#26 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 17 June 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

Why do you think you went wrong?

My biggest regret regarding GNU/Linux was that I didn't start back in 2000 when that friend of mine gave me those nine floppy disks with Mandrake Linux on them. :(

How long have you got ? :Laughing:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#27 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,222 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 17 June 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

How long have you got ? :Laughing:

About 52 years. Take your time. ;)

#28 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

52 years ! Ah ha  yes I am using the same crystal ball. An look a slightly older respectable Eric living in comfort. Guess he must have got that job. Time has been kind to him as he certainly does not look 104.

Posted Image

:P
Install ARCH

#29 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,222 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

I don't remember if I ever told this story here (true story, by the way), but...

When I was a little tyke (about 4 years old, I think) a pal named Alex who lived across the street had gotten one of those Magic Kits for Christmas or his birthday or some such. Part of the kit explained how to read palms. He read mine out in my front yard when we were out there playing one afternoon. He said, "You see that line there, Eric? That's your life line. You're going to live to 104."

I'm gonna' hold him to that prediction.

Sadly, ol' Al didn't make it past 48. He died a few years back. :(

#30 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 18 June 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

I don't remember if I ever told this story here (true story, by the way), but...

When I was a little tyke (about 4 years old, I think) a pal named Alex who lived across the street had gotten one of those Magic Kits for Christmas or his birthday or some such. Part of the kit explained how to read palms. He read mine out in my front yard when we were out there playing one afternoon. He said, "You see that line there, Eric? That's your life line. You're going to live to 104."

I'm gonna' hold him to that prediction.

Sadly, ol' Al didn't make it past 48. He died a few years back. :(

I knew all them folks who call me a psycho were right, I can see into the future. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#31 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,222 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

We can all see into the future. The problem is that it's always changing. ;)

#32 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,098 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

You guys are too much :hysterical:

B)
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#33 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,222 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yeah... but too much what? ;)

#34 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

ConnochaetOS Makes Slackware Truly Free and a Bit Easier (2015)

In the open source sense, free software is free of proprietary drivers and related non-open source components. Not all Linux distros are "free" in this sense. ConnochaetOS is.
ConnochaetOS contains only free software; it includes no proprietary, non-free software. The developer removed non-free parts of the upstream distros and -- where possible -- replaced them with free counterparts.
That is perhaps one of this distro's strongest characteristics. ConnochaetOS delivers a fully free GNU/Linux distro that is ideal for use on x86 computers with limited resources.

It ain't quite fully Slackware and funnily enough it started a s an Arch based os.

ConnochaetOS is based on the Slackware Linux Project and Salix OS, two foundations focused on giving users a GNU/Linux base that is fast and easy to use with a heavy measure of stability.
Slackware is the one of the oldest GNU/Linux distros still maintained and in popular use. At its core is a simple administrative design built around the command line interface, or CLI, rather than GUI-driven (graphical user interface) configuration tools.

ConnochaetOS picks up where its predecessor left off. Jensen first developed DeLi Linux. This was a minimalist operating system designed to run on old or low-resource computers.
ConnochaetOS started out as an Arch Linux distro. It progressed to Slackware in later releases.

:Laie_95:
Install ARCH

#35 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,098 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:22 AM

Cool! I remember DeLi Linux from way back when..

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#36 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:33 AM

VectorLinux STD (2015)

VectorLinux (VLocity Linux) is an open source distribution of Linux based on the well known Slackware operating system and built around the lightweight Xfce desktop environment. It is available in multiple editions.

:fish:
Install ARCH

#37 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:11 AM

This is not really a os. However you can use this to create a Slackware multi-media production os and you can use it with almost any os base.

Slackermedia

Introduction

Slackermedia is a book and Linux configuration guide. After reading, comprehending, and implementing the lessons in Slackermedia the book, a user will have a customized Slackware Linux distribution for multimedia production.
The idea is based in part upon the Linux-From-Scratch project and is, with the utmost respect, the antithesis to Ubuntu Studio and other (quite good) “multimedia distros”.

NOTE

To be clear: there is no truth to the idea that there is “a better” distribution for specific tasks (with the exception of minimal installs versus full installs). You do not need a certain distribution of Linux to do multimedia and another to do office work and another to play games - not even to use Slackermedia. While it's best to use Slackware for Slackermedia (because it is written for Slackware), there is plenty of generic and conceptual information in this handbook that it is applicable to all Linux and BSD distributions.

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

#38 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

Austrumi site

http://cyti.latgola.lv/ruuni/

Austrumi 3.2.2: a nice stranger

Austrumi is a Linux distribution that is based on Slackware and developed by a small team from the Latgale region of Latvia, a small ex-USSR Baltic state.

The " forum " link on the Austrumi site does not work.  DD managed to get to the download page but for me in FF all I get is a " 550 Failed to change directory " notice.

I wish the person or team all the best in their endeavour and hope they can rectify the small glitches on their site. :hug:
Install ARCH

#39 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:59 PM

I tried Austrumi years ago and it worked quite well. However it looks like the developer has moved on to other things judging by lack of releases and sad state of the website.

