5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

Most of the time, I use the exit command to close a virtual terminal emulator window. Any reason not to use the "close" button instead? I mean, if there's no command still running. Hm, or Ctrl+D is another way to do it, looks like.

Edit: Dang it, I mean to type "terminal emulator." Possible to change the title of this thread?

Edited by saturnian, 12 July 2018 - 08:19 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:29 AM

I use the sudo -i command to get root access for updates and dist-upgrades. If I use the close button in root I get static about processes still running, whereas if I exit from the command line I do not. So I usually just exit.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#3 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

I think I'll just start using Ctrl+D instead of typing exit or using the "close" button.

https://unix.stackex...-or-using-ctrld

Edited by saturnian, 12 July 2018 - 12:29 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:33 PM

Please, can the word "virtual" be replaced with "terminal" in the title?

#5 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:55 PM

Doesn't really matter which you use. I do Ctrl-D if my hands are on the keyboard, Close button if on the mouse (if there's a process running, a box will pop up and just select Close Anyway).
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#6 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:57 AM

Thanks for the replies, folks. I didn't do a very good job with web searches at first but I get the picture now, I think. I've been using "exit" almost all the time for so long without even thinking much about it.

Lol, the reason I even thought about how often I was using "exit" was because a few weeks ago I stumbled upon one of those commands for showing a list of which commands I use most frequently. Can't recall where I saw that originally but it was like some of the commands shown here: https://askubuntu.co...nds-in-terminal

And, exit has been my most frequently used command! That's what got me wondering...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users