specifically refers to "inlaws not related by bloodlines; by marriage only". It is a term of endearment and is usually used in sentences like: "Here's a story for the outlaws....", which is usually followed by a funny or interesting piece of family history that we weren't around for, but is being shared with us. Also, "can we get a family photo without the outlaws?"

Similarly, at one point in time, the word "fat" was meant to be derogatory for overweight people, but now "phat" is slang for an attractive person. Likewise "sick" has somehow mutated into a synonym for "unbelievably cool", as in "that's a sick-looking tattoo dude!" Similarly, in MY mind, the "n-word" isn't a putdown; but moreso an admission of "I don't know much about this....YET, but I'm curious to learn more, and I'm working on that and it's only a matter of time!"

But I'm just 1 of MANY on here and certainly don't want to disrespect one of the fundamental tenets that makes this forum so great. So I'll abide by the wishes of the group, but I understand where the OP is coming from also!

I do somewhat agree with you about the word "newbie", Hedon James. I don't consider it demeaning, just a description of someone in the process of learning or attempting to learn (or dithering about aimlessly when they should be learning which is the negative connotation).

It's more of a tradition here in deference to Bruno and his take on the term. Still, "Explorers" does sound much more positive. B)

• Like 1