Need help with full /tmp folder

jolphil

Hi all,While updating software in Mandriva 2008 I got a message that my /tmp folder was full and it refused to go any further..Kde will not start now..So my question is how to safely remove files without trashing the system..I can look in the /tmp folder but how and which files to delete.. I assume use rm but I need more assistance as tohow and what..Thank you for any helpjolphilEDIT: laterHere is the contents of my /tmp folderLs -l shows-rw-r—r--1 root root 59346 2008-09-03 15:23 ddebug.log-rw------ 1 root root 56 2008-04-04 11:40 dkms_rpm_safe_upgrade_lock. 6839.eL6896drwx------2 username username 4096 2008-09-03 14:22 gcconf-root-username/drwx------2 root root 4096 2008-06-18 17:48 gcconf-root/-rw-r—r--1 root root 62066 2008-04-03 09:01 report.tar.bz2I hope that helpsjolphil

Edited by jolphil

Hi jolphilI think you first should look at the /home/jolphil/tmp folder . . . ( you can use a Live CD if you can not boot the HD installed distro ) . . basically you can delete all the files in there.Next look in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms and see if there are any files in there . . . you can safely delete them. I think what is in your /tmp ( the files you showed ) should not eat that much space at all . . . . . but once you are able to boot we should have a look at /var/log and see how much space that has taken up.:hysterical: Bruno

Hi jolphilI think you first should look at the /home/jolphil/tmp folder . . . ( you can use a Live CD if you can not boot the HD installed distro ) . . basically you can delete all the files in there.Next look in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms and see if there are any files in there . . . you can safely delete them. I think what is in your /tmp ( the files you showed ) should not eat that much space at all . . . . . but once you are able to boot we should have a look at /var/log and see how much space that has taken up.B) Bruno
Hi Bruno,Thank you for your help..I can boot into ctrl-alt-F3 log in and see my disk..Note during boot in the verbose state it definitely states that"Warning free space in </> is 0 I used the Mandriva default setup on my 100gb disk..it creates hda1 around 8.4 GB and hda5 almost 80gb..I booted into ubuntu live cd and can view my diskhda1-or5 and looked at my /home/jolphil/tmp folder It's not all that large plus it is locked..I have not ever used a live CD to repair a Linux system so I am at a disadvantage..Gee with a 100gb drive I wonder why Mandriva only gave the / partition 8.4 gb? Too late to change it now..KDE also states when it tries to start that /tmp is full..I wonder how or what I could do to decrease something in the / partition Could I cd to the /tmp and 'rm -filename" the biggest file there? at least an older one to get back to the GUI?jolphil

In that case . . . . would you mind to have a look at the sizes of the /tmp and the /var/log and /var/cache directories with the command "du -s /tmp" ( and "du -s /var/log" and "du -s /var/cache" ) ?Usually 8.4 GB should indeed be sufficient for / . . . . . with all the extra software installed mine only uses 6.0 GB of the 15 GB partition, so I am wondering what is wrong with yours.B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

My fully loaded Slackware 12 installation, which was installed nearly a year ago, is only using 50% of my 10Gig /(root) partition. 8.4Gig is probably not going to cause you issues with Mandriva.

In that case . . . . would you mind to have a look at the sizes of the /tmp and the /var/log and /var/cache directories with the command "du -s /tmp" ( and "du -s /var/log" and "du -s /var/cache" ) ?Usually 8.4 GB should indeed be sufficient for / . . . . . with all the extra software installed mine only uses 6.0 GB of the 15 GB partition, so I am wondering what is wrong with yours.B) Bruno
Thanks Guys,I too am puzzled..I have never run into this B4..It happened as I said when I upgraded both clam av and Mozilla..It stated an error and then kde stated it too would not load because it was full..Anyway, which of the three would be the safest to use the du -s on..I would like to do just one,then check to see if it starts then the next and so on..Thanks again Guys,jolphilEdit: Oh I just did a Man on du and see it will show the size..I will do each and report back Edited by jolphil

