Logjam with XP updates

Polock

I'm down to my last system to install the SP2 update and as the old saying goes, "I've saved the best for last".I need to clear the logjam I have before I try the SP2 update, but I'm lost with the way the new v5 updater works and where it puts the downloads. If I run Windows update and check the Details of the download,it shows Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773) with the Total size of 0 KB and 0 minutes to download.If I click on install, a window happily tells me the "Updates were unable to be successfully installed".This all started back last summer when I updated to the v5 updater when it was in the beta stage and I've been looking for cures ever since.What I would like to try is removing all the downloaded, or attempted downloaded, updates, just in case any were corrupt...but where are they downloaded too? I found a folder called SoftwareDistribution under C:\Windows, but am hesitant in deleting it's contents without a thorough understanding of what's what.Part 2 of what I would like to try, is remove the v5 beta updater I had installed and replace with the current version of v5. Can that be deleted from the Downloaded Program Files folder?Being somewhat of a novice, I really appreciate any and all guidance.Polock <_<