Photo

State of the Video

Yesterday, 08:01 AM

Posted by raymac46 in Bruno's All Things Linux
What video card and driver are you using these days and how's it working for you? here's my personal State of the Video Summary:
Intel (couple of older laptops.) Well, it's Intel. Not flashy but it works. There is no proprietary driver - all FOSS.
Nvidia (an old desktop and one I recently fixed up with Linux mint 18.2.) I continue to run the proprietary driver on the old desktop (GTX 650) because I had trouble earlier with Nouveau and Cinnamon desktop. Now it appears that recent kernel upgrades fixed that and Nouveau worked fine on the machine (GT520) I set up for my 90 year old Linux client. I left it that way. I still like the proprietary driver best though.
AMD (old Trinity APU laptop and my Linux main driver (R7 360 discrete card.)) I had lots of problems with the discrete card but that is now in the rear view mirror. I don't have any option for the proprietary driver but FOSS has always worked great - if it worked at all. Even though I am an AMD fanboi I have trouble recommending a new Linux user try AMD. I am still on the older radeon driver because my hardware is now quite obsolete by graphics standards.
What would I recommend these days?. Intel baby unless you are gaming or need heavy 3D support. Then Nvidia I guess - even though I hate ripping out the FOSS driver stack. I will reserve judgement on the latest AMD RX lineup - although older cards now work OK.

49 Views · 3 Replies ( Last reply by abarbarian )

Photo

Check swap fstab/blkid match

19 Sep 2017

Posted by sunrat in Bruno's All Things Linux
You know how the swap UUID can get changed and mismatch fstab when you install a new OS in a multiboot setup? Here's a command to check if fstab swap entry is correct:
if [ $(grep swap /etc/fstab | awk '{print $1}') == $(blkid | grep swap| awk '{print $2}'|sed s/'"'//g) ]; then echo "All is good";else echo "Swap UUID is different to fstab";fi
I saved it to my Zim Desktop Wiki repository of handy tips and commands.

Funny story how I came to this - someone posted a command on Debian User Forums purporting to do the same thing. I had a quick look at the command and realised it was comparing 2 identical commands so couldn't possibly flag a mismatch. Of course I had to fix it. :)
Posted Image

105 Views · 2 Replies ( Last reply by V.T. Eric Layton )

Photo

New phone -- Galaxy Note 8

19 Sep 2017

Posted by securitybreach in Mobility
So Friday I went by Tmobile and upgraded my LG G6 to the new Samsung Note 8

6.3 Inch Super AMOLED screen 1440x2960 (521 ppi)
8 Core Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 processor
6gb ram
64gb internal with a 200gb sdcard
Dual 12 MP cameras/8 mp front cameras
Bluetooth 5.0
USB-C Connector

http://www.gsmarena...._note8-8505.php

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

I switched the launcher to Nova Prime and replaced all the defaults with Google instead of Samsung apps. The above shots do not do it justice as I had to use an old camera. The screen is one of the best screens I have ever seen on a phone and I have owned a lot of phones over the years.

100 Views · 1 Replies ( Last reply by V.T. Eric Layton )

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 49 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Google, Bing, Yahoo

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS