Goodwill Industries probes possible payment card breach

Guest LilBambi
Goodwill Industries International said Monday federal authorities are investigating a possible payment card breach at its U.S.-based retail outlets.

The nonprofit agency, which sells donated goods to fund employment programs, was notified on Friday, according to a statement from Lauren Lawson-Zilai, Goodwill's director of public relations. The U.S. Secret Service is investigating along with payment card industry fraud units.

Much more in the article.

Just goes to show one should never use the card outside the bank . Get the cash and pay that way .

Then the chip and pin cards are a lot safer if one is not cloned and used in the USA. Where the older steamage cards are still in use .

Sad but true. :shrug:

In the United States, if your credit card is exposed, you are NOT liable for he fraudulent purchases. Debit Cards may vary in that respect, but if you bank at a credit union, the issuer agreement is usually favorable to the cardholder.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

The following is the case at most banks in the USA and the quote is from Wikipedia:

United States

Cardholder liability

In the US, federal law limits the liability of card holders to $50 in the event of theft of the actual credit card, regardless of the amount charged on the card, if reported within 60 days of receiving the statement.[16] In practice many issuers will waive this small payment and simply remove the fraudulent charges from the customer's account if the customer signs an affidavit confirming that the charges are indeed fraudulent. If the physical card is not lost or stolen, but rather just the credit card account number itself is stolen, then Federal Law guarantees card holders have zero liability to the credit card issuer.[17]

So it's not a hard and fast rule that you are NOT liable, but can often be the case, except if it's just the card number that's stolen.

Edited by LilBambi

Ah, thanks for the correction. However, it is far more likely that your number will be compromised (likely online) while you have control of the card.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Yes, and it won't be your actual card if stolen at Goodwill either. So in this case, you are also correct, right?

But folks should know there are differences depending on many things.

So reading between the lines,that system favours the fraudster .

To a degree, but I think banks have decided they gain more from making people feel secure using credit cards than they lose to fraud. They seem to have become reasonably good at detecting fraud before it runs up a big total, at least with routine customers like me who purchase primarily from the same merchants, don't travel outside the country, etc. I remember about 14 years ago notifying a bank of fraudulent charges, but since that time it's been the banks that notify me and issue a new card before the charges even hit my account. Edited by ebrke

About a month ago someone tried to use my card to buy a sweet gaming rig from bestbuy.com. NFCU was good enough to shut the card down. No idea how the number got out, but it is not valid anymore. :P

Adam

PS- I would have liked to get the computer, though.

• Like 1