Security Now Podcasts - A terrific resource.

rbdietz

Security Now Pod CastsWow, what a great series of Pod casts!Leo Laporte and Steve Gibson discuss various security issues in detail.(More recent episodes are near an hour in length.)Enjoy,BobEpisode #1 | 19 Aug 2005 | 18 min.As the Worm Turns — the first Internet worms of 2005How a never-disclosed Windows vulnerability was quickly reverse-engineered from the patches to fix it and turned into more than 12 potent and damaging Internet worms in three days. What does this mean for the future of Internet security?Episode #2 | 25 Aug 2005 | 25 min." HoneyMonkeys "How Microsoft's "HoneyMonkey" system works, how it finds malicious web sites before they find you, and what Microsoft is doing (and NOT doing) with this valuable security information it is now collecting.Episode #3 | 01 Sep 2005 | 25 min.NAT Routers as FirewallsMost people don't think of common NAT routers as hardware firewalls, but ANY NAT router inherently provides terrific security and protection against incoming malicious traffic. Learn how and why this is, and which default settings MUST be changed to lock down the security of your NAT router.Episode #4 | 08 Sep 2005 | 24 min.Personal Password PolicyEveryone who uses web-based services such as eBay, Amazon, and Yahoo, needs to authenticate their identity with passwords. Password quality is important since easily guessable passwords can be easily defeated. Leo and I recap a bit from last week's program, then discuss passwords. We suggest an approach that anyone can use to easily create unbreakable passwords.Episode #5 | 15 Sep 2005 | 20 min.Personal Password Policy — Part 2Our previous episode (#4), which discussed personal password policies, generated so much great listener feedback, thoughts, ideas, and reminders about things we didn't mention, that we decided to wrap up this important topic with a final episode to share listeners' ideas and to clarify some things we left unsaid.Episode #6 | 22 Sep 2005 | 18 min.Mechanical & Electromagnetic Information LeakageTriggered by a recent report of three UC Berkeley researchers recovering text typed at a keyboard (any keyboard) after simply listening to ten minutes of typing, Leo and I discuss the weird realm of "alternative information leakage" — from CRT glowing, to radio emissions, to LEDs lamps on the front of network equipment . . . to a microphone listening to anyone typing.Episode #7 | 29 Sep 2005 | 36 min.SPYaWAREnessAny contemporary discussion of threats to Internet security must discuss the history, current situation, and future of spyware. Leo and I spend a little more time than usual covering many aspects of this important topic. DON'T MISS the Episode Notes Page for this episode!Episode #8 | 06 Oct 2005 | 24 min.Denial of Service (DoS) AttacksDistributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks are occurring with ever-greater frequency every day. Although these damaging attacks are often used to extort high-profile gaming and gambling sites before major gambling events, attacks are also launched against individual users who do something to annoy "zombie fleet masters" while they are online. Some router and firewall vendors claim that their devices prevent DDoS attacks. Is that possible? What can be done to dodge the bullet of a DDoS attack launched against you while you're online?Episode #9 | 13 Oct 2005 | 32 min.RootkitsThis week we discuss "rootkit technology". We examine what rootkits are, why they have suddenly become a problem, and how that problem is rapidly growing in severity. We also discuss their detection and removal and point listeners to some very effective free rootkit detection solutions.Episode #10 | 20 Oct 2005 | 28 min.Open Wireless Access PointsLeo and I examine the security and privacy considerations of using non-encrypted (i.e. 'Open') wireless access points at home and in public locations. We discuss the various ways of protecting privacy when untrusted strangers can 'sniff' the data traffic flowing to and from your online PC.Episode #11 | 27 Oct 2005 | 38 min.Bad WiFi Security (WEP and MAC address filtering)Leo and I answer some questions arising from last week's episode, then plow into a detailed discussion of the lack of security value of MAC address filtering, the futility of disabling SSID's for security, and the extremely poor security offered by the first-generation WEP encryption system.Episode #12 | 03 Nov 2005 | 24 min.Sony's "Rootkit Technology" DRM (copy protection gone bad)Leo and I discuss details and consequences of Sony Corporation's alarming "Rootkit" DRM (digital rights management) copy protection scheme. This poorly written software unnecessarily employs classic rootkit technology (see episode #9) to hide from its users after installation. It can not be uninstalled easily, it can be easily misused for malicious purposes, and it has been implicated in many repeated BSOD "blue screen of death" PC crashes.Episode #13 | 10 Nov 2005 | 35 min.Unbreakable WiFi SecurityLeo and I follow-up on last week's discussion of the Sony Rootkit debacle with the distressing news of "phoning home" (spyware) behavior from the Sony DRM software, and the rootkit's exploitation by a new malicious backdoor Trojan. We then return to complete our discussion of WiFi security, demystifying the many confusing flavors of WPA encryption and presenting several critical MUST DO tips for WPA users.Episode #14 | 17 Nov 2005 | 27 min.Virtual Private Networks (VPN): TheoryLeo and I first follow-up on the past two episodes, discussing new developments in the continuing Sony Rootkit DRM drama, and clearing up some confusion over the crackability of WPA passphrases. Then, in this first of our two-part series on VPNs, we discuss the theory of VPN connections and tunnels, explaining how they work and why they represent such a terrific solution for anyone who needs security while they're away from home.Episode #15 | 24 Nov 2005 | 43 min.VPN Secure Tunneling SolutionsLeo and I discuss the use of SSL and SSH encrypted tunneling for providing privacy and security whenever an insecure local network is being used — such as at an open WiFi hotspot or when using a hotel's network. These solutions are not transparent and tend to be configuration intensive. They also require the use of a "server" of some sort at the user's home or office. This makes these approaches less suitable for casual users, but offers a solution for the more technically inclined road warriors.Episode #16 | 01 Dec 2005 | 42 min.Listener feedback Q&A #1Leo and I discuss questions asked by listeners of our previous episodes. We tie up loose ends, explore a wide range of topics that are too small to fill their own episode, clarify any confusion from previous installments, and present real world 'application notes' for any of the security technologies we have previously discussed.Episode #17 | 08 Dec 2005 | 33 min.PPTP and IPSec VPN TechnologyIn our continuing exploration of VPN technology for protecting network users on networks they don't control, Leo and I discuss the oldest "original" VPN protocols: Industry standard IPSec, and Microsoft's own PPTP and L2TP/IPSec. We examine and explain the trouble with interconnecting Windows machines to third-party VPN routers and examine the many reasons these older technologies are probably not optimal for on-the-go road warriors.Episode #18 | 15 Dec 2005 | 33 min."Hamachi" Rocks!This week Leo and I discuss and describe the brand new, ready to emerge from a its long development beta phase, ultra-secure, lightweight, high-performance, highly-polished, multi-platform, peer-to-peer and FREE! personal virtual private networking system known as "Hamachi". After two solid weeks of testing and intense dialog with Hamachi's lead developer and designer, I have fully vetted the system's security architecture and have it running on many of my systems. While I am travelling to Toronto this week, Hamachi is keeping my roaming laptop securely and directly connected to all of my machines back home. Don't miss this one!Episode #19 | 22 Dec 2005 | 53 min.VPNs Three: Hamachi, iPig, and OpenVPNLeo and I wrap up our multi-week, in-depth coverage of PC VPN solutions by discussing some aftermath of the zero-configuration Hamachi system; introducing "iPig," a very appealing new zero-configuration VPN contender; and describing the many faces of OpenVPN, the "Swiss army knife" of VPN solutions.Episode #20 | 29 Dec 2005 | 54 min.A SERIOUS new Windows vulnerability — and Listener Q&AOn December 28th a serious new Windows vulnerability has appeared and been immediately exploited by a growing number of malicious web sites to install malware. Many worse viruses and worms are expected soon. We start off discussing this and our show notes provides a quick necesary workaround until Microsoft provides a patch. Then we spend the next 45 minutes answering and discussing interesting listener questions.Episode #21 | 05 Jan 2006 | 27 min.The Windows MetaFile (WMF) VulnerabilityLeo and I discuss everything known about the first serious Windows security exploits of the New Year, caused by the Windows MetaFile (WMF) vulnerability. In our show's first guest appearance, we are joined by Ilfak Guilfanov, the developer of the wildly popular -- and very necessary -- temporary patch that was used by millions of users to secure Windows systems while the world waited for Microsoft to respond.Episode #22 | 12 Jan 2006 | 39 min.The Windows MetaFile Backdoor?Leo and I carefully examine the operation of the recently patched Windows MetaFile vulnerability. I describe exactly how it works in an effort to explain why it doesn't have the feeling of another Microsoft "coding error". It has the feeling of something that Microsoft deliberately designed into Windows. Given the nature of what it is, this would make it a remote code execution "backdoor". We will likely never know if this was the case, but the forensic evidence appears to be quite compelling.Episode #23 | 19 Jan 2006 | 29 min.GRC's "MouseTrap"Leo and I "close the backdoor" on the controversial Windows WMF Metafile image code execution (MICE) vulnerability. We discuss everything that's known about it, separate the facts from the spin, explain exactly which Windows versions are vulnerable and why, and introduce a new piece of GRC freeware: MouseTrap which determines whether any Windows or Linux/WINE system has 'MICE'.Episode #24 | 26 Jan 2006 | 40 min.Listener Feedback Q&A #3Leo and I discuss questions asked by listeners of our previous episodes. We tie up loose ends, explore a wide range of topics that are too small to fill their own episode, clarify any confusion from previous installments, and present real world "application notes" for any of the security technologies we have previously discussed.Episode #25 | 02 Feb 2006 | 49 min.How the Internet Works, Part 1During this 49-minute episode, Leo and I briefly discuss the 'Kama Sutra' virus that will become destructive on February 3rd. We briefly discuss PC World Magazine's recent evaluation and ranking of ten top anti-malware systems. And we begin our long-planned 'fundamental technology' series with a two-part close look at the history and detailed operation of the global Internet.Episode #26 | 09 Feb 2006 | 38 min.How the Internet Works, Part 2During this 38-minute, part 2 episode of "How the Internet Works," Leo and I briefly review last week's discussion of the ICMP protocol, then discuss the operational details of the Internet's two main data-carrying protocols: UDP and TCP.Episode #27 | 16 Feb 2006 | 37 min.How Local Area Networks Work, Part 1Having covered the operation of the Internet's WAN (Wide Area Network) technology in the past two weeks, this week Leo and I turn to discussing the way Local Area Networks (LANs) operate and how they interface with the Internet WAN. We address the configuration of subnet masks, default gateways, and DHCP to explain how packets are routed among machines and gateways within a LAN.Episode #28 | 23 Feb 2006 | 40 min.Listener Feedback Q&A #4Leo and I discuss questions asked by listeners of our previous episodes. We tie up loose ends, explore a wide range of topics that are too small to fill their own episode, clarify any confusion from previous installments, and present real world "application notes" for any of the security technologies we have previously discussed.Episode #29 | 02 Mar 2006 | 52 min.Ethernet InsecurityLeo and I discuss the design, operation, and complete lack of security of Ethernet — the LAN technology that virtually all of the world uses. We explain how this lack of security enables a wide range of serious attacks to be perpetrated by any other machine sharing the same Ethernet — such as in a wireless hotspot, within a corporate network, or even in a wired hotel where the entire hotel is one big exploitable Ethernet LAN. GRC's ARP Cache Poisoning page contains a detailed explanation of these problems with diagrams and links to readily available Ethernet ARP exploitation malware.Episode #30 | 09 Mar 2006 | 30 min.Cryptographic IssuesLeo and I open our multi-week discussion of the operation and technology of cryptography. This first week we start by examining the social consequences and ethical implications of common citizens being empowered with freely available cryptographic technology that no force on Earth — no government agency, no corporation, no private individual — can crack within their lifetimes.Episode #31 | 16 Mar 2006 | 53 min.Symmetric Stream CiphersLeo and I continue our multi-episode tour of cryptographic technology. This week we analyze the cryptographic operation of secret decoder rings which we use to develop a solid foundation of cryptographic terminology. We then examine the first of two forms of symmetric, private key cryptography known as symmetric stream ciphers. Two weeks from now, after next week's Q&A episode, we'll discuss the operation of symmetric block ciphers.Episode #32 | 23 Mar 2006 | 55 min.Listener Feedback Q&A #5Leo and I briefly review last week's topic of symmetric stream ciphers, then we pose the first Security Now! Puzzler/BrainTeaser which proposes a secure means for sending encrypted messages where neither party knows the other's key. The Puzzler/BrainTeaser will be answered and resolved at the start of next week's episode. Then, as always in our Q&A episodes, we answer questions and discuss issues raised by listeners.Episode #33 | 30 Mar 2006 | 43 min.Symmetric Block CiphersLeo and I answer last week's Puzzler/BrainTeaser which explored the idea of using two private one-time pad "keys," like two padlocks, to securely convey a message between two parties, neither of whom would have the other's key. Then we continue our ongoing tour of fundamental crypto technology by describing the operation of Symmetric Block Ciphers.Episode #34 | 06 Apr 2006 | 37 min.Public Key CryptographyHaving discussed symmetric (private) key ciphers during the last two weeks, this week Leo and I examine asymmetric key cryptography, commonly known as "Public Key Cryptography". We begin by examining the first public key cryptosystem, known as the Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange, invented in 1976. Then we describe the operation of general purpose public key cryptosystems such as the one invented by RSA.Episode #35 | 13 Apr 2006 | 34 min.Cryptographic HashesHaving covered stream and block symmetric ciphers and asymmetric ciphers, this week Leo and I describe and discuss "cryptographic hashes", the final component to comprise a complete fundamental cryptographic function suite. We discuss the roles of, and attacks against, many common and familiar cryptographic hashes including MD5 and SHA1.Episode #36 | 20 Apr 2006 | 56 min.Listener Feedback Q&A #6Leo and I discuss questions asked by listeners of our previous episodes. We tie up loose ends, explore a wide range of topics that are too small to fill their own episode, clarify any confusion from previous installments, and present real world "application notes" for any of the security technologies we have previously discussed.Episode #37 | 27 Apr 2006 | 36 min.Crypto Series Wrap-upLeo and I conclude our multi-week coverage of the fundamental technologies underlying modern cryptographic systems. We discuss the number of 512-bit primes (two of which are used to form 1024-bit public keys) and the relative difficulty of performing prime factorizations at various bit lengths. We discuss the importance of, and solutions to, private key recovery using varying numbers of trustees. And conclude by explaining the need for, and the operation of, security certificates.Episode #38 | 04 May 2006 | 37 min.Browser SecurityLeo and I discuss the broad topic of web browser security. We examine the implications of running "client-side" code in the form of interpreted scripting languages such as Java, JavaScript, and VBScript, and also the native object code contained within browser "plug-ins"�including Microsoft�s ActiveX. I outline the "zone-based" security model used by IE and explain how I surf with high security under IE, only "lowering my shields" to a website after I've had the chance to look around and decide that the site looks trustworthy.Episode #39 | 11 May 2006 | 50 min.Buffer OverrunsIn one of our more "aggressively technical" episodes, Leo and I discuss the pernicious nature of software security bugs from the programmer's perspective. We explain how "the system stack" functions, then provide a detailed look at exactly how a small programming mistake can allow executable code to be remotely injected into a computer system despite the best intentions of security-conscious programmers.Episode #40 | 18 May 2006 | 71 min.Listener Feedback Q&A #7Leo and I discuss questions asked by listeners of our previous episodes. We tie up loose ends, explore a wide range of topics that are too small to fill their own episode, clarify any confusion from previous installments, and present real world "application notes" for any of the security technologies and issues we have previously discussed.Episode #41 | 25 May 2006 | 40 min.TrueCryptThis week Leo and I explain why we love "TrueCrypt", a fabulous, free, open source, on-the-fly storage encryption tool that is fast, flexible, super-well-engineered, feature packed, and able to provide advanced state of the art encryption services for many applications.Episode #42 | 01 Jun 2006 | 35 min.NAT TraversalLeo and I delve into the inner workings of NAT routers. We examine the trouble NAT routers present to peer-to-peer networks where users are behind NAT routers that block incoming connections, and we explain how a third-party server can be briefly used to help each router get its packets through to the other, thus allowing them to directly connect.Episode #43 | 08 Jun 2006 | 58 min.Open PortsThis week Leo and I cover the broad subject of 'open ports' on Internet-connected machines. We define 'ports', and what it means for them to be open, closed, and stealth. We discuss what opens them, what it means to have ports 'open' from both a functional and security standpoint, how open ports can be detected, whether stealth ports are really more secure than closed ports, and differences between TCP and UDP port detection.Episode #44 | 15 Jun 2006 | 63 min.Listener Feedback Q&A #8Leo and I discuss questions asked by listeners of our previous episodes. We tie up loose ends, explore a wide range of topics that are too small to fill their own episode, clarify any confusion from previous installments, and present real world 'application notes' for any of the security technologies and issues we have previously discussed.Episode #45 | 22 Jun 2006 | 26 min.The 'Hosts' FileLeo and I reveal and describe the 'HOSTS' file, which is hidden away within every Internet-capable machine. We explain how, because it is always the first place a machine looks for the IP address associated with any other machine name, it can be used to easily and conveniently intercept your computer's silent communication with any questionable web sites you�d rather have it not talking to.Episode #46 | 29 Jun 2006 | 36 min.Router LogsLeo and I clarify the confusion surrounding consumer NAT router logging. We explain why routers tend to overreact to Internet 'noise' by 'crying wolf' too often, why the logs produced by consumer routers are unfortunately not very useful, and when paying attention to logs does and does not make sense.Episode #47 | 06 Jul 2006 | 62 min.Internet WeaponryLeo and I trace the history and rapid growth of Internet Denial of Service (DoS) attack techniques, tools, and motivations over the past eight years. We discuss many different types of attacks while focusing upon the distributed bandwidth flooding attacks that are the most destructive and difficult to block.Episode #48 | 13 Jul 2006 | 66 min.Listener Feedback Q&A #9Leo and I discuss questions asked by listeners of our previous episodes. We tie up loose ends, explore a wide range of topics that are too small to fill their own episode, clarify any confusion from previous installments, and present real world 'application notes' for any of the security technologies and issues we have previously discussed.Episode #49 | 20 Jul 2006 | 58 min.The NETSTAT CommandLeo and I describe the operation and use of the universally available "Netstat" command -- available in every desktop operating system from Unix and Linux through Windows and Macs. "Netstat" allows anyone to instantly see what current Internet connections and listening ports any system has open and operating. Mastering the power of this little-known command will greatly empower any security-conscious computer user.Episode #50 | 27 Jul 2006 | 52 min.Virtual Machine History & TechnologyLeo and I discuss the historical beginnings of Virtual Machine technology, from the 40-year-old IBM VM/360 operating system through virtual machine language emulators and today's VMware and Virtual PC solutions. This kicks off a multi-episode discussion of the tremendous security benefits and practical uses of modern day Virtual Machine technology.Episode #51 | 03 Aug 2006 | 45 min.Vista's Virgin StackLeo and I discuss the revelation, courtesy of a Symantec study and report, that Microsoft's forthcoming Vista operating system has a brand new, written from scratch, networking stack supporting old and new network protocols. They consider the sobering security consequences of Microsoft's decision to scrap Window's old but battled-hardened network stack in favor of one that's new and unproven.Episode #52 | 10 Aug 2006 | 49 min.A Busy Week for Security TroublesLeo and I discuss the week's security woes, covering D-Link and Centrino wireless buffer overflows which allow remote wireless compromise of user's networks and machines. We explore the recent revelation that JavaScript can be used to scan an unwitting user's internal network to take over their equipment. We talk about the purchase of Hamachi by LogMeIn and how Botnets are being used to create fraudulent eBay users with perfect "feedback" in order to defraud even careful eBay users. And more!Episode #53 | 17 Aug 2006 | 40 min.VMwareLeo and I briefly recap the concepts and technology of Virtual Machine (VM) technology, then thoroughly explore the free and commercial offerings of the earliest company to pioneer Intel-based high-performance virtual machines, VMware. We focus upon the free VMware Player which allows Virtual Machine 'Appliances' to be 'played' on any supported platform. They examine the value of these VMware solutions for creating highly secure 'sandbox' containment environments as well as for cover-your-tracks privacy.Episode #54 | 24 Aug 2006 | 52 min.Blue PillLeo and I continue our ongoing discussion of the security implications and applications of virtualization and virtual machines. This week we examine the "Blue Pill" OS subversion technology made possible by AMD�s next generation virtualization hardware support. We debunk the hype surrounding this interesting and worrisome capability, placing it into a larger security and virtualization context.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks rbdietz! :thumbsup:Another great set of shows is The TWiT Podcast Network with Leo Laporte with a rotating cast from TechTV's The Screensavers and then some!The TWiT Podcast Network includes the following shows: * this WEEK in TECH (the show that started it all) * Security Now * Inside the Net * Daily Giz Wiz * FLOSS Weekly * Futures in Biotech * KFI Tech Guy * MacBreak * this WEEK in MEDIA * MacBreak WeeklyGreat Fun!