Request for starting help..

JerryC

When Red Hat 5 was new, I purchased the CD and a "Linux approved" modem.. neither the vendor nor themanufacturer was able to help get it installed.. after months of bothering the Linux community, I gave up..I want to dual boot Linux.. I need a specific reccomendationas to what modem to purchase.. what version of Linuxto buy, AND someone who will guide me through the installation.. Currently dual booting a networked WinSE and XP Home..but know naught about Linux..

Hello JerryC and welcome to All Things Linux and you're in the right place for getting help.You asked many questions so I'll start you off :1.What Linux distro to choose?How to choose a distroWhat you eventually choose depends on your taste, for beginners Mandrake is a good place to begin in my opinion, but you'll find everybody will have their particular preference.2.Specific recommendation as to what modem to getBruno one of the forum moderators suggested this particular modem : Cendyne Modem just checked the link it's still in stock and at a great price.3.As far as getting help that 's not a problem here report back as soon as you're ready to proceed.This will get you started until more suggestions come in. B)

Welcome Jerry!I would recommend you get yourself an external modem and ease your pain. If you need to get an internal modem, make sure it's not a winmodem. However, winmodem's can be made to work in Linux. We have had a number of Highlanders post their reports and experiences with winmodems here. Help, is just a mouse click away! B) You may want to read some of our past modem threads:My Connexant modem problemsRH9, Can't find my modemWinmodems siteWhat about my modem?

It looks like you are in good hands. Ask away with your questions about distros and we will take it from there. Welcome aboard!Julia B)

Hi JerryA big welcome to the forum from me too :D !!The modem Johann recommended is a real good and cheap one, also computergeeks is a good site to place your order because they handle things of correctly.I just go a mail yesterday that another modem they used to have is back in stock now: Prime Peripherals 56K V.90 . . . . it is about the same price as the Cendyne Modem Johann posted B) . . So you even have a choice :DLet us know if you have additional questions . . . a lot did happen in Linux since RedHat 5 ./ . . you could even safely say that a whole revolution took place since then . . . and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised by the distros available today.I would recommend you order the new Mandrake 10.0 Official from a CD service, Johann might know a good address in the US . . . help on installation is available here on the forum-- no problem ! ;)B) Bruno

nlinecomputers

Mandrake is a good choice. A lot of new users find it easy to use. I still keep using it as I just find it's MCC tools to be some of the best designed. SuSE ranks a close second with YaST.

www.edmunds-enterprises.comthey have a fair to middlin's selection and some better than middlin' prices IMHO .... :D ;) also, welcome aboard .....

www.edmunds-enterprises.comthey have a fair to middlin's selection and some better than middlin' prices IMHO  ....  :w00t:  :w00t: also, welcome aboard .....
Nice I have added it to my collection of CD resellers. B)

Wow.. what great responses.. appreciate !OK.. the first of probably many dumb questions..Am I correct in assuming that the simplest approachwould be to discontinue my ISP's DSL service and obtain the recommended external modem for Linux ?

DSL? We all thought you meant dialup. Hmmm. Well, if you meant DSL, then the answer is a no, not necessarily. Most Linux distros will work with DSL "modems" (there are some threads with respect to that issue here, too.) However, if your distro of choice has trouble with the DSL, then I'd recommend a broadband router, instead.

nlinecomputers
Wow..  what great responses.. appreciate !OK..  the first of probably many dumb questions..Am I correct in assuming that the simplest approachwould be to discontinue my ISP's DSL service and obtain the recommended external modem for Linux ?
Uh one word NO!Dial up modems are a pain in the rear for Linux as most of them are Winmodems, software based modems designed for Windows. DSL modems are either connected with a network card or USB. Network cards are far easier to setup for DSL then USB is but depending on the modem both can be done. As Peachy said having a router is the best option as it makes it far easier to configure any workstation(windows, mac, or Linux) and you get protection in the form of a firewall.Don't drop DSL. You'll need it to download and burn other ISOs :lol:

If you have DSL, you don't need a modem. A modem is for a dial-up connection. I have yet to hear of a connection for an ISP that does not work with Linux!!!!Julia :lol:

Absolutely, go with DSL. Using a modem is just not as cost effective. Anyone thinking of getting a second line for a modem should just get DSL on the line they already have. The prices are right at the moment.Just make sure that you get an ethernet modem for your dsl. By the way, SBC made me buy my own ethernet card, but at least I was able to make sure I got one compatible with Linux. Of course, most of them are. I've heard that USB connections to DSL modems don't work well in Linux, if at all.

There is a little catch though with DSL . . . here in Europe many ISPs gave their ADSL customers an ADSL-USB modem . . . . . That one is very hard to configure under Linux . . . you need an Ethernet-Modem that connects to your Ethernet-card ( NIC ) . . . and with that it is dead easy to connect under linux, because then you only need a Linux compatible NIC . . and those are only $5 . . . . So If you have an USB modem ( Alcatel frog, or saucer are the most popular by ISPs ) you need another one . . . . . If you have a modem that connects to your LAN entry in the motherboard you are set to go !:D Bruno

Want to thank all for their efforts and conclude this thread..From previous efforts, knew I could multiple boot and install Linux.. but couldn't get past the modem..]After the initial post.. thought all I had to do was discontinueDSL.. obtain Mandrake and an external modem.. Then advised to keep DSL router.. which might or mightnot work with a given distro.. that I should get a broadband router (whatever that is).. etc.. (I can copya CD, but burning an "ISO" sounds downright cruel :)I am a geriatric.. live out in the sticks in a Linux ignorantenvirons.. woefully lacking in computer savvy.. just notworth the hassle..My compliments to this site and its dedicated contributors..You would have the average teen up and running in no time..One suggestion.. offer a neophyte an e-mail contact toassist in learning how to ask intelligent questions.. ?

nlinecomputers
Want to thank all for their efforts and conclude this thread..
You are welcome. Please don't give up yet. You are more able to do this then you give yourself credit.
After the initial post.. thought all I had to do was discontinueDSL.. obtain Mandrake and an external modem..
No one knew you had DSL so that is why you had all the posts about your modem. You made an assumption that you could only use a dial up modem and we made an assumption that all you had WAS dial up. So we both were wrong as we all know how to spell assume.
Then advised to keep DSL router.. which might or mightnot work with a given distro.. that I should get abroadband router (whatever that is).. etc.. (I can copya CD, but burning an "ISO" sounds downright cruel
Answer to that question is simple. Pick the dang DSL modem up and read us the brand and model number and you'll have an answer to that question. As to the ISO you making this harder then it is. :) If you have a CD-RW (which you must have as you say you copy CDs) then you have the software to burn an ISO. Do you use Nero or Roxio Easy CD-Creator? As to the router. Forget it. It is NOT required just an option.
I am a geriatric.. live out in the sticks in a Linux ignorantenvirons.. woefully lacking in computer savvy.. just notworth the hassle..
You can't be far out in the sticks if you have DSL. We were all ignorant of Linux at one time. We learn by doing. You sell yourself short. This is a pretty geeky group here, to find this forum would imply that you have some computer skills else you wouldn't have come here. You dual boot Windows. Who but geeks do that? I think you'll do just fine. I think you felt overwhelmed by the options we presented to you. Well you only got so many options because you failed to tell us what hardware you were running. So we are guessing and trying to let you know about every problem that could possibly happen. The more info about your setup we have then the more directed the information we can get back to you will be. As it is now we are just wild guessing and that is more harm to you then help.
My compliments to this site and its dedicated contributors..You would have the average teen up and running in no time..One suggestion.. offer a neophyte an e-mail contact toassist in learning how to ask intelligent questions.. ?
Again you sell yourself short. So far your questions have been very good. The only fault is that you made some assumptions that misdirected this thread. If you could post more information about the hardware you are running I think we can be far more help to you. We wouldn't pummel you with a billion options because we are guessing at your needs.

linuxdude32

Well said, Nathan :blink: We're not trying to blow you away with information, Jerry. We just get enthusiastic about helping and trip all over each other in the effort to be the first to help. :P Burning an ISO is much like burning a CD. The only difference is that you use an option in your CD-writing program that says to Burn CD from Image or something to that effect. Once you've done it a couple of times it'll be old hat to you.By the way, regarding age, most of the members of the Kawartha Computer Club (the other user group I'm president of) are over 50, several are over 60. Even back when we had 300+ members about five years ago, most were seniors. It was rare to ever see anybody my age (I'm 33 now). If you can use Windows, you can learn how to use Linux, all it takes is willingness, and it looks like you have that. Don't give up! :)

Hmmm. I don't know how you define geriatric. To me it is a tate of mind. The oldest I am aware of in this part of the forum is about 70. Stick around for a while. Let's start over.1. You are on DSL?2. Do you live in the US, Europe, or elsewhere?3. Does your computer connect directly to the box from the DSL company? 4. If not, what is the model of the box it goes through?5. What do you use to make CDs?6. Do you know which version of Linux you want to use?With this basic information we can get you started. If you are uncomfortable making CDs you can pick up books or magazines in bookstores that have CDs included with the software or youcan go to places like httP://www.distrowatch.com and check out any of the links for places to order CDs cheaply. Also in the tips is a list of places to order CDs. Do you know how much free space you have on your computer?By the way, one year ago today was the first time I booted into Linux on a computer. It took me quite a while to figure out everything as I did not know what I was talking about. the folks here helped me out and now I know a little bit. Above all, don't give up.Julia :blink:

nlinecomputers

Julia,It's only been a year? You've picked up quite a bit in a year. As I'm sure Julia will confirm Linux appears very hard a first but once you get the hang of it you'll find that it's quite logical and well designed. It just different but it is easier to pickup then if first appears.