Hang on, I replied here due to a new post notification then noticed the previous one is from 2015. Did we get spam or something? :unsure2:
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageKXStudio
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#40 OFFLINE   mlangdn

mlangdn

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

I don't know if it was spam - but I came here for the same reason.

mlangdn,

abarbarian has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Slackware articles through the ages.".

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bit late with this news but I know we have Porteus lovers here.

Today, December 29, 2016, the development team behind the Porteus (formerly Slax Remix) Linux-based operating system series proudly announced the final release of Porteus 3.2.2.  (http://news.softpedi...-9-511398.shtml)

#41 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,222 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:00 PM

Well, that's all pretty weird.

#42 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

View Postsunrat, on 17 January 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

I tried Austrumi years ago and it worked quite well. However it looks like the developer has moved on to other things judging by lack of releases and sad state of the website.

Hang on, I replied here due to a new post notification then noticed the previous one is from 2015. Did we get spam or something? :unsure:

View Postmlangdn, on 17 January 2017 - 08:32 PM, said:

I don't know if it was spam - but I came here for the same reason.

mlangdn,

abarbarian has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Slackware articles through the ages.".

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bit late with this news but I know we have Porteus lovers here.

Today, December 29, 2016, the development team behind the Porteus (formerly Slax Remix) Linux-based operating system series proudly announced the final release of Porteus 3.2.2.  (http://news.softpedi...-9-511398.shtml)

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 17 January 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

Well, that's all pretty weird.

View Postsunrat, on 17 January 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

Hang on, I replied here due to a new post notification then noticed the previous one is from 2015. Did we get spam or something? :unsure:

In my time I have been a master of manipulation. This was just an exercise to keep my skills up to date. Three hits ain't half bad, I'm not as rusty as I thought. :devil:

Truth is I posted about Porteus then realised there is a Porteus thread so deleted the post here. See no manipulation or magical weirdness at all. :whistling:
Install ARCH

#43 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,222 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

Ahhhh... I can sleep now.

#44 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:25 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 18 January 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

Ahhhh... I can sleep now.

What Posted Image even though you have not solved the mystery of the 560.
Install ARCH

#45 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:28 AM

Slackermedia

Posted Image

Introduction

Slackermedia is a book and Linux configuration guide. After reading, comprehending, and implementing the lessons in Slackermedia the book, a user will have a customized Slackware Linux distribution for multimedia production.
The idea is based in part upon the Linux-From-Scratch project and is, with the utmost respect, the antithesis to Ubuntu Studio and other (quite good) “multimedia distros”.
So what is Slackermedia?

Slackermedia is a set of tutorials on how to build your own Slackware multimedia environment that will be tailored specifically for you and how you work.
Slackermedia exists for two reasons:

• To build one's environment is to know one's environment.

• Slackware is a stable, powerful, unix-like, well-supported, sensible, free and open operating system, ideal for the needs of a multimedia artist.

http://slackermedia....u.php?id=ardour

If you look at the handbook there is a list of applications each has its own page and gives details about the program along with strengths and weaknesses that the program contains. For example the opening application is ARDOUR,

Ardour is a professional-grade, meat-and-potatoes digital audio workstation: it features all the must-have features that you would expect from a pro DAW, and is actively adding more in a quick but stable manner. It is written by one of the most well-respected audio engineers in the Linux world, and is one of the go-to applications for Linux musicians and audio producers every where.

Strengths [Weaknesses]

Familiar

If you are a flexible and alacritous DAW user, Ardour will be familiar enough to you to pick up in a week or two.
Powerful

Heaps of features, with more appearing each version. Thanks to the communication that the developer has with his user base, the new features are useful and sensible, not just programmer-centric experiments.
Stable

The developer keeps a strictly conservative release cycle, offering only stable and reliable updates to his users.

Weaknesses [Strengths]

Complex

If you are new to professional DAWs, Ardour may at first seem complex.
JACK

Ardour is a JACK-aware application, meaning that it can render complex audio routing that could confuse new users.

Just realised I have posted regarding Slackermedia before. Oh well any excuse to post. :fish:

Edited by abarbarian, 20 January 2017 - 10:30 AM.

Install ARCH

#46 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:34 AM

Studioware

We make the tools.
You make the music.

The Studioware Project

Studioware is a project aimed at providing build scripts and packages of the best open source audio, video and photo editing software available for Slackware Linux. It includes libraries and other dependencies with a comprehensive dependency list for each package so you will know exactly what you need to install. Although Studioware is quite a small project, the maintainers are Slackware users of many years experience. The wiki is being built up steadily and is the main source of the project's documentation and is hosted by the Slackware Documentation Project. See the Quick Start guide to get started

Here is another project devoted to media production looking to simplify the installation and maintenance of the tools need for such tasks.

Install ARCH

#47 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,098 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:41 AM

Neat stuff, thanks :thumbsup:

I think I will check Slackermedia when I get home..

#48 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,222 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

CLX? Wot? Wot?

#49 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 20 January 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

CLX? Wot? Wot?

ermmm .
Install ARCH

#50 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,222 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

Oh, my mistake... I meant DLX. Little rusty on my Roman numeration. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slackware, ancient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users