Windows 7 Ultimate on ASUS laptop

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

I called Microsoft today because I was having issues activating my Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Edition (Upgrade from Vista).

I figured there might be trouble because I had it on another computer but that computer died before a few months of the install was spent.

Their round robin telephone messaging system really needs some help because I got lost (meaning they lost me ;) ) and was hung up on one time ... for a total of 3 times.

But when i called back the last time, I got this wonderful man named Sarabjit and he did whatever it took to get it done. He had to fight with it a bit to get it to work right due to some error it kept coming up with, but he got it.

I am so happy to finally have my Windows 7 Ultimate again installed on a nice laptop computer. It's not a real speed demon of course, it is a Pentium Dual Core with 3/GB RAM and needed to run the 32-bit Windows 7 since it ran 32-bit Vista for the best chance of hardware being supported (based on my searches on the web for the ASUS model). Thankfully when you get Windows 7 Ultimate it comes with discs for installing bothy 32-bit and 64-bit (same license, either or situation).

I am really liking it.

Thanks Sarabjit and Microsoft!

Edited by LilBambi

Unfortunately, those are the exception.

It's always nice when a CS rep will go the extra mile and get it done for you.

Unfortunately, those are the exception at most businesses.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, that's true, amenditman, however, this has been the only types of responses I have had with Microsoft when trying to activate Windows on a new install for whatever reason.

Microsoft has always gone the extra mile in that regard every time I have called and I sometimes call on my own behalf, or on my client's behalf and they always have gone the extra mile. I thought that is something that should be spoken about.

Often we only hear the bad stuff from companies, any companies. But people just take it for granted when a company does well. I do not. I really appreciate it; both from Microsoft and the tech support guy, Sarabjit.

Guest LilBambi

I was able to get all of the updates right up to SP1 and then no matter what I did, it failed ... three times.

I went and got updated drivers for the network card, video card, sound card, etc. that were available for the laptop and then SP1 went in first time with no other changes needed.

I then was able to get the successive 110 updates to SP1 and another 5 after that with no problem.

So I have a fully operational Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit ASUS laptop from the Vista era.

I then was able to get the successive 110 updates to SP1 and another 5 after that with no problem.

Hope you did that over wired network.

Last one of those I did over WiFi was 163 updates.

I think it took all day, but I don't know for sure. I fell asleep watching the hypnotic status indicator.

Edited by amenditman