5 heroes of the Linux world

securitybreach

securitybreach
Who are these people, seen and unseen, whose work affects all of us every day?

High-flying penguins

penguin-100599348-gallery.idge.jpg

Image courtesy Christopher Michel/Flickr

Linux and open source is driven by passionate people who write best-of-breed software and then release the code to the public so anyone can use it, without any strings attached. (Well, there is one string attached and that’s licence.)

Who are these people? These heroes of the Linux world, whose work affects all of us every day. Allow me to introduce you.

Klaus Knopper

swap-klaus-100599357-orig.jpg

Klaus Knopper, an Austrian developer who lives in Germany, is the founder of Knoppix and Adriana Linux, which he developed for his blind wife.

Knoppix holds a very special place in heart of those Linux users who started using Linux before Ubuntu came along. What makes Knoppix so special is that it popularized the concept of Live CD. Unlike Windows or Mac OS X, you could run the entire operating system from the CD without installing anything on the system. It allowed new users to test Linux on their systems without formatting the hard drive. The live feature of Linux alone contributed heavily to its popularity........

http://www.itworld.com/article/2955001/linux/5-heros-of-the-linux-world.html#slide2

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Well most distros ships with pulseaudio although I have yet to migrate from ALSA.

Don't get too torqued up. I was just feckin' with you. Lennart Pottering is probably a very nice fellow. He's contributed quite a bit to Linux and OpenSource over the years. :yes:

• Like 1