Influx by Daniel Suarez

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

20746474.jpg

Influx by Daniel Suarez

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Daniel Suarez out-did himself with Influx! What an amazing story. It has so many elements of science fiction and science fact, as well as science probable! The story is very intricate and the characters are very well developed.

I don’t want to give away too much but suffice it to say that people (including our hero, Jon Grady) who have invented or discovered disruptive scientific technologies are disappearing and or being killed by a group of religious nuts who are apparently killing people brilliant people who are on the cusp of a major breakthrough in technology around the world. There is also a secret governmental organization created in the 50s/60s that has something to do with all of this as well.

I totally enjoyed this book! It's long, but it is very well written and hard to put down!

Thanks so much Daniel Suarez! I hope you have your hands in the making of the movie so they do it well. I can’t wait to see it!

I listened to the audiobook version of this book from Audible and it is well worth getting!

Written by: Daniel Suarez

Narrated by: Jeff Gurner

Length: 13 hrs and 45 mins

Format: Unabridged

Release Date:02-20-14

Publisher: Penguin Audio

Program Type: Audiobook

View all my reviews

Also available from Amazon here.

• Hardcover: 416 pages
  • Publisher: Dutton Adult (February 20, 2014)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0525953183
  • ISBN-13: 978-0525953180

INFLUX_web_sm.jpg

Influx by Daniel Suarez -- click image to go to his website

May also like to visit

Daniel Suarez' website here where Daniel Suarez has the following to say about the book:

What if human civilization is more advanced than you know?

In his latest SciFi thriller New York Times Bestselling author, Daniel Suarez, depicts a world where the future has already happened...

Imagine that scientists and researchers have already achieved major technological breakthroughs that could transform billions of lives -- but they've done so in a world where the open exchange of ideas is viewed as dangerous and major technological advances are carefully managed. All to prevent the social disruption that radically new technologies bring ... ..

"The characters (even the not-strictly-human ones) are vivid, the pacing is perfect, the villain is capital-E evil, and the author's near-future world is so well developed that you completely buy even his wildest speculations. A magnificent tour de force. "

Booklist on Influx (starred review)

"Suarez once again mixes science and fiction perfectly."

Publishers Weekly on Influx (starred review)

Enjoy!

From MyPassionIsBooks Blog

Thanks! I RT'ed the Twitter link to your review to a friend I had recommended Daemon to. She recently commented that she had finally finished it and enjoyed it a lot.

V.T. Eric Layton

I'll have to try this new book. Sadly, I couldn't get 50 pages into Daemon. It just wasn't clicking for me at that time.

I'll have to try this new book. Sadly, I couldn't get 50 pages into Daemon. It just wasn't clicking for me at that time.

Influx starts quite a bit faster. Daemon takes its time spooling up to top speed. ;)

Adam

Guest LilBambi

I got it on April 19th and finished it April 21st! (on my goodreads profile). I listened driving, I listened install and updating a Linux installation and updates, doing dishes, while eating lunch, falling asleep, etc. I couldn't put the book down! If I got 'called away', I backed it up so I didn't miss anything!

Thanks for the RT Corrine! Like Adam, I gave it my highest recommendation! 5/5 Stars at goodreads.com.

Daniel Suarez has an amazing mind and imagination!

Guest LilBambi

If you enjoy techno thrillers, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, I think you will love it as much as I did.

Thanks, will check out the Episode #171 for sure!

I love that podcast!

• 1 month later...

The local library didn't have a copy of Influx so I got it through inter-library loan. Although properly labeled as science fiction, I thought it was interesting that it was stamped as from the "Literature Division" of the central branch of our county's library system. I only managed to get through two chapters Tuesday night because I was too tired to keep my eyes open. Finished the last three chapters this morning. It was as good as your review promised, Fran. :thumbs:

Guest LilBambi

Awesome! So glad you enjoyed it as much as i did, Corrine and that it lived up to the expectations in the review! :blush:

I certainly loved the book!

I really love Daniel Suarez' books....a lot!

Cluttermagnet

This looks like it would be worth a read.

Imagine that scientists and researchers have already achieved major technological breakthroughs that could transform billions of lives -- but they've done so in a world where the open exchange of ideas is viewed as dangerous and major technological advances are carefully managed. All to prevent the social disruption that radically new technologies bring ...

Yep, I've had my suspicions for some time now. Just too many discontinuities in our collective history, no matter from what angle you come at it. Some of this is encoded in the world's religions- their narratives hint at very different worlds beyond the mental grasp of our predecessors. "Nightfall" by Arthur C. Clark gives perhaps a little snapshot of where we are presently...

You people are soooo superstitious... it's just this little chromium switch...

(Paraphrased from Firesign Theatre)

:whistling:

• 2 months later...

Daniel is one of my California friends and I've been on his advanced copy list for several years, ever since I told him I found, read and loved his first self-published book, Daemon. (He sent me an advance copy of Influx for my birthday...he's that kind of friend.) He really is an outstanding author and fascinating guy. I recommend all of books without reservation, provided you enjoy tech, thrillers and a bit of sci-fi.