MAPPED NETWORK DRIVES WITH NO LETTERS

blin

Some one asked me the follwoing question. Who has the answer?REF: MAPPED NETWORK DRIVES WITH NO LETTERS!! I have come across 2 cases in the last month when I have seen mapped drives on networks with NO letter(ie H: K: etc). The mapped drives just refer to ' My docs(James pc)' etc When I have gone to disconnect the Mapped drives in Explorer - non are listed - but i can see them in the listed network directory ! They are there mapped everytime the PC is switched on I know you can use DOS and a file to map on boot using NET USE - but I can find no trace of this file! Is this a Novell person at work in a microsoft world? How do you map adrive(without) assigning a letter - (in the registry ??) - And if by running a file what commands are used?

I have seen mapped drives on networks
What make you think they were "mapped"?In Windows XP and even Windows 98 one has access to networked drives and folders without assigning them a drive letter. Mapping use to be a DOS requirement but is not necessary in Windows. Click on Start>Programs>Accessories>WINDOWS Explorer. In the left side Folder window scroll down to Network Places, click on the "+" to expand the list of shared folders. Position the mouse over a folder, hold down the LEFT mouse button and drag the folder name to the desktop. Release mouse button. You now have an icon on the desktop associated with that networked folder. No mapping needed.hth :blink:

Thank you for all posting. Find the answer. quoted form http://www.chicagotech.net/How to use subst to map a virtual drive1. You can use subst to map a virtual drive like mapping local c as z.2. subst syntax: subst drive1: drive2:\path, for example, subst z: b:\apps or subst z: \server\shared3. Subst command display the name of the virtual drives in effect.4. To delete the virtual drive, use subst drive1 /d forexample, subst z: /d

When I posted this question here, I also posted it on Microsoft MVP newsgroup. Many MS MVPs respoinded to this post and helped me to find the answer. As always, I did my research and published the tipes on my web. here are two of the postings on ms mvp newgroup.quoted one from ms mvp: "I know that substed drives show up as "Disconnected Network Drive" without a letter after a hibernate. That is probably not related, but you could ask for a subst output (which will show the drive letter) next time, just to sure."Quoted two: "If you map a drive by using the Add Network Place wizard in My NetworkPlaces, it does not have a drive letter attached. Where the drive letterusually appears, ir says (none). And it persists after a reboot."good day!

Personally I don't understand a lot of this thread. For example:

I have seen mapped drives on networks with NO letter
Yet no reference to what OS or HOW the "mapped drives" were "seen". With a description of " The mapped drives just refer to ' My docs(James pc)' etc" they sound like desktop icons to which a simple drag and drop of a network folder creates it with Windows. And a simple RIGHT click on it brings up the menu with the Delete option to remove it from the desktop. The same goes for an icon in the My Network Places directory, I just did it on an XP machine.
Find the answer. quoted form http://www.chicagotech.net/
A visit to this link doesn't bring up anything about mapped drives that I saw when I went there.I also don't understand why anyone, in a Windows world, would want to use DOS commands to map a drive that can be done via the GUI. If the owners of the machines that had the "mapped" drives don't know how they "mapped" them then the connected network folders were probably created by the installation of software apps and/or by network administrators. It seems that the question could have been directed to the latter for a reason and explanation.It's probably just me, I get confused easily. :thumbsup: