Back Up Power Supplies

teacher

As I awoke this morning to the alternate alarm clock(it was only 5:00 a.m.) - the one of my back up power supply going crazy, I had time to ponder about my power supply and the identical one that burned up without apparant reason.We are now in Nor' Easter season here - the time of power outages such as we had this morning with power flicking on and off every minute or so. I am wondering, what is best to do in situations of unstable power - should I just power down everything including the back-up power, or should I just power down the computer and let things be. Yesterday in the 80 MPH winds, I just shut down the computers but did not think about the power supply.Along the same lines, I am using an APC 500 VA. It's twin on my daughter's computer croaked without giving reason or cause last summer. Of course, it came out of the clearance bargin bin. Is there something out there that is more reliable and reasonable? When the other one croacked I went to the web site and looked at the warrantee info since it was less than 3 months old. The price to trade in was more than the cost of a new one. :rolleyes: Long story short (you know we are paid to talk when we are teachers and it takes a bell to shut us up): What is the best way to extend the life of your back-up power supply and what do you recommend as best for home use?Ne'er mind that the best thing is to get back to the mainland and away from the impact of ocean-side living......

Guest LilBambi

RE: UPSs - Tripp Lite and APC are the best ones I believe. But ...Being off the mainland, have you considered a inverter generator to back up your backup? The cool thing is that you can use it for other things like making drip coffee, refrigeration, and cooking, selectively of course :rolleyes: Such as the following:http://www.cycleoutfitter.com/honeu1gen.htmlhttp://www.cycleoutfitter.com/honeu2ingen.htmlhttp://www.independent-power.com/gen_yamaha.htm

Edited by LilBambi

Guest ComputerBob

As usual, I agree with LilBambi. :rolleyes: I've been using a CyberPower UPS for the past 4 years or so, and the hardware hasn't given me any problems at all. However, I used 3 different versions of the CyberPower monitorinig software in the past, but all of them were flakey, sometimes displaying the control panel but oftentimes displaying garbage instead. I finally gave up using the software at all, and instead use the hardware without any monitoring or shut-down features.If I were buying a new UPS today, I'd look for a Tripp Lite or an APC.

Guest ComputerBob
ComputerBob --:)I edited my post, forgot Tripp Lite had an extra p in their name and glad you posted the websites too  :(
We make a good team. Gimme a high five! :rolleyes:

I had always thought APC was pretty good but after having one die without reason.....Power has been pretty stable the last few years but the last two days have been an exception. It makes it interesting going to work with every other traffic light out. At least I did not get stuck on a bridge for over an hour today. I have never installed the software because it seemed like another opportunity for something to go wrong...... I look at the disc every so often and then think, nope why mess with it. Don't think we need generators yet. At least they have buried all the lines. Some expensive options there. :rolleyes: Hope my current one will hold up a while. I guess I will have to watch out for a bargain since I have my husband's computer hooked into it too. Appreciate the input.

I use Tripp Lite & APC. I have 4 Tripp Lites running in the computer room and have had no problems - AFTER I gave up on the monitoring software! It never worked right.We have a lot of small, short duration, power outages as well as spikes here where I live. You know how you can hear the power supply "click" when it regulates the spikes or dips? Well, my computer room sounds like nighttime in a cricket-filled woods sometimes!I have all 6 computers and monitors hooked up, as well as my wireless AP, an 8 port switch, my wireless phone, and (Don't tell anyone!) one laser printer hooked up to it's own 1000VA APC... Has worked fine. Of course, I don't push it - it is primarily used as a power conditioner so I don't burn up my $1000 printer with fluctuations.These things DO produce some heat tho! Combine the 5 UPS's with 4 CRT's and 6 CPU's and you get some inpressive BTU's! (I LOVE Acronyms!)d|:^)Dick

Guest LilBambi

teacher --You might even want to check out replacement batteries for your APC. They might be less expensive than buying a new one if their prices have gone back up. They sell APC batteries separately at here at Battery.comDon't know what the exact pricing is right now for new APC UPS for comparison, but you might want to compare places like buy.com or pricewatch.com.

Guest LilBambi
Count me as a third, LilComputerBambiBob. I like Tripp and APC myself. Never have had a problem with them.
Stryder --I had a feeling you might agree as well. :blink:

Anyone has any experience with Energizer UPS's?http://www.energizerups.com/There are some nice and cheap ones I can buy in Futureshop here in Canada and they range from 99 to 420 bucks (Canadian).They also look very nice.It would be nice to know if they work ok or not before I decide to plunge :)Thanks.

Guest ComputerBob
Anyone has any experience with Energizer UPS's?http://www.energizerups.com/
I haven't used one, but Technuity is the name of the company that builds them, and they license the "Energizer" brand name from Eveready. I did several Google searches for various combinations of "Energizer, Technuity, UPS, Review" but I couldn't find any reviews of them, maybe because they've only been on the market a few months. Here's a little more information:http://www.ehonline.com/archives/HaTuningI...chiveNov02.html