Elon Musk: The World’s Raddest Man

securitybreach

securitybreach

Long but very interesting read!! Seriously read this:

I’ll use this post to explore how he became a self-made billionaire and the real-life inspiration for Iron Man’s Tony Stark, but for the moment, I’ll let Richard Branson explain things briefly:1

Whatever skeptics have said can’t be done, Elon has gone out and made real. Remember in the 1990s, when we would call strangers and give them our credit-card numbers? Elon dreamed up a little thing called PayPal. His Tesla Motors and SolarCity companies are making a clean, renewable-energy future a reality…his SpaceX [is] reopening space for exploration…it’s a paradox that Elon is working to improve our planet at the same time he’s building spacecraft to help us leave it.

So no, that was not a phone call I had been expecting.

A few days later, I found myself in pajama pants, pacing frantically around my apartment, on the phone with Elon Musk. We had a discussion about Tesla, SpaceX, the automotive and aerospace and solar power industries, and he told me what he thought confused people about each of these things. He suggested that if these were topics I’d be interested in writing about, and it might be helpful, I could come out to California and sit down with him in person for a longer discussion.

For me, this project was one of the biggest no-brainers in history. Not just because Elon Musk is Elon Musk, but because here are two separate items that have been sitting for a while in my “Future Post Topics” document, verbatim:

– “electric vs hybrid vs gas cars, deal with tesla, sustainable energy”

– “spacex, musk, mars?? how learn to do rockets??”

I already wanted to write about these topics, for the same reason I wrote about Artificial Intelligence—I knew they would be hugely important in the future but that I also didn’t understand them well enough. And Musk is leading a revolution in both of these worlds.

It would be like if you had plans to write about the process of throwing lightning bolts and then one day out of the blue Zeus called and asked if you wanted to question him about a lot of stuff.

So it was on. The plan was that I’d come out to California, see the Tesla and SpaceX factories, meet with some of the engineers at each company, and have an extended sit down with

Musk. Exciting.

The first order of business was to have a full panic. I needed to not sit down with these people—these world-class engineers and rocket scientists—and know almost nothing about anything. I had a lot of quick learning to do.

The problem with Elon ****ing Musk, though, is that he happens to be involved in all of the following industries:

• Automotive
  • Aerospace
  • Solar Energy
  • Energy Storage
  • Satellite
  • High-Speed Ground Transportation
  • And, um, Multi-Planetary Expansion

Zeus would have been less stressful...........

http://waitbutwhy.co...addest-man.html

• Like 2

Yeah, genius.

Tesla's first-quarter loss widens amid heavy spending

Tesla Motors Inc. reported a dramatically wider loss in the first quarter as it spent heavily to launch a new sport utility vehicle, rebuild its paint shop and construct a giant battery plant near Reno.

The Palo Alto electric car company said it lost $154 million in the first quarter, compared with a loss of $49.8 million a year earlier. First-quarter revenue rose 51% to nearly $940 million.

Tesla's results were also dragged down from $22 million in mostly unrealized losses from revaluation of its foreign currency holdings because of the strong dollar.

The company continued to offer a rosy outlook for the second quarter, however. It expects to produce about 12,500 vehicles, roughly a 12% gain from the previous quarter, and is on track to deliver 55,000 Model S and Model X vehicles this year...

This company will be bankrupt within 5 years after Mr. Musk has raped it to the tune of his $78 million annual salary.

securitybreach

You must of not read the whole article as this has happened before with Tesla and he bankrolled the company out of his personal wealth. He has no problem floating his companies until the return is made.

Awesome article, read it this last weekend. You often hear about things like "Tesla" and "SolarX" etc but never put much thought in to is behind them. Can honestly say I never recognized the name Elon Musk until reading this story but the man deserves props. He is definitely "Rad" :-D

• Like 2