SNF 11th Anniversary - March 8, 2014!

Corrine

Look at us! We're 11 years old! There aren't that many forums that have successfully continued as long as SNF. So, Highlanders, let's party!

I got us a cake. It isn't fancy, but this is an informal party. So, bring some snacks and how about a game or two?

Join in, share your memories of times spent here at SNF.

SNFBirthdayCake_zps67f32be6.jpg

Special thanks to Scot for providing this place for us to share information, get help and help others.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I've been here for 8 of those 11 years now. How time flies!

A tip o' the hat to Scot! tiphat.gif We couldn't have done it without you. ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCOT'S NEWSLETTER FORUMS!!!

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Scot's Newsletter Forum

I think I've been here pretty near the whole time. I've learned a lot here and hope to continue to do so for a long time to come. Thanks Scot!!

• Like 1

Happy 11th Anniversary!

In May, I will have been hanging out here for 11 years. It's amazing how much I've learned from the people who post here and how many computers I've gone through in 11 years.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Happy Anniversary SNF Highlanders!!!!

Yep, many of us have been here pretty much the whole time!

I have been here pretty much the whole time too ... 10 days after the unveiling in fact ... Member #100! Rolana has been here about the same amount of time ... 13 days after the unveiling, Member #328!

And so many others have been here since that same time frame, like Liz, only a couple months out from the unveiling and there were so many with us at that point, that even though it was only 2 months out from the unveiling that Liz is Member #1336!

It is great to see so many still here and active.

And it doesn't matter how long or how short of a time one has been here, each one is a Highlander we cherish!

As Corrine mentioned, it is unusual for forums to still be active this long!

It's like a hundred years in Internet time! :yes:

Scot, our fearless leader, thanks so much for making this great place for us to all hang out!

:wub:

Here's some homemade tortilla and salsa!

mgb1XI7.jpg

Edited by LilBambi

There ^^^ is someone else who deserves special recognition and thanks.

Come on, LilBambi, take a bow.

You do so much behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly and securely.

Thank you! You're the BEST!!!

Seeing as how it is a party, let's splurge with some shrimp.

100-pcjumboshrimpplatter.jpg

• Like 3

Guest LilBambi

Ah, shucks! Thanks! It is a labor of love! :wub:

And I will take some of those shrimp and add some more horseradish to the seafood sauce! ;)

You know, it would not be as much of a great place without all the Admins, Mods, and all of the Highlanders who make it so special!

Guest LilBambi

It was truly the World's Best Lasagna! Not cheap to make but it was my birthday and Jim was wonderful to make it for my birthday 'cake'. ;)

Happy 11th to all forum members and mods! It's all of you who make this a warm, friendly and helpful place -- just as we envisioned from the start 11 years and one day ago. It was clearly a good plan. And though it led to some challenges here and there, we've all developed some pretty amazing friendships along the way. And that's made all the difference.

Thanks to all those who've helped. It's the essence of SNF to pitch in and help one another. We're very lucky to have that culture. The Forums is also very lucky to have a talented and dedicated admin and moderator team, including Fran, Corrine, Eric and many others. This place would not exist without the gifts of their generous time and effort.

— Scot

• Like 3

I just checked my profile and was amazed to find I've been here since 2003! Thanks very much to everyone who's made the Forums such a great place.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I get up every morning; after feeding the kitties, reading the newspaper and having my coffee, I turn the system on. I read my emails, visit my own board (Cabin In the Woods) and then come here. The routine is unvarying for the most part. It would be severely disrupted were this place not here for me to come to. That's on you, Scot. Thanks! :)

I was surprised to see that I signed up in June of 2003. I've only participated in spurts along the way, but it was good to know that I could always stop by and folks would treat me as if I never left.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Yep, Fuddster's Member #1615 and joined on June 25, 2013! You meant 2003, I'm sure. ~Eric :)

Yes, it is always a joy to see old Highlander friends and get to interact with them again!

Edited by LilBambi
Yes, I did! LOL!

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh! I didn't come here till Urmas dragged me over to soak up some of Bruno's knowledge back in '06. I'm a relative "n*wbie" to the clan. ;)

• Like 1

Darn missed another party. Hope I get to see you all at the twelfth do.

Oh an thanks to all the folks here for the help and humour given whilst I have been here. :shifty:

I'm a fairly new person compared to others in this thread - only been here since 2007.

But I feel I've come along quite a lot as a user and geek in that time. When I started here my best machine was a Pentium III 1 GHz desktop. My only distro experience with Linux was Ubuntu, and I was seeking help on how to set up a wireless card with WPA encryption. The wifi card was in a desktop, not a laptop - so I didn't have to drill holes in the floor to put a second machine in the basement.

What a job that was back in the Edgy Eft days of Ubuntu. It was even more challenging when I tried it with Vector Linux. Network Manager has come a long way since then, and wifi is almost a trivial exercise with any Linux distro today. Also DKMS has meant that you don't have to rebuild wifi modules every time the kernel gets an upgrade.

Edited by raymac46

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... I remember that Sue, whom I had dragged over here from the Delphi Firefox forum, dragged you along, eventually. Sue is my pal. She still pops in regularly at my board, not so much here.

Sue was the very first person who suggested I try Linux back in late 2006. I had this old desktop that ran Windows Me and I didn't want to buy a new copy of Windows XP. When I had trouble figuring out wifi she suggested I come here. As I recall it was Urmas who sorted my problem.

• Like 1

For those of you who don't know who Ray and I are referring to here...

photo-4504.jpg?_r=1337027266 SueD :)

That's meeeee that goes weeeee!!!

Wow, have I been using linux that long? I can barely remember the last time I used windows so yeah, I guess so. So glad Eric pointed me here. I still pop in from time to time for a quick look-see but all my machines have been running so smoothly, I haven't needed help with anything. Hard to believe, eh?LOL

Anyhow, happy 11th to Scotsnewsletter!!! And here's hoping for another 11 years, at least. :)

• Like 1

*waves* Hiya Fran! Yeah, and I have no intention of going back. I have windows fans who think I'm some kind of subversive for hanging on this long. ;)

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

:th_smiley-wave2: Hey Sue! :th_wavsign:

:hysterical: Yeah, many folks just don't get it, do they?

I have been using Linux since Mandrake 7.1 in 2000 but gave up due to issues with 'Microsoft centric' motherboard that made installation a real bear and at that time, there was no "Bruno" to get my questions answered. Later, with SNF and ATL and Bruno and my Jim, I was encouraged to try to install again after I got some different hardware.

Now I have gone from Mandrake, to Redhat, to Fedora, to Ubuntu, and am using straight Debian since Lenny...currently running Wheezy.

I love Linux! And Debian is just so stable! :blissysmile: