The future of the web; your thoughts

Jeber

I'm always reading about the "future" of Windows OS's, personal computing, blogs, <insert your nomination here>...but I wonder; What do you all think the future internet will look like. What would your "perfect web" offer, look like, consist of? Do you think multiple internets are going to become a reality? Will dial-up ever be properly replaced? Will spam and fraud destroy the internet as we now know it? What do you think is going to happen to this (no-)place we all call home? :blink:

Guest ThunderRiver

As time progress, I would expect that a new generation of computing will put the existing platform into computer museum. Computer mouse would be a joke by then. In fact, Tablet is one **** of an initiative on this one.The internal speed would definitely go up. from 32 bit to 64 bit and then 128 bit and then 256 bit.. and so on.. and dial up will of course be replaced, and in fact, most devices will be wireless. Smart house, smart kitchen-ware..will be reality.Internet search engine will be AI operated, and you don't type.. you talk to AI, and just like what you see in Star Trek. Recently, I ran across with an arcticle from Slashdot that mentions that a company has successfully turned a monitor into a speaker without any image disturbance. Well, if they can turn it into a speaker..they should eventually be able to turn it into a mic as well :)What a great future lays ahead...

Hardware, will no doubt, evolve beyond even our present ability to predict. Nano-bots, bubble memory, many yet-to-be-fully-exploited technologies will affect the cosumer dramatically.But the future of the internet, I believe, will evolve more slowly. And each change will be a major event. But will it evolve into something even more democratic and open, or more commercial and mundane? Will the changes benefit business, home users or the government more? Thoughts??

You are absolutely right...you never should ahve opened this up (and I'm sooo hapy that you did).What the WWW will look like will be somewhat dependent on what the world looks like, so it's tough to know. I mean, will the world look like Star Trek, or The Omega Man?We are all Neandrethal at this time, and when someone finds one of our hard drives in the future, they are going to be amazed either by our freedoms, or our syupidity, or perhaps, both.Will the WWW break down geographic boundaries, or reinforce them. Our current march towards internet sales tax is just a baby step towards that answer.Will the WWW bring us together (eg "Where's Raed"), or tear us apart.Can the human mind handle too much information...how will we cope?If more than one web evolves, I will bet the house on it being in the name of segregation. Will our browsers have translaters, or segregationist firewalls? Will we support any society's attempts to isolate their populace, or will we diligently seek a way around whatever they do?You see, the internet is in no way a technological issue, but rather a relationship issue. Like THE BOMB, internets are relatively easy to build (witness AOL). Will it be subject to "cold wars", embargos, trade accords, etc, etc, or will we resist the "big brother" server?Star Trek, or Star Wars?You asked, man, and in your credit, you realized what you asked...just too late. More power to the guy who asked it.

Oh, by the way, when does hardware become software? Bubble memory, et al, becomes NOTHING WHEN BIOLOGICAL MEMORY ARRIVES. The really serious work started in the 90's, and the technology is not far fetched. Forget Intel...Biomem (made-up name) is the future. Of course, you will have to feed your computer, but when you do, it might thank you.WW IV...we eliminate the ability of the enemy to feed their computers, and their society crashes and burns. No shots fired. :) :) Hey! You started this!

jbredmound, your points are excellent, and exactly the kind of considerations that caused me to post this question. The internet has become so ingrained in many cultures that changes to the net affect society, and changes in society are reflected on the web. I'm not looking for answers here, I'd like to read everybody's opinions, hopes, fears, scenarios of doom and gloom, the net as saviour of mankind, etc.

How's the WWW going to change? Fast, very fast. Its hard to watch a tree grow...but two years later and all of a sudden its six feet taller with branches you hadn't noticed before. And from every branch are multiple limbs from the limbs twigs and leaves. Each of these are growing on their own. It can't be long before we have internet comedy shows, Internet public broadcasting, and half a dozen other applications which I haven't the imagination to conceive. But the one thing I do know, it will be spectacular to watch it mature.

Guest ComputerBob

I think that hardware will eventually become internal to the human body. A wireless transceiver connected directly to the old neural network. Cell phone, Internet, etc. will all be instantly accessible through the normal thought process. Students will access the Library of Congress as though it were part of their own memory. You'll be able to rent or buy memories of having been other places that you've never been, and having seen or done things that you've never seen or done.The possibility raises many huge ethical questions that probably won't be answered until long after the technologies have been developed.

Guest ComputerBob
Oh, by the way, when does hardware become software?  Bubble memory, et al, becomes NOTHING WHEN BIOLOGICAL MEMORY ARRIVES. The really serious work started in the 90's, and the technology is not far fetched. Forget Intel...Biomem (made-up name) is the future. Of course, you will have to feed your computer, but when you do, it might thank you.WW IV...we eliminate the ability of the enemy to feed their computers, and their society crashes and burns. No shots fired.  ;)  ;) Hey! You started this!
And one of your co-workers has a bad cold, sprays some Lysol around his cubicle, and takes down the entire department's network along with everyone's files. :)

Guest LilBambi

Yes, you are all onto something here! Great question, Jeber ... took me a while to get some braincells lined up for talking about it ... I just hope it makes some sort of sense to someone else :D "Change is inevitable, growth is optional" ... how true!(I love seeing that quote in a signature floating around this forum.)That statement is very true about human beings .. but you even see it in the evolution of technologies such as the Internet and genetics, mainly because they are be so influenced by human behavior and decisions, like some sort of extension of humans...good, bad or indifferent.I kinda think of technologies such as the Internet and Genetics in similar ways mainly because they can be pushed, pulled, shaped and altered by human intervention and innovation.My two favorite quotes from Jurassic Park were made by Dr. Malcolm. They really struck me when I saw the movie and appear to be relevant in discussions about where we are going in any facet of technology today.

"The scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."
"The lack of humility before nature that is displayed here, staggers me."
Deep thoughts for a monster movie some would say, but then it was directed by Steven Spielberg :D Malcolm was of course talking about the irreverent wielding of (and capitalizing upon) a newly acquired, and then built upon, level of genetic knowledge ... like it was some newly created child's toy for their amusement. Thinking they somehow had enough intelligence to mock nature who had made its decision long ago in the matter (regarding the dinosaurs).Ha! Like we never see that kind of thinking in reality, right?The Internet appears like it is being torn in so many directions by so many people for so many reasons (and all too many reasons are totally greed motivated). I sometimes wonder if the Internet might not end up being destroyed before it even has a chance to make it's real contribution, whenever or whatever that might be.All I know is that in my mind's imagination, the Internet is no where near its full potential....and I don't think it ever will meet that potential until greed stops rearing its ugly head and taking control of every new technology and innovation man can conceive.The great men who started this technology many years ago had selfless forward-thinking that is so often lost in the fast-paced, instant gratification of the shake and bake world we seem to live in today.I even see this terrible rot and greed beginning to creep into the Linux community and it really saddens me.Hey, you asked! :D

Gonna change gears here - I fear more and more government restrictions as the internet progresses. The more gov. we have in the internet the worse it will be.I am in all favor of internet voting - probably get a better voter turn out. The power of the internets capabilities is endless.

Guest ComputerBob
...I am in all favor of internet voting - probably get a better voter turn out...
I am against Internet voting, for security reasons. But, even if there were no security issues involved, I am against making it easier to vote than it already is. When I think about all the politically uninformed people that I know who currently have no interest in voting, I have no desire to make it even easier for them to influence the future of government. ;) In many places in the US, people can register to vote right at the polls, right on election day, and companies are required to give workers X hours off of work, to enable them to go and vote. In fact, election day registration of 18-21 year old college students played a big part in one state electing a blatantly self-promoting, self-serving, ex-professional wrestler as its governor a few years ago. Unfortunately, those student voters hadn't bothered to look past the man's cool, populist image and learn that one of the first things on the new governor's agenda was to drastically cut funding to higher education and financial aid, and to continue cutting it further, every year of his 4-year term. ;) IMHO, the higher the voter turnout, the higher the percentage of politically uninformed voters and ex-professional wrestlers elected to positions of political power. ;)Given a choice between two theories, take the one which is funnier.

