Foresight Lxde

tforsman

Hello all,

Been fixing Lxde for Foresight and wanted to let you guys know that it's on it way.

Here is some screenshot and information: http://www.foresightlinux.se/wiki-en/index.php?title=Lxde

Latest screenshot:

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2825/lxdenew.png

Probably not the lightest Lxde out there, but one of the most completed lxde out there. Waiting to get some iso for Lxde, hoping to get some in near future.

This screenshot is little different from wiki page, this one has the upcoming theme that will be used in Lxde.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, but it's about the ONLY non browser or online sycing type of password manager availabe cross platform.

Makes it well worth checking out, non?

Yes, but it's about the ONLY non browser or online sycing type of password manager availabe cross platform.

Makes it well worth checking out, non?

Will look into it :)

Might fit in to Lxde, would be nice to let users to save the passwords they usually forget all the time :rolleyes:

Guest LilBambi

Cool! Although it is not just a place to save passwords. It also generates secure passwords with your specifications and can be done through random data generation as well.

Plus gives you the ability as with any password manager to not just remember passwords you have and might forget, but to create passwords that are difficult to remember and set a master password on the whole database.

Plus, unlike some password managers it can actually remember things that are not necessarily usernames/password pairs; such as software keys, website information that you need to remember, etc. in the database.

Anyway, no password keeper/password generator is perfect, but being open source and cross platform, certainly makes things more handy and secure across platforms.

Plus you can back up the database and key to a USB drive or even a CD if you don't have to change it often, to use from any computer.

Guest LilBambi

Oh, and one of the best things of course about open source and security:

As a cryptography and computer security expert, I have never understood the current fuss about the open source software movement. In the cryptography world, we consider open source necessary for good security; we have for decades. Public security is always more secure than proprietary security. It's true for cryptographic algorithms, security protocols, and security source code. For us, open source isn't just a business model; it's smart engineering practice.

Bruce Schneier, Crypto-Gram 1999/09/15

BTW: The Schneier Crypto-Gram noted above is a great read. Bruce Schneier is great!

That quote was on the bottom of the home page for KeyPass Password Safe homepage.

• 1 month later...

• Enabled increase/decrease sound as default. (enabled hotkeys)
  • Enabled mute button as default. (enabled hotkey)
  • Enabled PrtSc (printscreen) button to take a picture of current desktop.
  • Changed from spacefm to pcmanfm, works alot better and less buggy.
  • Added lxde-desktop-preferences as menu entry, to be able to easily change background and other settings. (Picture)
  • Fixed picture for "run" command.

Probably abit more, but these was in my mind for the moment.

securitybreach

Excellent stuff Tomas!!! :thumbup:

I think I may try foresight again and see if this time I can get X to work. I forgot about using nomodeset last time I tried it out. I think I will download the iso right now and play with it tonight or tomorrow. Keep up the great work :thumbsup:

As far as keepass, I may have to take another look at it as I have way too many passwords already. Luckily I can remember them all but it sounds like keepass may be worth using. B)

Didn't like keepass, was a QT application and will demand some qt stuff to be installed. But did try it and see if it was easy to add as default, but unfortanly not. (bad spelling)

@Securitybreach, i recommend fl:2-devel iso. So you can easily get all the newest stuff. As you probably want to try the newest and nicest stuff.

Also we hope to get some fresh iso soon, but takes awhile though. As we need to move from Rbuilder online to a own place to be able to make the iso, it's in progress...

Guest LilBambi

Now that's just tragic. The ONLY stand alone application for password generation AND saving, that's open source and cross platform.

I wish they had gone another direction. Or someone would write one that is cross platform without having to use Mono and QT. But they haven't so ... oh well. I will have to install whatever I need in Linux to make it work. Since it works great in Windows and on the Mac.

I don't use browsers for that sort of thing or the cloud. I want my passwords locally only and able to be used across all three major OSes that I use.

Oh, well...thanks for trying Tomas.

I might consider to add Revelation as default in LXDE though :shifty:

Remember, we have keepassx in foresight though. So its installable from a FL system.

Revelation looks and feels good, someone tested it for a longer time?

Guest LilBambi

I am watching Revelation over at Github and checked out their imports and they aren't importing KeyPass yet at least that I could find.

The only place I found that mentions imports is the file that lists the change log:

- add import/export of GPasMan files

- add import/export of zsafe files

- add import/export of gnukeyring files

- add import/export of web confidential files

- add import/export from browser (firefox, mozilla, epiphany, galeon)

I will keep an eye on it. Biggest problem I would have is I need to be able to go between the other OSes and right now it doesn't import what I have, and isn't cross platform. Maybe that's coming though.

That's great that KeyPass is in Foresight Linux even if you are not using it.

Some updates

• lxsession-edit in as default, possible to edit whats starts with the system (picture)
  • pcmanfm has "create shortcut" on rightclick now. (picture), not perfectly yet, but its a hack to make it work. using ubuntu patch.
  • lxshortcut added as default, to make pcmanfm happy with new feature.

securitybreach

Well I did not have a chance to play around the other day but I now have the 2.5.2 Gnome Dev version burned sitting on my keyboard. When I get home from work later tonight, I plan on playing around with it. If I can X working (got a couple of things to try), I will be installing it on an extra partition I have. B)

• Like 1

Well I did not have a chance to play around the other day but I now have the 2.5.2 Gnome Dev version burned sitting on my keyboard. When I get home from work later tonight, I plan on playing around with it. If I can X working (got a couple of things to try), I will be installing it on an extra partition I have. B)

Let's hope you can get it work this time. There are always workarounds :thumbsup: can even use foresight dvd and chroot and install fglrx or nvidia (if needed)

Some changes in Lxde:

• Removed xfburn
  • Added Simple burn (1.6.4)

This will also remove libexo and xterm desktop entry that xfce stuff pulls in from xfburn automatically. Little smaller lxde but same features.

securitybreach

Well I have it up and running after installing the ATI drivers: http://wiki.foresigh...n Foresight 2.x and using nomodeset when booting the dvd.

I keep getting an error saying the kernel crashed and also an error stating something like: "Not enough resources on video card" when I try to enable the third monitor. I know that this is not the case as I have 1gb of video memory. So there are some kinks that need to worked out but I do have it up and running with X. B)

About "Not enough resources on video card", That's fglrx issue. Not sure yet what causing it. Probably we don't have anyone that used 3 monitors with FL and ati card. Need to get hold of dev of ati and see what he knows. About kernel crashed, that's interesting. Can you provide more info or crash report or similar? And how you installed/setup FL, if its in vmware or "normal" installation.....

securitybreach

About "Not enough resources on video card", That's fglrx issue. Not sure yet what causing it. Probably we don't have anyone that used 3 monitors with FL and ati card. Need to get hold of dev of ati and see what he knows. About kernel crashed, that's interesting. Can you provide more info or crash report or similar? And how you installed/setup FL, if its in vmware or "normal" installation.....

This was a normal installation. I will have to reboot into FS to get the exact kernel message.

securitybreach

Well this time all of the monitors worked and I got a notification about a kernel issue but no detailed report:

mYOvA.png

Where would I get the detailed report?

Sometimes you can see detailed issue, if you don't push always send.

Do: conary q kernel

To see which kernel you are using.

securitybreach

Sometimes you can see detailed issue, if you don't push always send.

Do: conary q kernel

To see which kernel you are using.

[comhack@Cerberus ~]$ conary q kernel
kernel=3.1.4-1-1

securitybreach

aha, was hoping to see 3.2.17-2-1 or similar.

do: sudo conary updateall

I was already running updateall and I am waiting on it to finish....

securitybreach

Well I rebooted and the video seems fine. I still got the kernel report message but other than that, all seems well. B)

Great about video issue, need to see if there is any reports that are saved as temp or something. Will get back to you about that. As would be nice to see whats failing, if there is any hardware that kernel gets a tiny berserk or something.

securitybreach

Great about video issue, need to see if there is any reports that are saved as temp or something. Will get back to you about that. As would be nice to see whats failing, if there is any hardware that kernel gets a tiny berserk or something.

Agreed!! Just let me know what configs or logs you need to look at. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Kernel report issue should be gone today. Possible to copy issue. (if you still have foresight laying somewhere)

Some news in lxde:

• Added: lxkb-config, configure keyboard layout and locale
  • Added: clipit, clipboard application.
  • Added: Desktop session menu entry, possible to easily to enable and disable applications that start with your system.
  • Added: Default session file for spacefm, to setup most common settings for you. Will be used first time, then it will change to local setting.
  • Deleted: pcmanfm, not needed anymore. Using Spacefm.
  • Deleted: Some xfce deps, to make the os smaller and remove uneeded packages.
  • Fixed: all gksu commands in spacefm.