KDE Plasma 5

sunrat

Interesting article on the current state and future of the new KDE Plasma 5 release. I'm looking forward to it.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/kde-plasma-5-for-those-linux-users-undecided-on-the-kernels-future/

It turns out that the incredibly bumpy move to KDE 4 really did lay the groundwork for a better future—we are now in that future.
  • Like 1

securitybreach

Nice article but who comes up with these stupid titles? "For those Linux users undecided on the kernel’s future"

First of all, kde has absolutely nothing at all to do with the kernel. Userland and Kernel space are two completely different aspects of Linux. If they would of called it. "For those Linux users undecided on it's future", that would of been fine as they are using Linux as a broad term for the both kernel and userland(apps, environments, etc). But to mention the kernel in the title was very stupid of the author in my opinion.

Now the article itself was beautifully written. I read all 3 pages looking for a mention of the kernel or something related to it but found nothing. I am too the point that I think the writers are not the ones who come up with the titles as this is just pitiful and embarrassing..

Sorry for the rant....

Also, KDE5 has been available on Arch for a few weeks now and is also now in the Testing repo.

Now the article itself was beautifully written.

Yeah all the KDE articles are beautifully written makes KDE sound like a fully polished and state of the art product. That is what I thought when I first read about KDE way back and was what persuaded me to try it out. Seems to me that they could do with less article polishing and a bit more product polishing to me. To be fair I have not tried KDE for a while so maybe they have a neat shiny stable KDE this time. :fish:

• Like 1