Gkrellm and lm_sensors

GolfProRM

Okay... just got Mandrake reinstalled and setup better now... I need to figure out the gkrellm and lm_sensors... For some reason, I don't think I have either installed on this machine... gkrellm doesn't run on it's own, and I can't urpmi lm_sensors... a bit of help here?? :D

Ryan, Both gkrellm and lm_sensors are on your CD´s ! Are you looking in the right place ? Mandrake Control Center, Software Mangement, rpmdrake install. Type gkrellm or sensors and it will show the packages. ( just type ¨sensors¨ and you will see 4 packages; liblm_sensors1-2.7.0-2mdk, liblm_sensors1-devel-2.7.0-2mdk, liblm_sensors1-static-devel-2.7.0-2mdk and lm_sensors1-2.7.0-2mdk ) ( What version Gkrellm did you get from the link you gave ? ) The versions you download should match with the distro you use. Do check Gkrellm again in the MCC just type ¨gkrellm¨ it should give 5 packages ! :D Bruno

Shoot... that was easy... ran sensors-detect, got everything setup and it works great! :DNow for the monitors :D

• 6 months later...

Back to the question of Gkrellm and lm_sensors, it appears that MDK 9.2 CD's do nothave this software as part of the package? I did a search in MCC, RPmDrake andno results were found. Does this piece of software have to downloaded from 'www.Gkrellm.net' or did I take a wrong turn someplace?

I believe they are in the contributions CDs now. that means you don't get them in your disks unless you buy the power pack. The links point to where to get them. They sure are handy to keep around.

As far as I remember it´s on CD3 . . try searching for "lm_sensors" . . or just "sensors" . . . . It certainly is not a plugin or package of Gkrellm . . it only displays in Gkrellm.If you still can´t find it, set up your sources and look again: URPMI Sources in Mandrake 9.2:rolleyes: Bruno

First, I have third party MDK 9.2 CD's. I searched all CD's and located lm-sensors-2.8.0-4mdk.i586.rpm on CD#3. I attempted to install rpmbut was denied because of a required file 'librrd.so.0'. Would the factthat I have updated my programs after the initial installation of MDK 9.2,have some effect on dependency requests. Example, I already ran intoa request for 'drakxtools-9.2-16mdk.i586' when in fact I now haveversion 'drakxtools-9.2-19.3.92mdk.i586'? I guess this is my continued effort to learn Linux and how to managefiles. Thanks for the help everyone. :rolleyes:

I have all the updates. I went and installed the LM sensors this morning without a hitch. Are you using the Mandrake Control Center? It makes it a breeze. It should take care of any dependency problems. Mandrake Control Center -->Software-->Add Software--> Sensors in the search box. Click on the boxes listed from search and press install. That should do it.It really does not matter if they are third party CDs or not. They should all come from the same ISOs.

As before, I again tried MCC, add software, search and entered 'sensors'. Of the twopresented I chose 'ksensors-0.7.2-8mdk.i586' and received a (unsatisfied libsensors.so.2).Should these sensors be added manually into the plugins file of Gkrellm as indicated ina previous post? Why aren't these dependencies being picked up automatically? :unsure:

HiMaking things a bit clear . . . . .

I searched all CD's and locatedlm-sensors-2.8.0-4mdk.i586.rpm on CD#3
If it´s on CD3 you should be able to find it in the MCC and let the MCC take care of it´s dependencies . . . . . once installed though you will have to configure it, it does not work out of the box . . if I remember well you have to run "sensors-detect" first . . it will guide you through the setup program and give you the scripts you have to add to a few files. ( read the docs in /usr/share/doc/lm_sensors )After you have gone through these steps you will NOT find it in the plugins for Gkrellm but in the general section of the Gkrellm config. . . . when not configured you will see there is a sensors section, but it will not be active. Once you did go through the steps above you will see that the same section will have changed slightly and you will be able to unfold the sections and set up the temps.This Thread has a better discribtion of how to set up the sensors . . . the thread is called "Health food for Tweakers" and there is a reason . . because it´s not always the most easy tweak ( depends on your mobo ):unsure: Bruno

Felt it appropriate to get back with an update on the software installation problem. Rootcause of the problem was caused by my loss of CD1, CD2, and CD3 as sources in MCC >Software Media Manager. This prevented access to lm_sensors file on CD3. The sourceissue is resolved and the lm_sensors file is installed, now the task of setting up the sensors.That willl take some additional reading inorder to complete the set-ups. :D

If your motherboard is not on the list, do not panic. Mine was not on the list but I went through the instructions in the files that went with it. I simply followed the directions and read everything CAREFULLY and it installed easily. I had to pay attention to what it found on each section and input accordingly. I might have just been very lucky this time, I don't know. :devil:

How does one disable sound temporarily? While in the process of setting uplm_sensors and stepping through the process of running 'modprobe i2c-proc'and 'sensors-detect' ; listing necessary module options to add to > /etc/modules.confa shutdown was necessary until the next day. After restarting my computer andloading MDK 9.2 I received a sound alarm just as boot completed and it continueduntil I shut down. If I can shut off the sound until I complete the module inputs,hopefully once the appropriate modules are in place and sensors set, my soundcan be re-activitated. I have may fingers crossed that I have all the necessarymodule information that will complete the setup of lm_sensors; and that one ofthe sensors is causing the sound alarm?? :D

Probably one of the sensors is causing it. Did you try goint to KMix or AUMix (which every you are using) and puttign the sound on mute? Or did you try turning off the speakers?Those will only work if the sound is through your speakers. If it is an internal alarm within the CPU you are in a whole new game. I don't know of a way to turn those off other than fixing the problem. Then again, most of those tend to be beeps.

Hi rpizNever saw this happening before . . . . very strange !Try to shut down the artserver to begin with: Menu > Configuration > KDE > Sound . . . . and log out and log in again. Then go through the sensors detect again and see where you might have made the mistake.If the sound still does not stop, go to /etc/modules.conf and comment out ( put a # in the biginning of the line ) the two lines that are for the sound modules, and reboot the computer.As ultimate method you can just go to the MCC and uninstall the lm_sensors again.Keep us posted and let us know what helped . . . :P:rolleyes: Bruno

