Windows Apps and their Linux equiv.

Prelude76

Prelude 76,Great links! :lol: I'm definitely going to make WINE work and try Dreamweaver MX. WINE comes with the Red Hat 7.3 distro so I can always try that. My problem in Red Hat 8 was that I didn't install the SANE libraries for GTK and WINE wouldn't compile for me.

Prelude, thanks for great links.I will find this to be very helpfull now when I am in "newbie" phase of my Linux testing.Good job! :lol:

no prob, folks. now if someone can just make my day here at work go a bit faster so i can actually try out the links i'm reading. :lol:

Peachy have you tried the Dreamweaver on Linux yet I am curious about this? I am thinking about trying Wine too. I hear a lot about VM Ware also - wondering what the difference is myself or if works better than the other.

Just came back from next door....Neighbour is a newbie. Showed him the alternatives from linuxshop and installed XPde desktop + IE + MediaPlayer on RH8. Everything worked without hiccups.back to gcc....bye.

Peachy have you tried the Dreamweaver on Linux yet I am curious about this?  I am thinking about trying Wine too.  I hear a lot about VM Ware also - wondering what the difference is myself or if works better than the other.
Not yet, I will try it tonight or in the next day or so.

Peachy could you let me know how it goes and any difficulties before I try it? For some reason running windows stuff in linux makes me a tad nervous.

Peachy could you let me know how it goes and any difficulties before I try it?  For some reason running windows stuff in linux makes me a tad nervous.
reading some of the WineX ports, i dont think you have much to worry about. Apparently, after copying over serveral key .DLLs from Windows boxes, and then WineX does the launching, ties in the .DLLs needed and runs the Windows program. Therefore, can't see ported programs screwing up your Linux setup at all.Agent007. Did you say you got Media Player runniing on Linux? is it version 9? I was having trouble running DiVX and Xvid movies. It's either recompile Xine player with codecs patched in, or try to get Media Player running thru WineX. Anything to avoid having to boot into windows. :P I'm gonna try out Neroburn tonite too, in Linux. I know you can make CDs easily in SuSE, but i'm used to applying the cross fading filters in neroburn to my trance mixes.

Well, I installed Wine-20030508 on my Red Hat 8.0 box and after a few false starts and then finally figuring out how the config file worked, I got Notepad to work! :P Next step, Dreamweaver. Followed the instructions from Franky's site, but ran into a problem installing DCOM95. The installer complained that a new version was already installed and if I wanted to install this one I had to uninstall the other one. Huh? My guess is that DCOM95 was built into the source somehow. Not sure. So, anyway, I decided to try installing Dreamweaver none the less. It looked good; the installer was up and running and was copying files to the fake c:\ drive and I was thinking, "Yeah, baby!" Spoke too soon. The installer failed, complained about something that I can't remember because it was 1 a.m. Now, the web site said they successfully did it with the build from 20021031, so, get the source and configure && make && make install && go to bed. Woke up this morning, everything looked great. Tried to load Notepad but I could see in my terminal window a little error message. Not good. Realized I didn't cleanly uninstall the first build. Cleaned and recompiled the older one this morning, but no go. So, I'm circling around the solution, but haven't got it. What I plan to do is to clean all remnants of WINE on the system and start over. Wish me luck.

That is quiet a work-out Peachy ! Well, keeps you of the street doesn´t it ? :DWish you bundles of LUCK ! :) Bruno

Hey Bruno,I noticed in Mandrake 9.1 when you add a normal user during the install it asks you if you want it to have extra rights like compiling source. Also, when you login with the Linux-secure choice from LILO you can't login as root, but you have to log in as a normal user and then su to root. How does this work? What groups are the normal users put in to give it those extra privileges. Red Hat doesn't do that but I'm trying to run the wineinstall script but I can't run it as root and as a normal user I don't have privileges to the /root home folder, unless I give it explicit rights to do so, which is not good security practice. Any ideas?

Agent007.  Did you say you got Media Player runniing on Linux?  is it version 9?  I was having trouble running DiVX and Xvid movies.  It's either recompile Xine player with codecs patched in, or try to get Media Player running thru WineX.  Anything to avoid having to boot into windows.  :)
It was an older version....Havent seen v9 till now. DiVX plays fine on mplayer. Xine is soooo ancient compared to mplayer. The skins are great. mplayer seems to support every codec out there!http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/

PeachyMy system has only one user: bruno ( UID 501 ) and funny enough is part of the group: bruno ( UID 501 ). My problem is that I could ¨shutdown -h now¨ the system as bruno in 9.0 and not anymore in 9.1 ! Still working on the sudo file to get it sorted ! But think the system is haunted !:) Bruno

bravo, Peachy! bravo! *clap clap clap*i didnt get a chance to try it out myself just yet, but seeing your screenshot, I won't stop til i have it too. :unsure:

Okay, so I was able to repeat this experiment (ate my own dog food, so to speak) on a second machine. Folks, this is not ready for prime time though. It behaves erratically in drawing of windows and objects and there is a Javascript bug when you want to create a Site. I may try this on a newer build of WINE since I was using the 2002-10-31 build.

Dang no fair - I installed Wine but when ever I tried execute a wine command it says something like /tmp/.wine/server not a directory. I don't know what is wrong or if it is RedHat 9.0 issue.If I go in and make the directory .wine/server than it says /tmp/.wine/server/scokets not a directory so than I create that directory and it says the directory isnt a socket -- so I am like huh?

Dang no fair - I installed Wine but when ever I tried execute a wine command it says something like  /tmp/.wine/server  not a directory.  I don't know what is wrong or if it is RedHat 9.0 issue.If I go in and make the directory  .wine/server than it says /tmp/.wine/server/scokets not a directory  so than I create that directory and it says the directory isnt a socket  -- so I am like huh?
RedHat has certain issues with wine.......Thats why it wasnt bundled with the ditro.

RedHat has certain issues with wine.......Thats why it wasnt bundled with the ditro.
Red Hat 7.3 was the last Red Hat distro that included WINE. It works, but not with Dreamweaver. I was using Red Hat 8.0 and WINE-20021031.

Dang no fair - I installed Wine but when ever I tried execute a wine command it says something like  /tmp/.wine/server  not a directory.  I don't know what is wrong or if it is RedHat 9.0 issue.If I go in and make the directory  .wine/server than it says /tmp/.wine/server/scokets not a directory  so than I create that directory and it says the directory isnt a socket  -- so I am like huh?
Check your config file. It sounds like one of your [Drive X] sections is messed up. Can you post it here? You did look at it right? :o It should be in your .wine/config file.

you want the whole config file posted?
sure why not... It'll give us everything to look at so we'll hopefully figure out where the problem lies. :o

Red Hat 7.3 was the last Red Hat distro that included WINE. It works, but not with Dreamweaver. I was using Red Hat 8.0 and WINE-20021031.
Oops! I was referring to RH9 only! :o

Oops! I was referring to RH9 only! :o
Red Hat 9 uses libc 2.3 by default. WINE is still relies on libc 2.2 and I believe you'd have to install libc 2.2 in RH9 to get it to work.