I already enjoy all the hussle of todays technology.Call me crazy but that is the case :)However, hardware embedded in our bodies and connected with neural system, maybe in a sci-fi movie.I don't see it progress that far as it would be too far maybe.As it is I am scared of all kinds of stuff.As long as I can unplug my computer and video and tv, etc.. and disconnect myself entirely from the outside world to get some rest, it's all fine.So I imagine, future generations will have that same in their genes unless entire human kind becomes genetically modified.We started with genetically modified food and slowly going over to animals.Next natural step is human being, Rael anyone?

Voting is easy for people?? Holy ComputerBob look at what happened in Florida - they all ended selecting the wrong person and making the whole election screwed up. I feel internet voting without worries of security would also bring out more politically educated people. I doubt it will ever happen due to security but still a great thought.As far as MN electing Jesse - ya got to understand MN on that one. It could of been avoided but nobody gives a D*** about voting and that is a major issue that should be addressed. I get a kick out of people walking around complaining about Government, but never vote on a single thing - I always vote that gives me the right to complain :lol:

Guest ComputerBob
Voting is easy for people??  Holy ComputerBob look at what happened in Florida - they all ended selecting the wrong person and making the whole election screwed up.
I think you misunderstood what I meant when I wrote that I don't want to make it easier to vote than it already is. There are many, many countries in which thousands of people have to walk for miles and stand in lines for hours, just to be able to cast a vote. Nobody in the U.S. has to do any of that. It is really easy for anyone who cares enough to vote, to vote. In fact, it's even really easy for anyone who doesn't care enough to even know anything about the issues or the candidates to vote. If some voters, after receiving telephone calls from political action committees on the evening of the election day, claim to that they were confused by the ballot and voted for the wrong person (instead of asking an election official for some help), that's a whole different issue. ;)
I feel internet voting without worries of security would also bring out more politically educated people.  I doubt it will ever happen due to security but still a great thought.
That's a pretty optimistic viewpoint, but I don't see any evidence that Internet voting would bring out more politically educated people. In fact, statistics (!!!) consistently indicate that smaller voter turnouts are always made up of the most hardcore, politically astute voters, because they're the only ones who make it a priority to vote in every election, no matter what the weather or their social commitments. Likewise, as voter turnouts increase, so does the percentage of voters who haven't made any effort to learn about the candidates or the issues.
As far as MN electing Jesse - ya got to understand MN on that one. It could of been avoided but nobody gives a D*** about voting and that is a major issue that should be addressed.  I get a kick out of people walking around complaining about Government, but never vote on a single thing - I always vote that gives me the right to complain  :o
I think that being politically aware and living in Minnesota for the past 17 years qualifies me as understanding Minnesota and its politics. And I noticed that you referred to him as "Jesse" instead of as "Jesse Ventura," or even "James Janos" (his real name). To me, that's a perfect example of the guy's highly successful (and utterly misleading) populist persona -- he has the ability to make people think of him and talk about him as though they know him personally. IMO, that played a big role in getting him elected, but by the end of his term, most Minnesotans had had plenty of time, and plenty of examples of his immature (yes, immature), self-serving behavior, to see that he was all image and no substance. :o[/Off-topic rant] :lol:

Yea I agree with the whole idea of Jesse - I don't see that happening again in the future, I think they got their belly full. Other states have elected celebrities too now that I think about it.I see your point with other countries voting compared to ours and how much easier it is. If people can't drive to their voting poll than I guess it's their loss.I am next to MN near the Red River Valley northern part, use to live in Grand Forks. MN is a great place if ya want fish, lots of lakes to choose from.

