Win-7 PE livecd

burninbush

http://reboot.pro/11852/

Wonder if any here are playing with this live cd made from win7 bits? I ran across this link a few days ago when chasing a usb booting issue, decided to make one. I was not successful at making the iso on an XP box [with a win7 install disk in a virtual cd drive] but it worked immediately on a win7 laptop I have here, finding the files it needed on the running machine. Creates an iso of ~300mb size, in about 4 - 5 minutes.

I have used Bart's PE and variants for several years, but the art is much improved from what I've seen before. Booting the iso [on hard disk] with grub takes about 70 seconds. Booting it on the Win7 Toshiba laptop, all the hardware worked immediately, even got the screen rez correct without any assistance. I was able to install several serious apps; Firefox, DVDFab, and my favorite wave editor -- all worked completely nominally.

I will take this along on my travels -- will keep the laptop going even with a dead hard disk.

I'm purely fascinated by all sorts of live cds -- this one is a keeper. Also immediately available for use with it are 70 small apps -- too numerous to detail. Has several registry tools, and several cloning apps.

THANKs!

I've been looking to update my Windows bootup CDs as my BartPE's are a bit long in tooth and have problems with newer MB and components.

sounds very cool!

does the iso run all the laptop's devices - the video, nic, wireless? usb devices?

do any utils run on it? (superantispyware? etc.)

Absolutely, very cool. Best of the PE live's that I've seen yet.

I guess you are asking, can you install apps onto a running system? That is a certain yes; I did several like Firefox and DVDFab, plus a bunch of other utils. One big caveat, I don't see a way to add anything that requires a reboot -- there is no persistence through a reboot.

And the exception to that caveat, is 'portable' apps installed to some hd subdir; those I tried did maintain and remember their own settings [e.g., Firefox and Thunderbird].

I burned the iso as the first session of a multisession dvd -- making it easy to tack new directories onto the disk as I discover a need. Portable apps, and even regular setup.exe files -- doesn't usually take that long to install something, especially if I don't have to hunt for them. The iso comes with a bunch of essentials already installed -- notepad, Wordpad, MediaPlayer, IE-8, others. Needs a burner app for backup, and btw, it runs from memory so you get the optical drive back after it finishes loading.

All the hardware on my newest laptop here [Tosh Satellite couple years old] worked perfectly. Even got the screen rez correct on the first try. Wifi worked.

Try it, you'll like it.