2.6 Kernel

kamicota

Wise AdviceAre there NO Primary Distros that already come with the 2.6 kernel???As I have Suse 8.2 on it's own drive 10G for now, I am going to try Xandos desktop 2.0 and Vector linux on another (Hopefully, havent tried it yet) a Yast 10G partioned drive. May before Xandros arrives may an opportunity to try Mandrake???Although mandrake does not support the Epson c64 Printer this may not be a wise choice??? B) :D colin

If you have not tried Mandrake yet . . this might be your chance . . . and there might be an Epson driver that will suit the C64 . . maybe not 100% but still it might be good enough to print . . . And it gives you the chance to see the new KDE and use the 2.6 kernel in a Mandrake version that was specially made to run the 2.6 :DB) Bruno

Yeah :D BrunoAM Downloading it NOW :) HAVE tried mandrake before in fact it was the First I tried and migrated to Suse for the printer support.I have links to the drivers for the c64 from the forum so it may just work.And now I am excited that I could have this on before my friends Vector Soho is here and xandros 2.0Who knows may even just stay with it but we will have to see.Any advice on size of hard drive space would be needed with NO Apache??? :blink: TX :) BrunoColin :D

Any advice on size of hard drive space would be needed with NO Apache???
Anything between 5 and 10 G . . . but even 3 will do however that is a bit tight.:) BrunoHope you're using Linux to download and burn this time ?

Great :D Tranquilo have the link in my linux/c64fileWell Bruno :) looks like the F c10G can still be used as a 5/6G for Mandrake and 4/5G for trials of Vector and Xandos or vice versa :) If I decide to uninstall Sue 8.2 off my other 10G drive and continue :D :) :D Having fun with several distros HOW :blink: do I go about the uninstall???Colin :D

kamicota: i also find it strange that there are no major distros with 2.6 as default yet. You'd think that once it's released they would put out a new verion of their distro... but i guess that wouldn't leave much time to test it :)

NOW the FEAR :) :D sets in--->>>JUST by a chance in an INSTALL of Knoppix from the LIVE CD to my hard drive and bailing out with the ext2/ext3 etc Suse NOW Found and used my Router. While I had tried :) :blink: :D for around a week and could not get it to recognise it.It looks as if :D :D :) I ma probanbly going to go through that heartache or is that Challenge/Opportunity :o :) :D ONCE moreCan't :D :D :D :D wait ?????????Colin :D

Yeah Sonic DragonI was HOPING B) but guess NOT.In the link for Mandrake 10 Beta I got the 3 cd ISO's & Check sum & another iso CLC-2.0-i586.iso & checksumWHAT is this iso anyone know, is it a live cd B) Colin :w00t:

oops :lol: another super bowl half time questionIn Kget where I downloaded all these iso.s Some show me 99% download and Stalled but when I check the folder the REQUIRED amount of MB's are in the download Am I paranoid :'( :lol: hereColin :D

JUST by a chance in an INSTALL of Knoppix from the LIVE CD to my hard drive and bailing out with the ext2/ext3 etc Suse NOW Found and used my Router. While I had tried    for around a week and could not get it to recognise it.
Well isn't that nice :lol:
WHAT is this iso anyone know, is it a live cd
No, i don't think it's a live cd. I'm pretty sure you have to install it to the hard drive.
In Kget where I downloaded all these iso.s Some show me 99% download and Stalled but when I check the folder the REQUIRED amount of MB's are in the download
That's happened to me to... in other programs than Kget also. Maybe it has something to do with the files being so big? I don't know... Anyway, i guess the only way to know for sure if the download is good is to run the check sum on it.

I have THIS--->>>BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----Hash: SHA1ec603ca94d92311b71d84a31b271e3df MandrakeLinux-10.0-beta1-CD1.i586.iso0c5545f2a32ee885398caf32b6331f93 MandrakeLinux-10.0-beta1-CD2.i586.iso878231b880beb8323770e156110d6c8a MandrakeLinux-10.0-beta1-CD3.i586.iso-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)iD8DBQFAD4QP3WhNeiZ1JiQRAljaAKCdqV3Hb0+JU7RoRW5+YtNmuXCvcwCgipiRvKOqu9RLNrQ0zjZ7lY7XMDU==7F7W-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----with the checksum nubers inI've been trying to validate using in konsole$ md5sum MandrakeLinux-10.0-beta1-CD2.i586.iso&$ Cat MD5SUM.MandrakeLinux-10.0-beta1-CD2.i586.isoI get $ not found and also catThis cd2 is one of the ones @ 99% but with all the MB's downloadedWhat am I :lol: doing wrong here :lol: Colin :'(

Try this instead:md5sum -c MD5SUM.MandrakeLinux-10.0-beta1-CD2.i586.isoAssuming that's the "correct" name of the file with the MD5sums in it. It should say [OK] if the md5sum in the file matches the one calculated from the ISO.

ried that with the 99% CD2 and also the 100% CD1 and reply was no such file  :lol:
Yikes. You can also just run MD5SUM for each and compare the numbers directly. The format of the md5sum check file looks wrong to me. I've never seen it with the GPG Signature in it before. Personally, I'd stay away from the Mandrake 10 beta from what I've heard so far. It's very early and will probably change a lot before release. I thought that Mandrake 9.2 has a 2.6 kernel available, just not installed by default. That'd probably be a better way to go about it.I think the reason that many distros haven't put 2.6 in yet is because it has a lot of new stuff in it. I think distro makers are also being more cautious, which in my opinion, is a very good thing.

Thoughts Jason :o Maybe I DON'T have MD5SUM installed I understand it has to be downloaded for Windows to do the same checks.And Yes :thumbsup: as much as I have dcownloaded Mandrake 10 I HAVE seen the Forums experience with it and they are NOT Explorers like me IT may be safe to leave it well alone for now.BUT I'm getting Antsy to TRY :D :o another DistroBut that's the Scorpio Intensity & Impatience taking control :thumbsup: :D colin :D

Hi ColinEvery Linux distro has md5sum installed . . . so as long as you did the download in Linux, doing the checksum should work, just try again without the $ . . . Also the Mandrake 10 beta is pretty stable, so no worries there . . . . sure most of the time Drakes betas are buggy as a Christmas tree . . . . . but this beta is an exception and you are safe to try it.Colin, you wanted adventure . . . well here it is . . don't back down now ( after all we are here to help you ) and just download CD2 again if it did not finish completely :thumbsup: :DB) Bruno

Hi BrunoI tried :thumbsup: it without the $ and File Not Found was the answer, both on the OK CD1 and the 99% stalled CD2 but we will try again after a trip to the states i will try the download in windows this time & see what happensColin B)

Cause :D I'm more comfortable with Nero BurningBUT the windows downloader was giving me palpitations NOW they are downloading in Suse :D Hopefully they will all download while I am down in Eureka MT, leaving in the next mins or so :D I jus deleted all the Mandrakes and started again, HOPE :D my isp is understanding :D Colin :D

$ md5sum MandrakeLinux-10.0-beta1-CD2.i586.iso
You changed your directory to where the files are before running that command right?cd /where/files/are/downloadedmd5sum MandrakeLinux-10.0-beta1-CD2.i586.iso

I may be way off base here, but...coal-mining maintenance taught me to look for the easiest approach first and foremost:When I download "iso's" and "md5sum's", I put them both in the same directory - < /home/quint/iso >, then when I check the "iso" file, I open the konsole from the "Tools" button in Konqueror in the folder containing the "iso" file and "md5sum" file; that way just type in: < md5sum name_of_iso >. HTH. :D

Well here we go again :D Bruno/Quint/Sonic Dragon :D Hey Quint nice to :D SEE someone else had devoted a life to Mining, Years I was at it in UK/Canada/Australia anywheres from a Worker to and Undermanager all Underground from 2.0 ft to 50ft seams Congrats :D ColinEnough fooling around all my Iso's and midsums were in home/kamicota/documents/linux/Mandrake 10BUT ---> I open....- iso >." I didn't do B) Sonic Dragon those were the commands I tried but :D File Not foundBruno :D B) B) Back from Montana & new downloads = CD1 = 99% but all KD downloaded and same with CD2. CD3 @ 46% and still downloaded ( HECK B) :w00t: :w00t: this will take me up close to 5G on a 6G limit :huh: ;) :( ;) :D Oh well where do we go from here ;) While I'm in the mood as Joyce has dindins just about done--->>> New DECISIONS B) hopefully = Only 2 x 10G linux Drives to Play with Xandros 2.0, Mandrake 10.0 beta 1, Suse and Lindows 4.5---> :D How does that sound & shoot B) haven't even got manxcrake downloaded and schecked yet B) Colin :D

Righty Ho B) found an easy way to CHECKSUMUsed K3b and it checked the cds for checksum and ALL 3 CD's B) were validatedBurned cd1 with k3b but couldn't find anywhere :w00t: to make it a bootable CD so as yet have not tried itSo ;) leaving CD's 2 & 3 until either further advice or I can help myself.Really would love this on to drive "F" by itself for now just to explore the realm of the 2.6 kernel and what else there is in mandrake 10Colin :w00t: