Linux course started

réjean

Check your email to see if you have received an invitation or reminder for the Introduction to Linux Course or go to https://courses.edx.org and login. Having taken other courses it might be a little easier for me but let me know if you need help getting the course starting.

Guest LilBambi

Got my email this morning! I sure hope they have optimized their videos.

Another EdX course on Natural Disasters had humongous videos. I was not able to get them all and had to drop out ... well not drop out entirely. I am still hoping I can eventually get them. But have had to put it on hold.

Edited by LilBambi

securitybreach

I am on the third of tab of the first section and so far there have been two 01:30 videos.

Another EdX course on Natural Disasters had humongous videos. I was not able to get them all and had to drop out ... well not drop out entirely. I am still hoping I can eventually get them. But have had to put it on hold.

The courses I have been taking always give me the option between full browser screen or not and the speed;

ScYUrGpA.jpg

Edited by réjean

Some courses like the one on extoplanets have an average of 10-12 min because they need that long to explain equations.

And the beginning of the Linux course is really a small introduction. Not much to get excited about. Hopefully it will come later.

Guest LilBambi

Unfortunately, the one I took did not. It was the one size to download. And I had to download them elsewhere and bring them home for the time to do the course.

May of the videos on this one was upwards of 100MB each!

On other courses elsewhere they are 1/5th of that for similar lengths.

securitybreach

I'm snagging all of the media for you and will put it on gdrive so you can snag at your convenience. I'll also send it next time.

How does one get on this mailing list you speak of? Are these free courses?

Enquiring minds (mainly mine :D ) want to know :)

securitybreach

How does one get on this mailing list you speak of? Are these free courses?

Enquiring minds (mainly mine :D ) want to know :)

Intro to Linux is normally a $2,400 course from the Linux Foundation, but it's being offered for free now on edX. If you've ever wanted to learn how to use the open source operating system, there's no better time than now.

http://lifehacker.co...x-fo-1612770920

It was announced back in February (I think)

• Like 2

I think, but I could be wrong, that we can audit all the courses from edX for free and that if you pay for them you can get a certificate.

securitybreach

Bookmarked the edx page. Life's too crazy for me right now, but maybe in the future. *sigh*

I am not for sure how long it will be offered. You shouldn't have a problem with a most of it.

It is a self paced thing. You can take as short or as long as like.

Signed up. Don't know if I'll ever get to it, but I did sign up.
  • Like 2

Guest LilBambi

Signed up. Don't know if I'll ever get to it, but I did sign up.

Excellent. I have a course or two I haven't been able to finish. It's not a problem. Do what you can, when you can. It's self paced and you don't need to worry about it either way. :thumbsup:

Josh did you notice at the end of Chapter 4 when you open Labs and download the lab assignments they are in Microsoft Word?

aGpUQGyR.jpg

look at the top of the page.

Edited by réjean

securitybreach

Josh did you notice at the end of Chapter 4 when you open Labs and download the lab assignments they are in Microsoft Word?

Yes and the reason being is that this course is made for newcomers who probably run Windows or OSX and wish to learn about Linux. These are easily opened in LibreOffice and OpenOffice for those who already use LInux. If they put the document in an open format, those window's and mac users would not be able to open the documents so it makes sense to put these in the common Word format.

• Like 1