460 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 20,582 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostTemmu, on 11 May 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

eric has taken urmas' place as the "comic picture for everything man" - and that's a good thing. :D

Hmm... I s'pose there are worse associations. ;)

View PostLilBambi, on 11 May 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

Depends on whether it's new or old money. ;)

I'd be happy to receive either. :yes:

#52 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

All this yadder yadder about money .There is so much in the wrong.hands/places .so many want so much more and so many have so little . Its only a concept. Just numbers . Smoke and mirrors. Its worthless per se. Yet it is the only universal *religion*   Anything beyond a modest security is an obscenity .

Anyway the more one disperses the more returns . Give of one's plenty and the more one receives. It really does happen.The more it is chased the faster it runs away.Ill used and heavy Taxes are an abomination.  We live in a crazy world of crazy ideas ,struggling to uphold a concept of fairness and equanimity in the face of rotten avarice. And all we are saying is "Give Peace A Chance"
Linux counter no . 393441

#53 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 20,582 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

Well, that's a nice philosophy. However, I've learned one thing over the many years I've been around this place...

Having $$$ makes life better. :)

#54 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:54 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 11 May 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

Well, that's a nice philosophy. However, I've learned one thing over the many years I've been around this place...

Absolutely true.
But surely, at some point there is enough.

Wait, did I just call you Shirley?

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#55 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,228 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:02 AM

View Postamenditman, on 11 May 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

Wait, did I just call you Shirley?

Rofl :hysterical:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#56 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

Hmm in my experience $$$ does not make life "better" merely more comfortable. :yes:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#57 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,504 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

It can help you enjoy happiness a bit easier and relieve a lot of stress in a society such as ours that is based on currency that is more fake than real these days. But it still can't buy happiness. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#58 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 20,582 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

More comfortable IS better.

And for the right price, I'd legally change my name to Shirley. ;)

$$$ can sure as h3ll buy me a lot of things to substitute for happiness. :yes:

#59 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,504 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

But not very well. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#60 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 20,582 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

I'd be willing to take that chance. I've done (am doing) poverty. It really sucks. Having money can't be much worse. I'm a firm believer in my mom's philosophy... $$$ can't buy you happiness, but it makes misery much more pleasant to deal with.

#61 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

I realize it is extremely difficult to live by this philosophy in an urban setting .Where the almighty dollar rules.
Hence the fact that having abandoned crowded conurbations for the relative quiet of a small village thirty years ago ,I have found all the comforts of a good home ,decent neighbours,an inexpensive way of life and *Tao* has supplied me with all my aspirations and needs.

I don't know how
I don't know why
I just accept this bounty and share what I can.

I also feel a lot for all those who are stressed out just keeping a home and food on the table.

But one thing for sure .One has to have had a lot of cash at one time to find this way.

#62 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,525 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

well, the pharaohs spent on a small party what most of us make in a year or two. you may have noticed (if you ever visited a museum) they didn't take it with them.
Posted Image

#63 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

It's unusual for me to be on-line this early in the day . But its raining heavily and I'm not in the mood for indoor carpentry.My hands are sore after the latest stint. So I'm sitting here catching up with a glass of red wine and a cigeret o:) Got an old pc loading xpsp1. maybe add 2 to it later . But I will d/load Puppy and "stick* it just to try it out on that pc. If I like the way it "boots" over the installed os I will have to install it on the HD. and blow XP back down the tubes.
Cheesh dis wine ish good. >_< :'( .
Well even if its raining the wx is a lot warmer and I may divest myself of the top three T-shirts under my two sweaters.
I will not have the same bulk so I hope not to get slagged over losing weight :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:
Going for anudder wyyne mush b 16% at leasht. :luck: The penalty for being oirish :luck:
Dats me mini plog for the day ..Bye now..Dongetpished. :cat:

#64 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 20,582 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

Mmmm... wine for breakfast. I don't think I could handle that nowadays. Course, I'm only a diluted part Irish. That may be my problem. ;)

#65 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

Well my drunken efforts yesterday wound up with the dmn Pc getting booted and suited alright . Now for the good bit.When I started it up today I had an idea something wernt pukker,took me a while but the resolution was way off and when I tried to reset it *** no luck*** its jammed in 4bit lol.
Had a look in dev man. No monitor .and allsorts corrupt ,dll's missing , cheesh ! So I wonder if its worth the bother after all . 20gig HD 254 ram 1.8 cpu . ...Might make a good doorstop . Dont talk to me about the bios . I think Dell made really short life boxes . Definately not bullet proof .

The screen is like look out of a yashmac or a rough net curtain ..
Anyway I'll use it for a door stop for a while until I can revive a little interest . :bounce: :bounce: :clap: :fish: :fish: :fish: :ermm:  Going back to guinness. At least thats something I know about .

#66 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 20,582 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

Guinness makes computers? Oh, wait... I see. You're going back to this:

Posted Image

#67 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

shaad appp!!! That one just looks purrfekt !!!Ya gotta luv it :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Is that your local.

#68 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 20,582 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Nope. That's a virtual Guinness from some site on the Internet. Tastes like nothing; less filling. ;)

#69 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

Thinking I'll bump this with some light banter..
Anyway ,as you see I logon almost every night .
Then I catch up on all the new posts
.I am learning a lot from the interaction between you guys.
That's good for me.
Keeps the cortex open .
When that's done I drift over to the serious linux how'to pages
Had a look at the ports last nite ,surprised there were NO surprises.
Then after the serious stuff I go for a wander round the net looking for interesting footage ,news,movies, etc.
Still havent got sound on Skype as Dmn.PulseAudio is back .
Must have come down with the update/upgrade. Whatever.
I have to get to terms with ALSA and find a way to make that my preferred sound *engine*
** :th_0142: :th_Smileywave: :th_0142: :blink2:

If you watch above until they go in sync you're as crazy as me . :hysterical:

#70 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 20,582 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Oooh! Optical contusions... er, I mean illusions. COOL! :look:

#71 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

The requested URL /nhf/Programming/Introduction_to_bash_Shell_Scripting.html was not found on this server.

Where's this gone.

#72 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,504 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

likely need the whole URL. That URL doesn't have the domain. Here's one that has that:

http://www.xmarks.co..._Scripting.html
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#73 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

AAAhhh!!!!yesssss!! That's the ticket .. Many thanks for that. L.B. :star: :star: :star: :th_moon-smiley:

#74 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

Had a nasty nightmare last night . Cant remember it ,probably good as I woke up is a sweat . So this morning I went out in the truck for a plug around the local town and loaded up a ton of spoil from and hauled that home . I needed the exercise . Now the arthritus in my back is at me ,But I should sleep well tonite .

Boring this aint it .

I have to get an up to date book on Linux as the O'Reilly I have is dog eared out of date and only yadders on about Red Hat.
So I have to do a fair bit of deciphering to get thing along on Debian.
Still not competent with Deb. When I am satisfied or completely frustrated I will get back on to the other box and finish Slackware.

Ah yes the past three days have been warm and sunny ,not the usual rain and drizzle ,so I got a bit more work on my roof done .

While I've been typing this the "no icons " thread came to mind . This happened to me a couple of years ago . and as i remember it was caused by a virus called F-Nimba or something like that . Avira .got rid and after that no worries as I used that for a firewall afterwards.

Maybe someone could do a trace and help that guy out .

Now I'm going for a BIG WHISKEY .. :devil: :devil: :devil:

#75 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 20,582 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

Happy Sunday! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users