Bruno; What ultimately worked, to shut down the sound, was a removal of lm_sensors softwarein MCC. I then re-installed lm-sensors and I am in the process of setting it up; but need somehelp with that part. Upon listing 'sensors-detect' as root (listed below), the > /etc/modules.confhas been changed. The remaining issue is the modules that have to be added (per instructionsin the listing below, from 'sensors-detect') into /etc/rc* file? I am not certain as to what filethey are referencing as /etc/rc*? Would it be an existing /etc/rc file or that a new one iscreated? Lastly, would there be additional modules other than those listed in the 'sensors-detect'file listed below? My board as listed is a Asus P4B533 ACPI Bios revision 1006. /etc/[rp@localhost rp]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rp]# modprobe i2c-proc[root@localhost rp]# sensors-detect This program will help you to determine which I2C/SMBus modules you need to load to use lm_sensors most effectively. You need to have done a `make install', issued a `depmod -a' and made sure `/etc/conf.modules' (or `/etc/modules.conf') contains the appropriate module path before you can use some functions of this utility. Read doc/modules for more information. Also, you need to be `root', or at least have access to the /dev/i2c[-/]* files for some things. You can use prog/mkdev/mkdev.sh to create these /dev files if you do not have them already. If you have patched your kernel and have some drivers built-in you can safely answer NO if asked to load some modules. In this case, things may seem a bit confusing, but they will still work. BIOS vendor (ACPI): ASUS System vendor (DMI): System Manufacturer BIOS version (DMI): ASUS P4B533 ACPI BIOS Revision 1006 We can start with probing for (PCI) I2C or SMBus adapters. You do not need any special privileges for this. Do you want to probe now? (YES/no): yesProbing for PCI bus adapters...Use driver `i2c-i801' for device 00:1f.3: Intel 82801DB ICH4Probe succesfully concluded. We will now try to load each adapter module in turn.Module `i2c-i801' already loaded. Do you now want to be prompted for non-detectable adapters? (yes/NO): yesLoad `i2c-elektor' (say NO if built into your kernel)? (YES/no): yes/lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-elektor.o.gz: init_module: No such deviceHint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters. You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesgmodprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-elektor.o.gz failedmodprobe: insmod i2c-elektor failedLoading failed... skipping.Load `i2c-elv' (say NO if built into your kernel)? (YES/no): yes/lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-elv.o.gz: init_module: No such deviceHint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters. You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesgmodprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-elv.o.gz failedmodprobe: insmod i2c-elv failedLoading failed... skipping.Load `i2c-philips-par' (say NO if built into your kernel)? (YES/no): yesModule loaded succesfully.Load `i2c-velleman' (say NO if built into your kernel)? (YES/no): yes/lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-velleman.o.gz: init_module: No such deviceHint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters. You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesgmodprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-velleman.o.gz failedmodprobe: insmod i2c-velleman failedLoading failed... skipping. To continue, we need module `i2c-dev' to be loaded. If it is built-in into your kernel, you can safely skip this.i2c-dev is already loaded. We are now going to do the adapter probings. Some adapters may hang halfway through; we can't really help that. Also, some chips will be double detected; we choose the one with the highest confidence value in that case. If you found that the adapter hung after probing a certain address, you can specify that address to remain unprobed. That often includes address 0x69 (clock chip).Next adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at e800 (Non-I2C SMBus adapter)Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): yesClient found at address 0x08Client found at address 0x2dProbing for `Myson MTP008'... Failed!Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78'... Failed!Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78-J'... Failed!Probing for `National Semiconductor LM79'... Failed!Probing for `National Semiconductor LM80'... Failed!Probing for `National Semiconductor LM85'... Failed!Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1027 or ADT7463'... Failed!Probing for `SMSC EMC6D100 and EMC6D101'... Failed!Probing for `National Semiconductor LM87'... Failed!Probing for `Winbond W83781D'... Failed!Probing for `Winbond W83782D'... Failed!Probing for `Winbond W83783S'... Failed!Probing for `Winbond W83791D'... Failed!Probing for `Winbond W83627HF'... Failed!Probing for `Asus AS99127F'... Success! (confidence 8, driver `w83781d'), other addresses: 0x48 0x49Probing for `Winbond W83L784R/AR'... Failed!Probing for `Genesys Logic GL518SM Revision 0x00'... Failed!Probing for `Genesys Logic GL518SM Revision 0x80'... Failed!Probing for `Genesys Logic GL520SM'... Failed!Probing for `Genesys Logic GL525SM'... Failed!Probing for `Analog Devices ADM9240'... Failed!Probing for `Dallas Semiconductor DS1780'... Failed!Probing for `National Semiconductor LM81'... Failed!Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1026'... Failed!Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1025'... Failed!Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1024'... Failed!Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1022'... Failed!Probing for `Texas Instruments THMC50'... Failed!Probing for `ITE IT8705F / IT8712F / SiS 950'... Failed!Client found at address 0x44Client found at address 0x48Probing for `National Semiconductor LM75'... Failed!Probing for `Dallas Semiconductor DS1621'... Failed!Probing for `Philips Semiconductors PCF8591'... Success! (confidence 1, driver `pcf8591')Client found at address 0x49Probing for `National Semiconductor LM75'... Success! (confidence 4, driver `lm75')Probing for `Dallas Semiconductor DS1621'... Success! (confidence 3, driver `ds1621')Probing for `Philips Semiconductors PCF8591'... Success! (confidence 1, driver `pcf8591')Client found at address 0x50Probing for `Serial EEPROM'... Success! (confidence 8, driver `eeprom')Probing for `DDC monitor'... Failed! Some chips are also accessible through the ISA bus. ISA probes are typically a bit more dangerous, as we have to write to I/O ports to do this. Do you want to scan the ISA bus? (YES/no): yesProbing for `National Semiconductor LM78' Trying address 0x0290... Failed!Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78-J' Trying address 0x0290... Failed!Probing for `National Semiconductor LM79' Trying address 0x0290... Failed!Probing for `Winbond W83781D' Trying address 0x0290... Failed!Probing for `Winbond W83782D' Trying address 0x0290... Failed!Probing for `Winbond W83627HF' Trying address 0x0290... Failed!Probing for `Winbond W83697HF' Trying address 0x0290... Failed!Probing for `Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595' Trying general detect... Failed!Probing for `VIA Technologies VT82C686 Integrated Sensors' Trying general detect... Failed!Probing for `VIA Technologies VT8231 Integrated Sensors' Trying general detect... Failed!Probing for `ITE IT8705F / IT8712F / SiS 950' Trying address 0x0290... Failed!Probing for `IPMI BMC KCS' Trying address 0x0ca0... Failed!Probing for `IPMI BMC SMIC' Trying address 0x0ca8... Failed! Some Super I/O chips may also contain sensors. Super I/O probes are typically a bit more dangerous, as we have to write to I/O ports to do this. Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): yesProbing for `SMSC 47M1xx Super IO Fan Sensors' Failed! (0x87)Probing for `VT1211 Super IO Sensors' Failed! (0x87)Probing for `Winbond W83627HF Super IO Sensors' Failed! (0x87)Probing for `Winbond W83627THF Super IO Sensors' Failed! (0x87)Probing for `Winbond W83697HF Super IO Sensors' Failed! (0x87) Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done. Just press ENTER to continue:Driver `w83781d' (should be inserted): Detects correctly: * Bus `SMBus I801 adapter at e800' (Non-I2C SMBus adapter) Busdriver `i2c-i801', I2C address 0x2d (and 0x48 0x49) Chip `Asus AS99127F' (confidence: 8)Driver `pcf8591' (may not be inserted): Misdetects: * Bus `SMBus I801 adapter at e800' (Non-I2C SMBus adapter) Busdriver `i2c-i801', I2C address 0x48 Chip `Philips Semiconductors PCF8591' (confidence: 1) * Bus `SMBus I801 adapter at e800' (Non-I2C SMBus adapter) Busdriver `i2c-i801', I2C address 0x49 Chip `Philips Semiconductors PCF8591' (confidence: 1)Driver `lm75' (may not be inserted): Misdetects: * Bus `SMBus I801 adapter at e800' (Non-I2C SMBus adapter) Busdriver `i2c-i801', I2C address 0x49 Chip `National Semiconductor LM75' (confidence: 4)Driver `ds1621' (may not be inserted): Misdetects: * Bus `SMBus I801 adapter at e800' (Non-I2C SMBus adapter) Busdriver `i2c-i801', I2C address 0x49 Chip `Dallas Semiconductor DS1621' (confidence: 3)Driver `eeprom' (should be inserted): Detects correctly: * Bus `SMBus I801 adapter at e800' (Non-I2C SMBus adapter) Busdriver `i2c-i801', I2C address 0x50 Chip `Serial EEPROM' (confidence: 8) I will now generate the commands needed to load the I2C modules. Sometimes, a chip is available both through the ISA bus and an I2C bus. ISA bus access is faster, but you need to load an additional driver module for it. If you have the choice, do you want to use the ISA bus or the I2C/SMBus (ISA/smbus)? smbusTo make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to either/etc/modules.conf or /etc/conf.modules:#----cut here----# I2C module optionsalias char-major-89 i2c-d#----cut here----To load everything that is needed, add this to some /etc/rc* file:#----cut here----# I2C adapter driversmodprobe i2c-i801# I2C chip driversmodprobe w83781dmodprobe eeprom# sleep 2 # optional/usr/local/bin/sensors -s # recommended#----cut here----WARNING! If you have some things built into your kernel, the list abovewill contain too many modules. Skip the appropriate ones! You really shouldtry these commands right now to make sure everything is working properly.Monitoring programs won't work until it's done.Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no): yesCopy prog/init/lm_sensors.init to /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensorsfor initialization at boot time.[root@localhost rp]#I truely appreciate your help. ;)

Sorry my friend for the late response . . . . I think this is looking good . . . I understand that you managed to add

# I2C module optionsalias char-major-89 i2c-d

to your /etc/modules.confAnd the last step would be:

# I2C adapter driversmodprobe i2c-i801# I2C chip driversmodprobe w83781dmodprobe eeprom# sleep 2 # optional/usr/local/bin/sensors -s # recommended

The place to add that is: /etc/rc.d/rc.local . . . . just open it in the vi editor and add it at the bottom . . . Hope this were all the questions, if not let me know.:'( Bruno

I added the remaining items to /etc/rc.d/rc.local... during the whole time that the alarmwas sounding as indicated in a previous post. After completing the entries I restarted my computer hoping that the new modules, as installed, would take care of the alarm.The alarm continued to sound, so I went back and uninstalled lm_sensors. This did not eliminate the alarm after rebooting. Now, the question remains as to whatdirection I should take to eliminate the alarm and yet have the opportunity to setuplm_sensors effectively. This is definitely a peculiar situation with this alarm? ;)

This is very strange Rpiz . . . wonder what is going on . . .You have not set up any alarms in Gkrellm yet did you ? . . . . . and when you type "sensors" in a console you should get readings ( just install them again for a minute ) . . what does it say there about alarms ?Also before un-installing the lm_sensors did you remove the additioned lines in "/etc/modules.conf" and "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" ?Please remind me again what mobo you have.B) Bruno

It is peculiar. After re-installing lm_sensors I attempted to complete the installation of the appropriate modules in '/etc/modules.conf' and '/etc/rc.d/rc.local'.I then restarted the computer to effectively void the alarm. Upon restart the alarmcontinued, therefore I followed with the removal of lm_sensors software. At thatpoint I did not remove the abovementioned modules as yet. I just shut down forthe evening, to begin the search for the next step in the resolutiion of this problem.I have the 'Asus P4B533 ACPI Bios Rev. 1006' motherbooard. Even if I removed the modules previously installed in '/etc/modules.conf' and ' /etc/rc.d/rc.local'I would have the problem of the sounding alarm as I had before their installation. Now, I wassuccessful in shutting down the alarm, as indicated in a previous post, by removing lm_sensorsprior to making another attempt at completing the entire installation again.Further, I did not make adjustments in Gkrellm prior to the installation of lm_sensors or themodules. Would it make any difference if we started this entire procedure from scratch? Just where is the flaw in this install?

At this point I elected to remove Gkrellm and lm_sensors along with the modules added to'/etc/modules.conf' and '/etc/rc.d/rc.local'. By doing so I was able to disable the soundingalarm. So! This may indicate a problem with the installation of Gkrellm or one of themodules. I will re-install Gkrellm clean and see if it activates the alarm. Then I will trythe installation of lm_sensors and the modules again, hopefully not triggering the alarm.Wish me luck! :D

Hi RpizYou actually do not need Gkrellm for the sensors in the first place . . see if you can get them running without . . . ( ? ) . . you can always install Gkrellm once you got the sensors sorted out.Here is what I sugest . . go through the routine of the sensors install again and add the lines to the 2 files but: comment them to begin with:

# I2C module options# alias char-major-89 i2c-d

and

# I2C adapter drivers# modprobe i2c-i801# I2C chip drivers# modprobe w83781d# modprobe eeprom# sleep 2 # optional# /usr/local/bin/sensors -s # recommended

Then reboot the computer . . there should be no alarm . . . . take the comments you placed away one by one and reboot each time you do so.If, for example, "modprobe w83781d" is the one that causes the alarm, place the comment back again . . Now suppose we have it running, and only thye w83781d is still commented . . . open a console and type$ sensorsYou will get readings . . . hwat readings are there and waht readings do we miss ?:D Bruno

I removed Gkrellm and reinstalled lm_sensors. I then re-added the modules to theappropriate files and commented out the modules. I rebooted and the alarmsounded. I also noticed that 'Kalarm' icon appears in the bottom taskbar next tothe clock? Is this program involved with the installation of lm_sensors, and would it have some effect on the alarm that I am getting? :)

Hi RpizNo Kalarm has only a calender function and has no effect on the sensors !Did you try to comment/uncomment those lines one by one? And what lines where active ( uncommented ) as the alarm sounded ? You will have to reboot a few times to try the possible combinations.;) Bruno