Guest ComputerBob

Yeah, Minnesota's a great place for outdoors people -- the natives love doing stuff outdoors, even during the 6-7 months of Winter each year. :) Personally, my favorite Winter sport is drinking cocoa and watching TV. That's one of the reasons why, despite being here for 17 years, I still feel like a visitor. ;) This concludes our special news feature, "Celebrity Politicians and the People Who Vote For Them." We now return you to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress, "The future of the web; your thoughts." :)

OK, fella's, play nice. No comments on the current state of affairs. ;) Here are a couple more thoughts I had, reading your posts, that I'll post to egg you guys on. See, now you're getting the hang of this topic..Is the internet evolving into an alternate society, one which will someday replace all the current ones? It would be a literal global community, but while race, sex, age, etc. might not be the limitations they can be now in the physical society, we would no doubt still create classes and ranks. A replication, in a different medium, of what we have now. Or would we?Computerbob, I would disagree with only one of your points. Voting should be easy, accessable to as many as possible. For better or worse, one of the concepts that defines our political process to the rest of the world is that voting is open to (almost) all citizens. You are not allowed to limit voting to only those who truely understand the issues, as positive a thing as that may be. The government is intended to represent all the people, so it's no wonder it's so average.I would have no problem physically going digital. Humans are, after all, electrically powered already. I really am going to have at least four USB ports though, please.

All right....after a half a bottle of aspirin I think I am ready to answer this......If greed and politics do not kill it. I think we are in for some amazing things. In 10-15 years, at most, we all will be on some type of almost instantaneous connection. Regardless of where anyone lives. The NET and your PC will be capable of being wirelessly networked to almost any aplliance or home electronics...... TV's, stereo's, speakers, game consoles, stoves, microwaves.....lawnmowers???? ;) , etc, all wirelessly connected and controlled by your PC, or your PCC("Personal Command Center"), as it will be called then. Near instantaneious downloads. 90% of all software, music, movies and games will all be sold online, via a download.....that only takes seconds. You will be doing all of your movie rental online..... "BlockBuster" at your fingertips......streamed right to your HDTV. Web cams will merge with phones and evolve into "The Jetsons" type phones. Digital camcorders will evolve into your own personal "TV camera".......you will be able to send your footage in real-time to your friends and relatives or be able to record it straight to your hard drive at home via the NET, regardless of where you are in the world. Hard drives will have evolved into the "Home Data Center", as they will be called then, and will measured in mutltiple terrabytes.Teachers broadcasting their classroom in real-time to sick/injured kids at home via the NET. Being able to attend many college classes/lectures in real-time.............I need more aspirin!!!!!

Guest ComputerBob
For better or worse, one of the concepts that defines our political process to the rest of the world is that voting is open to (almost) all citizens.  You are not allowed to limit voting to only those who truely understand the issues, as positive a thing as that may be.
I wouldn't want to be part of any movement that would try to limit voting to only those who "understand the issues." I just think that, for people who care enough to vote, there are already plenty of opportunties for them to do so. There's no need for the government to essentially beg uninformed, apathetic people to vote. ;) And, based on your blatant attempt to "fan the flames" of this thread :) , I think you should probably go with firewire instead of USB ports. :)

Guest ComputerBob
The NET and your PC will be capable of being wirelessly networked to almost any aplliance or home electronics...... TV's, stereo's, speakers, game consoles, stoves, microwaves.....lawnmowers???? :) , etc, all wirelessly connected and controlled by your PC, or your PCC("Personal Command Center"), as it will be called then...
"HONEY! The toaster's trying to sell the refrigerator on eBay again!" ;)

LMAO - hmmmm toaster selling the Fridge brings up a interesting thought - AI - how far will that go? Appliances getting too smart and than start to disagree with you? I agree with your household being linked together and that we will all be wired to have things almost instanteously by downloading it. I want one of those jestson mobiles ;)

