Cheap SSD

raymac46

I had a chance to get a Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB unit from my local computer shop for around $55 Canadian (that's about $42 US right now.)

This is a good price for Canada so I picked one up and replaced the 5 year old HDD in my Toshiba netbook.

This netbook is relatively easy to work on. Remove a couple of screws, take off the door, take out the hard drive caddy and replace the mechanical drive with the SSD.

I had to reinstall Manjaro but that's OK. Not a lot of data on the netbook to back up anyway.

It has made a huge difference in booting the machine and loading programs, even with the wimpy Atom CPU and low RAM capacity.

I don't know if I would buy as cheap an SSD as this for any machine I really needed for work, but for an old netbook it is a great upgrade.

Now I'm all set with a pretty rugged little travelling netbook.

• Like 2

At these prices it's worth considering to re-invigorate an aging laptop. Even a second gen 64 bit netbook will benefit. I have a couple of older 32 bit netbooks where it's not worth it though.

One (Dell Mini 12) can only have 1 GB of RAM and the other (Acer) has a strange and obsolete PATA-SSD interface that wouldn't work with modern SSDs even if you could somehow get it to fit in the unit. That machine is doomed to have 8 GB of storage for its O/S although you can plug in a normal SD card for additional data storage.

Just checked and the Dell Mini 12 also has a PATA interface and a 1.8 inch drive so an SSD would be out of the question there. Only if you have room in the case for a 2.5 inch drive and an adapter would one of these SSDs be suitable.

It makes a massive difference in the newer netbook though.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1