Thanks Guys,I too am puzzled..I have never run into this B4..It happened as I said when I upgraded both clam av and Mozilla..It stated an error and then kde stated it too would not load because it was full..Anyway, which of the three would be the safest to use the du -s on..I would like to do just one,then check to see if it starts then the next and so on..Thanks again Guys,jolphilEdit: Oh I just did a Man on du and see it will show the size..I will do each and report back
Here are some results..I did it on two hard drives..1 with PCLinuxOS on a 40 gig drive and Mandriva on a 100gig drive..du -s /xxxxPCLinux OS /tmp=1.5meg/var/log=2.1meg/var/cache=26megMandriva/tmp=100k/var/log=53meg/var/cache=284megOk there it is..Does this shed any light?jolphil

Here are some results..I did it on two hard drives..1 with PCLinuxOS on a 40 gig drive and Mandriva on a 100gig drive..du -s /xxxxMandriva/tmp=100k
100K ?!?!?!?!?!?!too small. If you can not resize then reinstall and check to see what the partition makeup is before accepting it.

100K ?!?!?!?!?!?!too small. If you can not resize then reinstall and check to see what the partition makeup is before accepting it.
Ouch!! Is there no way I can remove the safer/older files to get the system back?jolphil

Don't worry . . du -s only shows what is used as space, not the space available. ( crp mixed up 2 commands: du and df B) )If you want to know the space available do "df -h" and it will show you ;)From what I see there are no gigantic space eating things in /tmp or /var/log nor in /var/cache . . . we need to find where all the space was consumed.Please show the output of

# df -h

and

# du -h --max-depth=1  /

:thumbsup: Bruno

Don't worry . . du -s only shows what is used as space, not the space available. ( crp mixed up 2 commands: du and df B) )If you want to know the space available do "df -h" and it will show you ;)From what I see there are no gigantic space eating things in /tmp or /var/log nor in /var/cache . . . we need to find where all the space was consumed.Please show the output of
# df -h

and

# du -h --max-depth=1  /

Thanks Bruno,I'll get on it and get back..jolphil

Thanks Bruno,I'll get on it and get back..jolphil
A Break thru (i Think) I checked the logon sessions and selected ICEWM and lo and behold I got a GUI..It did complain a little though.. Heres the results you asked for.[root@localhost joelaura]# df -hFilesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on/dev/hda1 7.7G 7.3G 0 100% //dev/hda6 81G 5.7G 75G 8% /home/dev/hdb5 233G 103G 131G 44% /mnt/windows[root@localhost joelaura]# du -h --max-depth=1 /28M /etc12K /media11M /bootdu: cannot access `/proc/6826/task/6826/fd/4': No such file or directorydu: cannot access `/proc/6826/task/6826/fdinfo/4': No such file or directorydu: cannot access `/proc/6826/fd/4': No such file or directorydu: cannot access `/proc/6826/fdinfo/4': No such file or directory0 /proc5.3M /root5.5G /home100K /tmp12K /.kde2.3G /usr6.6M /bin20K /opt16K /lost+found0 /sys8.0K /initrd95M /lib164K /dev4.8G /var103G /mnt6.9M /sbin115G /[root@localhost joelaura]# I hope this helpsjolphil

Great ! . . . we nailed the offending one:

4.8G /var
my /var is 190M yours is 4.8GB . . . B) So let us dig a little deeper, let me see:
# du -h --max-depth=1 /var

Great ! . . . we nailed the offending one: my /var is 190M yours is 4.8GB . . . B) So let us dig a little deeper, let me see:
# du -h --max-depth=1 /var

[joelaura@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost joelaura]# du -h --max-depth=1 /var4.0K /var/empty4.0K /var/db164K /var/spool4.0K /var/yp4.2G /var/ftp284M /var/cache4.0K /var/local2.6M /var/tmp4.0K /var/opt4.0K /var/preserve164K /var/run217M /var/lib54M /var/log4.0K /var/nis8.0K /var/lock4.8G /var[root@localhost joelaura]#

[root@localhost joelaura]# du -h --max-depth=1 /var/ftp4.2G /var/ftp/pub4.2G /var/ftp[root@localhost joelaura]#BTW I am not sure whats in this but it sure is big..Does ICEWM have a equivalent of konqueror?Thanksjolphil

I know you will soon ask..Here it is [joelaura@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost joelaura]# du -h --max-depth=1 /var/ftp4.2G /var/ftp/pub4.2G /var/ftp[root@localhost joelaura]# du -h --max-depth=1 /var/ftp/pub4.2G /var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux4.2G /var/ftp/pub[root@localhost joelaura]#

[joelaura@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost joelaura]# ls /var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinuxmedia/[root@localhost joelaura]# ls /var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux/media/contrib/ main/[root@localhost joelaura]# ls /var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux/media/contribBruno I went into contrib and it looks like hundreds of *.rpm.,s too many to post I think..If you want them let me know.jolphil

Okay . . . please let me see:

# urpmq --list-media active

And to empty out the /var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux . . . ( it is safe if we alter the media list I asked you in previous command ) :

# rm -rf /var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux/*

After that you will have your space back and will be able to boot KDE again.We will need to adapt your sources though !B) Bruno

Okay . . . please let me see:
# urpmq --list-media active

And to empty out the /var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux . . . ( it is safe if we alter the media list I asked you in previous command ) :

# rm -rf /var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux/*

After that you will have your space back and will be able to boot KDE again.We will need to adapt your sources though !B) Bruno

[joelaura@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost joelaura]# urpmq --list-media activeplf-freeplf-nonfreemainmain_updatescontribcontrib_updatesnon-freenon-free_updates[root@localhost joelaura]#

I have to go for 1.5 hours . . . will be back later . . . . just look at my last post so you can boot back in KDE.:thumbsup: Bruno@crp: the installer has an option to save the content of the DVD to HD so you have easy access of the files later . . . . . but it does need 5GB space B) . . . . I think that is what happened.It is easy to correct though :thumbsup:

I have to go for 1.5 hours . . . will be back later . . . . just look at my last post so you can boot back in KDE.:thumbsup: Bruno@crp: the installer has an option to save the content of the DVD to HD so you have easy access of the files later . . . . . but it does need 5GB space B) . . . . I think that is what happened.It is easy to correct though :thumbsup:
Thanks Guys..Bruno I will await!!!crp you may be correct I did use ktorrent to Download several *isos and they are still there..jolphil

Thanks Guys..Bruno I will await!!!crp you may be correct I did use ktorrent to Download several *isos and they are still there..jolphil
One more thing.. I checked and I can use kwrite as su to do what needs to be done..jolphil

One more thing.. I checked and I can use kwrite as su to do what needs to be done..jolphil
I missed the rm xxxx part but just did it and we are back with KDE in all it's glory..jolphil

PS: Please post for later:
# cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

B) Bruno

Heres the cat....[joelaura@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost joelaura]# cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg{}plf-free http://ftp.cica.es/mirrors/Linux/plf/mandr...e/release/binary/i586 { hdlist key-ids: caba22ae media_info_dir: media_info update}plf-nonfree http://ftp.cica.es/mirrors/Linux/plf/mandr...non-free/release/binary/i586 { hdlist key-ids: caba22ae media_info_dir: media_info update}main ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linu...icial/2008.0/i586/media/main/release { hdlist key-ids: 70771ff3 media_info_dir: media_info}main_updates ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linu...inux/official/2008.0/i586/media/main/updates { hdlist key-ids: 22458a98 media_info_dir: media_info update}contrib ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linu...official/2008.0/i586/media/contrib/release { hdlist key-ids: 78d019f5 media_info_dir: media_info}contrib_updates ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linu...kelinux/officia l/2008.0/i586/media/contrib/updates { hdlist key-ids: 26752624 media_info_dir: media_info update}non-free ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linu...x/official/2008. 0/i586/media/non-free/release { hdlist key-ids: 70771ff3 media_info_dir: media_info}non-free_updates ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linu...akelinux/offici al/2008.0/i586/media/non-free/updates { hdlist key-ids: 26752624 media_info_dir: media_info update}[root@localhost joelaura]#jolphil