RE:RH9

georgeg4

Hi All I am new to this forum and even newer to Linux . I acquired a copy of RH9 and SuSe 8.2 . I installed the RH on an unformatted partition on My HD . It installed ok . I then tried to install the SuSe on a different partition but some how it ended up on the same partition as RH9 did . NowI can't boot up using my C drive on which I have four partitions respectively C = Win 98SE , E= WinXP Home , F = Empty and , G= The RH9 and SuSe . When I try to boot using C or E instead of getting Win I get Grub . And when I try to boot using grub I get the message I cant boot without installing the Linux Kernel . I can however boot into RH with a floppy and Into SuSe usiong the cdrom . But in doing so I must change my boot sequence in Bios . I have in Bios boot from A,Cdrom,C,D,and E . D being my secondary drive with the version of Windows I am using now .

Hi georgeg4Welcome to the forum, As for your problem, if I understand you right you have 1 partition left empty where you wanted to install Suse, ( but it ended up on the RH partition ) .My theory is if you would just re-install Suse on the right partition and let it make the bootloader Lilo in the MBR, it would pick up all your other OS´es in the bootmanager.Just imagine that that does not work, just do the same with RedHat ( BUT DO MAKE A BOOTDISK AGAIN OF EVERY DISTO YOU INSTALL ! ) also making Lilo overwrite the MBR.First you will end up with the right distro on the right partition, secondly you will have 90% chance all your problems will be solved.For the other 10% we will find a solution as it comes !B) Bruno

Thanks Bruno If I understand you I should reinstall RH and then Install SuSe in the free partition . Is that Correct

I would prefer it the other way aroud, first SuSe and then RedHat, but then now I think of it, it does not really matter, as long as you do use the whole RH partition for RedHat ! And do install Lilo in the MBR each time ! ( + the bootdisks !! ):rolleyes: Bruno