Problem - my root partition is suddenly full ???

laan97ac

HiI am now running root in single user mode since my root partition hda5 is full for whatever reason.I recently formatted an external HDU 80GB and mounted it by error in /sda80 instead of under /mnt/sda1 which would be more normal. All of a sudden I can no longer start KDE or GNOME since my root partition is full.I have run du --max-depth=1 and gets all directories and sizes listed in /All look fine/home is big but that is on another partition./mnt is big because my windows partition is mounted here/usr is big because of /usr/share and /usr/lib (can I clear something here?)Most concerning is that du --max-depth=1 ends up listing a big thing with 64G size but only description is .du --max-depth=1 gives me this:16K ./lost+found37G ./mnt23G ./home2.6M ./dev38M ./etc36K ./tmp194M ./var127M ./root897M ./proc0 ./sys2.8G ./usr3.6M ./boot6.4M ./sbin5.4M ./bin32M ./lib8K ./initrd4K ./opt0 ./.autofsck24K ./sda80 (where I accidentally mounted external 80 GB HDU)4K ./.bash_history64G .What is those 64G . ????????????df gives meFilesystem size used avail mounted on/dev/hda5 5.8G 5.5G 0 //dev/hda7 29G 23G 5.9 /home/dev/hda1 39G 38G 1.5G /mnt/windows/dev/sda1 74G 129M 70G /sda80running du --max-depth=1 on /usr gives1.2G /share151M ./bin1.3G ./lib7.2M ./sbin96M ./X11R64K ./etc104K ./games86M ./include92K ./local36K ./src4K ./java0 ./tmp8K ./ppc64-linux8K ./ppc-linux2.8G .Again, what are those unspecified 2.8G . ??????Help is appreciated as it is no fun only to run prompt in single user mode!

What is those 64G . ???????????? . . . . . Again, what are those unspecified 2.8G . ??????
Hi Laan . . . the answer is simple . . . . those are the totals B) See. the dot after the 64G tells you it is current directory . . . .Now if you take off the 37G ( /mnt/windows ) and 23G ( /home ) from the 64G ( total / ) it seems your / is only full for 4G.You can even try this ( logged in as root !!! ):
# umount /mnt/windows# umount /sda80 # umount /home# cd /# du --max-depth=1

And you will see that the 64G . dropped by a big amount.It is not clear to me why you get the message that your drives are full . . . or it would be that your /home is cramped . . . . Can you still log in X as root ? B) Bruno

Hi Laan . . . the answer is simple . . . . those are the totals B) See. the dot after the 64G tells you it is current directory . . . .Now if you take off the 37G ( /mnt/windows ) and 23G ( /home ) from the 64G ( total / ) it seems your / is only full for 4G.You can even try this ( logged in as root !!! ):
# umount /mnt/windows# umount /sda80 # umount /home# cd /# du --max-depth=1

And you will see that the 64G . dropped by a big amount.It is not clear to me why you get the message that your drives are full . . . or it would be that your /home is cramped . . . . Can you still log in X as root ? B) Bruno

SOLVEDThanx Bruno.It was bad mounting of my reformatted USB harddrive.I mistakenly mounted it in / and started copying files there. But, the system did not recognize the device so when I moved files, I moved them to the root partition instead of on the harddrive. So now I am back on track and will install filelight asapNext thing is to find out why I can mount a filesystem /mnt/sda1 but the system does not recognize the device. thanx