HDMI to DVI

DarkSerge

My computer has an HDMI out but my monitor has a DVI port. Is a converter box needed to go from HDMI (out from system) to DVI (input on monitor) or can a simple cable do the trick? There's a local computer place that has a cable that goes HDMI to DVI.

securitybreach

A simple cable or adapter will work.

But be careful WHICH HDMI to DVI cable you get. There are different DVI plug configurations. Check this site to see what I mean.

True although most home machines/consumer video cards use DVI-D. DVI-A and DVI-I are mostly for connecting to older analog displays.

• Like 1

A simple cable or adapter will work.

But be careful WHICH HDMI to DVI cable you get. There are different DVI plug configurations. Check this site to see what I mean.

True although most home machines/consumer video cards use DVI-D. DVI-A and DVI-I are mostly for connecting to older analog displays.

Yes, you can get lucky 'cause the odds say the most common cable is the one you'll get and it will fit your monitor. Then again you can avoid not being lucky by making sure which cable you're ordering. But I posted this 'cause I've been burned by that assumption.

edit: BTW, how many DVI only monitors do you know of that aren't "older".

Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

Well not only but I do see hundreds of new HP monitors (and some old ones that have been deployed for a while) at work and none have hdmi. They all mostly have DVI/DP/VGA ports and we work with lots of adapters as some of the docks only have 1 DVI and 1 dp while others have 2x DP ports.

All of the employees use at least 2 monitors (the ones on the bridge have 8-10 monitors at each workstation) so we use a whole lot of DVI cables and adapters. I have a box in my office with probably 100 or more DVI cables in it, ready to deploy, along with boxes of DP cables and a ton of DVI to DP adapters.

DVI is still used in the Enterprise environment a lot although everyone is trying to move to DP. Although, I do not know why HDMI never caught on in business.

Well not only but I do see hundreds of new HP monitors (and some old ones that have been deployed for a while) at work and none have hdmi. They all mostly have DVI/DP/VGA ports and we work with lots of adapters as some of the docks only have 1 DVI and 1 dp while others have 2x DP ports.

All of the employees use at least 2 monitors (the ones on the bridge have 8-10 monitors at each workstation) so we use a whole lot of DVI cables and adapters. I have a box in my office with probably 100 or more DVI cables in it, ready to deploy, along with boxes of DP cables and a ton of DVI to DP adapters.

DVI is still used in the Enterprise environment a lot although everyone is trying to move to DP. Although, I do not know why HDMI never caught on in business.

Does any of that change the simple fact that the OP would be safer to make a simple check that the adapter he buys matches his monitor?

edit: BTW, it is only if you buy Dell, HP or Lenovo monitors that you'll get DP instead of HDMI. DP is "their thing". But the vast majority of TV/Monitors have HDMI.

Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

Does any of that change the simple fact that the OP would be safer to make a simple check that the adapter he buys matches his monitor?

edit: BTW, it is only if you buy Dell, HP or Lenovo monitors that you'll get DP instead of HDMI. DP is "their thing". But the vast majority of TV/Monitors have HDMI.

It does not. You should always check your cables and connections.

As far as the monitors, I have 2x Acer, 1 Viewsonic and 1 AOC monitor connected to my main machine. None of them have HDMI ports but they all have DVI except for the AOC which has DP and DVI.

It does not. You should always check your cables and connections.

As far as the monitors, I have 2x Acer, 1 Viewsonic and 1 AOC monitor connected to my main machine. None of them have HDMI ports but they all have DVI except for the AOC which has DP and DVI.

And I have three sitting in front of me. All of which have VGA and 3 HDMI ports. No DVI or DP on any of them. One of them is brand new and the other two are about three years old. Could it be that when you bought your monitors you intentionally purchased ones equipped with DP?

I just did a Google search for DP monitors and the only ones I found with DP and no HDMI were from Dell and HP. By no means am I saying there aren't any but HDMI seems to be MUCH more prevalent than DP. Your experience seems to stem from the fact that HP and Dell dominate the market you serve.

Edit: I just searched Newegg for 24" monitors. Of the first 20 listed, only one had a DP port and it also had HDMI. Many, though not all, had HDMI.

Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

]And I have three sitting in front of me. All of which have VGA and 3 HDMI ports. No DVI or DP on any of them. One of them is brand new and the other two are about three years old. Could it be that when you bought your monitors you intentionally purchased ones equipped with DP?

I just did a Google search for DP monitors and the only ones I found with DP and no HDMI were from Dell and HP. By no means am I saying there aren't any but HDMI seems to be MUCH more prevalent than DP. Your experience seems to stem from the fact that HP and Dell dominate the market you serve.

Edit: I just searched Newegg for 24" monitors. Of the first 20 listed, only one had a DP port and it also had HDMI. Many, though not all, had HDMI.

Well I have only been an HP contractor for about six months but every piece of hardware that Shell Global uses is HP. I have only had one dell monitor in my life and that was an old CRT monitor so I am not really familiar with them. What I was going by was my own experience with monitors I have owned and used over the years. I have never owned an HP monitor or laptop so the HP side was just from my job.

There are a lot of reasons why commercial environments use DP over HDMI. For instance DP allows for a longer cable length (49ft), the data rate is much faster and it also allows you to connect multiple monitors to a single DP connection, etc. http://electronicdesign.com/communications/what-s-difference-between-hdmi-and-displayport#DisplayPort

HP and Dell have nothing to do with DP besides maybe offering the port on some of their machines/monitors. Display Port connection was developed by VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association) which is the same organization that came up with HDMI and VGA standard so basically its just a newer standard that lots of businesses now use for the added benefits: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA

Guest LilBambi

DVI connections can be hazardous unless you check the type of DVI your monitor has for sure.

I love HDMI though only two of my computers actually support it and I had to search for monitors that supported the HDMI among the ones I have. Found enough to do the job thankfully.

Hello,

One potential issue with going from HDMI to DVI is that HDCP (high-definition digital content protection) signals may not transfer over the connection. This means that DRM'd media like DVDs and Blu-ray's may not display properly. I'm not sure about that--it may be more a limitation of using old (pre-HDCP) DVI hardware and using an cable with a different connector at the other end to convert the signal.

I'm not sure about this, though. I had some problems using cables with differing connectors, but it may have been to old DVI gear that didn't support HDCP signalling. If that is a problem, the only solution short of replacing the monitor or the video card is various grey market software or hardware whose legality is questionable at best.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

The last two monitors I got (Acer and LG) have D-Sub and HDMI connections. Since just about every video card these days has HDMI it was pretty easy to connect them with a simple HDMI cable. I have an older Acer 1680X1050 monitor that has D-sub and DVI-D so I have a DVI-D cable for it that connects up to an old video card in my Dell Optiplex. As long as you can figure out some way to connect digitally you are fine.