Windows 8 - New HP Laptop - Remove Norton - Control Panel vanishes

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

A brand new HP Intel Core i5 laptop with 6GB RAM I think it was. It came with a trial of Norton Internet Security that was never activated.

Went to uninstall it from Uninstall Programs in the Control Panel here:

9-4-2012-10-57-04-AM.png

See on right: Settings, Desktop, Control Panel, Personalization, PC info, Help.

After uninstalling Norton, it looks closer to this:

Win8-Settings.png

Now, that I see them both together I think I know what was happening.

It looks like you get a totally different set of Settings links when you are on the Desktop than what you see when you are on the Start 'page'.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or was this really something weird that happened from uninstalling Norton LOL!

Hello,

On my home-built desktop PC running Windows 8 Pro, the Settings screens are the same when I access them from either the Desktop or the Start Screen by pressing Winkey+C on the keyboard. Maybe the system needs to be rebooted via a "shutdown /r" command for the changes made by the Norton uninstaller to take effect?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Guest LilBambi

The computer has been all setup. There should be a way to restore that without restoring the system.

Does Microsoft ONLY have restore as the way to fix something like this?! If so, thanks Norton for nothing!

Is Windows 8 that unstable, that you can't uninstall an internet security suite without breaking it!?!

Guest LilBambi

If there was a time before Norton, it was before the beginning. This was a new computer and Norton Internet Security came on the computer....sigh...

Guest LilBambi

We have done alternative solution with a Control Panel link on the 'Desktop' can check on that too if it turns out that it truly is missing.

I want to see if it is different between 'Desktop' and 'Start' first. Just to be sure.

Guest LilBambi

You are right Rocky. It was never activated, so it should not have had it's hooks in at all until you allowed it. But there it is...I could look into that if there are no other alternatives or I see that the control panel is still missing in one or both places shown earlier.

I will be going to their house to work on getting their new wireless router for Verizon DSL set up, so I will look at that sometime next week when I go to take care of that.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks John, I wondered about that. It's a true catch 22 for a user that doesn't want to use Norton at all, much less activate it and then uninstall it. Sigh...

I will try the Norton Removal Tool and see if it restore functionality in that menu that is supposed to include Control Panel.

Hello,

Here's a little tid-bit I've been using for the last decade or so: The URL http://www.symantec.com/symnrt redirects you to the latest page for the Symantec Norton Removal Tool, which has had several locations over the years as Symantec has upgraded their knowledgebase system.

My guess it that it was created for their tech support folks, in order to make it easier to do uninstalls over the phone.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

Guest LilBambi

OK, on Friday, I went for the appt and guess what. It does present an entirely different menu when you go to the upper right hand corner when on the Start and on the Desktop.

The one on the Desktop still has the Control Panel.

Weird.

So, apparently this is a bug, errr, feature. ;)