Guest LilBambi

I agree! There is great potential for a wonderfully and totally wired environment in the near future (10-15 yrs).But I do not know if I have any great confidence that it will be handled well if we have current corporations, governments, and criminal behavior as any kind of indication of how it will be handled in the future.I just wonder who will control it, and how it will be controlled ... with all the talking back and forth between all these appliances, vehicles, planes, cellphones, entertainment centers, and the very fabric of our homes ... and the inability to really keep out unwanted or uninvited traffic now with the current wireless technologies ... we certainly have a long way to go before these things would be considered secure.It makes me think of scenarios in some movies (such as The Net, Judge Dred and many others, some dating back to the 50s) where great and wonderfully innovative technology was turned on their users.For example:the ability for someone to break in electronically and cause a plane to crash by feeding the wrong information to the pilot's computerwiping a person's identity or altering it beyond recognitionchanging medication being dispensed or medical informationwiping out what you owntriangulating on a person's location with cellphones and GPScameras everywhere and the ability to not move from one street to another with being tracked whether you are in a vehicle or on foot... who knows ...someone turning on your sprinklers for you remotely and costing you a bundle at your town's waterworks while you are away on vacation ;)Some of these things may seem far fetched, but a few of these things are already possible and available in limited fashion, and as we get more wired they and other things that I don't even want to think about will also be possible.Who's gonna control this, does it need to be controlled, and if so, can we trust them with our lives ... because when you are wired to that degree ... you have to be able to trust those who control it, right? :rolleyes: And how many personal liberties might we need to give up to make all of this possible? Will it be worth it? :) Just food for thought - trying to keep some sort of perspective :)

Guest LilBambi

But then again .... "Where are the flying cars? They said there would be flying cars!"Please don't take my comments the wrong way ... I love technology ... Computers and science are my favorite things.I am very excited at all the new technologies and what can be with these wonderful innovations.However, I am a bit anxious at the same time :rolleyes:

Edited by LilBambi

Well, LilBambi,

However, I am a bit anxious at the same time
, I have to agree with you. I believe history has taught us that all great changes in society come with positive and negative results. I like to think the future of the web will be guided by those who can imagine the bad that could happen and find ways to avoid or control it. We may have to have alternate webs for individual interests. Then someone developes the WEB, the collective name for all the webs, like sites to the current web. And maybe voting on the web won't even be an issue. Perhaps the ability to electronically interact with those in government will make concensus easier to reach, making the decision more important than the decision-maker.Eh?

Guest ComputerBob
...Perhaps the ability to electronically interact with those in government will make concensus easier to reach, making the decision more important than the decision-maker...
It might be nice to think about, but I don't think it will ever happen. The easier it is to communicate with politicians, the less they tend to listen. Example: it's widely known that politicians at least pretend to listen intently to people who visit them in their offices, or stop them on the street. It's also widely known that politicians tend to read (or at least have their staff read) snail mail letters sent by their constituents. Telephone calls from constituents have less influence than in-person visits and snail mail letters, unless hundreds of constituents take the time to call about the same issue. What many people don't realize is that most politicians virtually ignore (pun intended) email messages sent to them by their constituents. Why? Because they figure that it doesn't take much effort or commitment to type a few lines (or copy a few lines from someone else's email message) and send them electronically. To most politicians, email messages have very little weight and credibility, so any future technologies that makes it even easier for people to contact their leaders will probably have even less weight and credibility. :rolleyes:

This conversation has me worried. :lol: Sounds like I may have to purchase a firewall to keep script kiddies from hacking the refrigerator for my beer in a few years. :rolleyes:

Guest ComputerBob
This conversation has me worried.  :D  Sounds like I may have to purchase a firewall to keep script kiddies from hacking the refrigerator for my beer in a few years.  :lol:
Outside BestBuy, 2010: "Mister, if my friends and I give you the money, will you buy us a router?" :rolleyes:

It might be nice to think about, but I don't think it will ever happen
OK, how about if I could present myself holographically with full virtual interaction capabilities? "The next best thing to being there".