Photo

Windows Mobile: The walking dead never die

Today, 02:46 PM

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

Microsoft’s Windows Mobile smartphone operating system:

A) Is alive, well and kicking.
B) Is finally about to be killed after billions of dollars thrown down the drain.
C) Continues to live a zombie life.
D) Is … wait. Microsoft has a smartphone operating system? Who knew?

The correct answer is C, but D would be an understandable response. In fact, A is the only answer with no truth about it. Microsoft has spent billions of dollars on Windows Mobile over the past 21 years (counting from the introduction of the Windows CE operating system for mobile devices), including paying approximately $7.9 billion to buy Nokia in 2014 — and then writing off $7.6 billion of the purchase in 2015. So there’s truth in answer B, except for the part about Microsoft preparing to kill it off.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

View the full article

2 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Android 8.0: The complete Oreo FAQ

Today, 01:02 PM

View the full article

4 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Is mobile killing the LAN?

Today, 08:11 AM

I was talking with an industry CEO the other day, and he offered an intriguing thought. He said the LAN is dead — along with its associated routers and hubs and other network hardware — and that mobile has killed it. But the LAN isn’t dead, I resisted, noting that there are LANs within just about every corporate campus in the country.

And yet his argument can’t be dismissed. All of the data and security assumptions that existed when LANs came into being have gone away, courtesy of cloud and mobile. Still, I insisted, that’s an argument for why LANs should be dead, not that they are.

[ Also read:Apple, the enterprise, and why mobile matters ]

Let’s explore this a bit more. The CEO I was chatting with is Steven Sprague from a cybersecurity vendor called Rivetz.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 45 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Bing, Google, Yahoo

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS