Coming Soon: Windows 10 Creators Update

Corrine

What has been referred to as Redstone2 or the Creators Update for Windows 10, Build 1703, is expected to be released next month. The rumored release date is April 11, although that has not been confirmed.

The articles below provide two different perspectives of what to expect in the update:

Get ready for the Windows 10 Creators Update

Windows 10 Creators Update: An overview of the new features and improvements on the way

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you dual boot Windows 10 and Linux you may get some grief from the update. Josh and I have been trying for two days to help someone whose grub bootloader was killed by the update. The normal methods to reinstall and update grub don't work.

I believe the update is messing with the partitions on the hard drive - but the only way we got it to work was to restore the Windows bootloader and forget about Linux.

If you're lucky maybe this won't happen to you.

If you dual boot Windows 10 and Linux you may get some grief from the update. Josh and I have been trying for two days to help someone whose grub bootloader was killed by the update. The normal methods to reinstall and update grub don't work.

I believe the update is messing with the partitions on the hard drive - but the only way we got it to work was to restore the Windows bootloader and forget about Linux.

If you're lucky maybe this won't happen to you.

i would love to hear if anyone who got notified by MSFT that the update was ready for them and had a GRUB bootloader how it goes.

For those who haven't updated yet and aren't dual--booting Windows & Linux: 12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1703).

In addition to disabling 3rd party A/V, I also recommend disabling anti-malware programs such as Malwarebytes or Emsisoft before updating.

Reminders:

After updating, check that System Restore is enabled. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System. Click "System Protection". If the C:\ drive is shown as "Off", click Configure and change the selection to "Turn on System Protection". Click Ok and close.

Confirm that antivirus and anti-malware programs are running.

• Like 2

I assume we get some sort of advance notice fhat the update is ready to install, and it doesn't just start installing before we can disable Malware Bytes and ESET.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2

Yes, absolutely. First, you'll have to verify the privacy settings. If you do that, within the day (or two), the update will be ready to install. It will show up in Windows Updates or, you may notice it when you go to shut down or put the device to sleep because you'll see "Install Updates and Restart" or "Install Updates and Shut Down". Note that you can click the "Ask me Later" option when asked to verify your privacy settings.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My laptop got updated this week with no issues. Didn't need to disable ESET. Got fair warning it was ready to do the deed. Took about 20 minutes after the reboot. It even updated BASH in Windows to kernel 4.4.0 and kept all my .bashrc settings intact.

• Like 3

My experience was the same as Peachy's, except for BASH which I've never heard of. Win10 Pro 64bit. Didn't get the new Creator's Update however.